Author Topic: Question about adding BB group to existing terrains  (Read 852 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Question about adding BB group to existing terrains
« on: April 27, 2018, 11:10:35 AM »
How easy/difficult is it to add a BB group for each country to existing scenario terrains?   

I'm thinking in particular about the Solomons and New Britain terrains.   Does the original terrain builder have to do this using his original source material as a starting point?   Or can it be done with the material that was submitted  HTC?  As is the case with orphaned skins, can someone adopt the terrain and add them?

Thanks!

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Question about adding BB group to existing terrains
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 11:44:48 AM »
HTC has the current version project folder and files for that terrain. Someone opens it in the terrain editor and adds the BB group to the ports exactly like adding a CV group. Then run the build, give the project folders\files back to HTC, and push a new res file to everyone as they logon to that special arena. Unless it's something Hitech, Skuzzy or Waffle does.

Hitech had me add the BB task groups to all the ports on BowlMA after I had finalized the build. That is why their ID numbers are not sequential to the port numbers.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 12:55:05 PM »
Thank you, Bustr.  It sounds pretty straightforward.

Is there still a terrain team?   I'm wondering why the BB group hasn't been added to some scenario terrains - for example the next scenario is supposed to simulate Lancaster "Tallboy" bombing of the Tirpitz in the Norwegian fjords, but apparently there is no battleship to bomb - only cruisers in the terrain being used.

I'm interested also in getting some BB groups added to the New Britain, Luzon and Solomons terrains.  Now that we have the battleship group, might would add another dimension to scenarios to have them available in the terrains...

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 04:36:32 PM »
Could always ask Hitech direct. Easyscor is still working terrains for AVA and SEA I think and a few other AvA\SEA terrain people. The BB is kind of an extreme piece of hardware like introducing B29 just becasue they were in the Pacific.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 04:37:02 PM »
When Spikes was having the Morocco terrain made for out FSO design, we encountered the same problem. We had wanted to have the BB as the French battleship, Jean Bart, which was moored in Casablanca harbor. The problem is that the BB (and CV) are bases which need map rooms hidden in the terrain. Also the BB and CV cannot be made stationary. So we had to use the cruiser shape for the Jean Bart.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 06:05:46 PM »
When Spikes was having the Morocco terrain made for out FSO design, we encountered the same problem. We had wanted to have the BB as the French battleship, Jean Bart, which was moored in Casablanca harbor. The problem is that the BB (and CV) are bases which need map rooms hidden in the terrain. Also the BB and CV cannot be made stationary. So we had to use the cruiser shape for the Jean Bart.

So we won't be able to have the Tirpitz sitting at anchor in a fjord for the scenario?  It has to be underway at sea?

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 06:25:24 PM »
If the Tirpitz is to be represented by a BB, then you are correct. However, a static cruiser can be used to represent a moored Tirpitz.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 10:58:39 AM »
Easy does AvA not SEA terrains.

I support the SEA terrains.

Been working on other updates for several of them. Basically I have 26 terrains to maintain and working on new terrains. So it is not high on my priority list to go and put BBs unless a CM requests them to be added for his or her event.

For the fjord scenario I am busy updating that terrain for the event per Brooke's requests. Fixing some fields, some more air spawns, and placing CAs statically. Should wrap up that update this weekend.

It just a matter of time and priorities and putting in a request for a certain terrain. But if you want to see BBs movable fleets on specific terrain fire off a PM and I will add it to my bucket list of things to do.

Oh, unfortunately BBs and CVs can not be placed statically in a terrain but CAs and DDs can. Which is why we have used CAs to represent moored BBs in Hawaii and Morocco.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 03:53:37 PM »
Northsea has been updated per Brooke's requests (new airspawn, change of alt to some airspawns, 6 static CAs). I also threw in 1 BB group for the Knights and 4 BBs groups for the Bishops. No custom skins for planes at this time though.
CM Terrain Team

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 07:21:06 PM »
That's great, Ghostdancer, thank you.  Opens up some new possibilities.   

I think the NewBrit and Solomons terrains might benefit from having BB groups available at some point down the road as well. 

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 07:53:16 AM »
Yeah I can add those and thinking about adding a bunch of static CAs and DDs to Rabaul's Harbor.
CM Terrain Team

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 08:43:53 AM »
Yeah I can add those and thinking about adding a bunch of static CAs and DDs to Rabaul's Harbor.

Great idea!