Author Topic: 352nd FG - Blue Color Help  (Read 5962 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: 352nd FG - Blue Color Help
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2018, 01:01:12 PM »
Note the comment that as part of Lend Lease the British were to supply paint to meet US requirements.

Thank you Guppy for the round about answer to my question. And Like I pointed out, all AAF fighters used the British MKII gunsight that flew fighter v fighter missions. You can see the MKII in both of these P51B. Only starting with the P47-D20, was shipping with the MK8 untill 45 when they were updated with the Mk14 and the P51D came with the MK14 in 44. The P51B\C was never fitted with the N9 like ours becasue the mounting required too much cutting and refitting of the instrument panel. P51-B\C were shipped to England with the N3 and all refitted with British MKII at the reassembly depots along with P47-D model earlier than the 20 series. Our D-11 should have a MKII british gunsight. Meh, we have an F4u-1 with an early prototype gunsight used only by training units that was completely replaced with the MK8 by the time the F4u-1 made it's first combat sortie in the Pacific.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2018, 04:13:51 PM »
Interesting observations, bustr.

Here's the latest color test.

”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2018, 04:34:58 PM »
Both shaded still look far too bold. You're going to need to make custom mixes to dull and darken the blues.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2018, 04:37:31 PM »
Both shaded still look far too bold. You're going to need to make custom mixes to dull and darken the blues.

So I am basically eyeballing it?
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2018, 04:45:31 PM »
Based on how different these blues look on your skin vs how they look in the reference, yes.

BTW, blues are a PITA. So don't beat yourself up over it. I had to do the same thing with the Jg 54 tail bands.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 04:47:42 PM by Devil 505 »
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2018, 06:05:31 PM »
Based on how different these blues look on your skin vs how they look in the reference, yes.

BTW, blues are a PITA. So don't beat yourself up over it. I had to do the same thing with the Jg 54 tail bands.

Could it be partly due to lighting effects?

”KILLER V”
The Damned

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2018, 06:29:34 PM »
Could it be partly due to lighting effects?

(Image removed from quote.)

in your specific case, maybe. but even in AH2, making a blue shade that looked good was a challenge.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2018, 06:46:04 PM »
It might help if you paint in your panel lines and grime it up a bit. You might find that the details pull that color in line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2018, 08:05:45 PM »
It might help if you paint in your panel lines and grime it up a bit. You might find that the details pull that color in line.

The problem is, to get the panel lines right I need to narrow down the shade. The P-51 cowling 3D shape has a Roman nose effect (to use a horse term) and wraps in a complicated fashion.   With the anti-glare panel you can mask this some, but with a solid color like this it’s just tough to manage.   I’d like to get into the ballpark then weather it up.   Maybe you’re right, I dunno. 

in your specific case, maybe. but even in AH2, making a blue shade that looked good was a challenge.

I may shoot via eyeballing for the blue on that model posted by Guppy. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 08:54:30 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2018, 09:02:34 PM »
Can you work the panel line mark below the diffuse layer with the diffuse layer set to a lower opacity?

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2018, 09:06:22 PM »
Can you work the panel line mark below the diffuse layer with the diffuse layer set to a lower opacity?

I better ask Devil again.  What should I do?  Black panel lines with an opacity adjustment to the layer opacity?
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2018, 09:08:24 PM »
That is one route, I really need to pull one of the files over to photoshop to look at the mechanics of it all.

Most of my advice comes from years of asset creation for other platforms and applications.

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2018, 09:18:32 PM »
What I think Ciaphas means is placing the blue layer(s) under all the weathering and detail layers as if it was on the final product. This would help.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2018, 09:46:22 PM »
What I think Ciaphas means is placing the blue layer(s) under all the weathering and detail layers as if it was on the final product. This would help.

The problem I’m having is the way the noise layers interact with the shape.  It causes all the seams to show and really screws with the colors to the point you have so many variations it’s hard to know what to tweak.   I had to delete them around the nose for my sanity.   I can add them back later and then tweak the blue back to where it should be. 

I just need to know what the final color should be.  If it’s that shade of blue on the screenshot, as shown...I can probably hit that for in-game use.   

I have to step away from it for a day due to work but I will try to post what I’m talking about when I get a chance to work on it. 

:salute
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2018, 10:13:28 PM »
The problem I’m having is the way the noise layers interact with the shape.  It causes all the seams to show and really screws with the colors to the point you have so many variations it’s hard to know what to tweak.   I had to delete them around the nose for my sanity.   I can add them back later and then tweak the blue back to where it should be. 

Check the noise layers at full power. I'm sure you'll find one piece has a lighter section at the seam and it's counterpart is darker on it's side of the seam. Try inverting the layer on one part to see if it helps.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com