Author Topic: New Player Observations  (Read 5685 times)

Offline twistedtechmike

• Zinc Member
New Player Observations
« on: June 21, 2018, 08:00:26 AM »
Few things I've noticed, not sure if this is typical game play or not.

1. Knights are always outnumbered. Ive paid close attention the last 3-5 days, and its consistent. It seems to be a larger disparity when Rooks/Bish are both invading.
2. There appears to be a lack of organization on a country-wide basis, as-in it feels like most players are just doing their own thing and less coordinated attacks.
3. The game map seems to change daily. I thought the maps stayed in play for longer periods of time.

Looking for insight from more experienced players to understand if this is typical game play, or is it just me being noob?
XCal
Former AW Dweeb

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: New Player Observations
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 08:38:39 AM »
With regard to the map thing, it depends on the map. Some are pretty easily steamrolled and may only last a few hours. The larger ones tend to stay longer (more bases to meet the % owned requirement).

I definitely don't think there is as much coordination as there used to be. Years ago there were always a couple guys on each country coordinating large missions and stuff like that.

If you'd like some coordinated action check out FSO on Fridays.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline twistedtechmike

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 08:53:52 AM »
Sad about the maps, gonna take some time to learn if they go so quickly. I'll look into the events for sure, thanks!
XCal
Former AW Dweeb

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 09:27:57 AM »
Sad about the maps, gonna take some time to learn if they go so quickly. I'll look into the events for sure, thanks!
Yeah, unfortunately some of the worst ones stay up the longest. :)

Knights have always been historically outnumbered, no real rhyme or reason I don't think. It usually means cheap perked rides though!

Not sure of your time zone, but FSO is at 11pm EST and lasts for 2 hours (or until you die, 1 life event). It is always fun, tomorrow is the last frame of the month and it is Midway. Hope to see ya there!
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 09:40:21 AM »
Meh if you go back 13 years the bish where the ones who where outnumbered. Thats why i became a bish lol.. i like being the underdog :p

The last frame of the scenario is also coming up Saturday! Its loads of fun and your more than welcome to come along!! (3pm eastern)

DutchVII
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline twistedtechmike

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 09:44:04 AM »
Ouch 11PM EST may be a little late for this old fart. Maybe I can make the Sat event though. Thanks again for the welcomes!
XCal
Former AW Dweeb

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 09:52:08 AM »
This gave me a thought, what do you think about implementing a minimum map time?

HiTech

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 10:02:50 AM »
This gave me a thought, what do you think about implementing a minimum map time?

HiTech
How would it work? Just spitballing:

1.) The required amount of bases needed to win are not capture-able until X time.
2.) Bases stay as is, but if the % threshold is met the map simply doesn't reset until X time.

I don't think a minimum time would hurt, it would at least allow some of the smaller maps to stay up more than 5 or 6 hours.

FlyKommando.com

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 10:04:12 AM »

HiTech

I may be wrong, but I thought we had that or perhaps we had that at one time.  So how would it work, normal win the war changes a map, or if no one wins in x numbers of hours the map gets rolled?  X could be any number, perhaps adjustable by the game keepers. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 10:10:22 AM »

1. Knights are always outnumbered. Ive paid close attention the last 3-5 days, and its consistent. It seems to be a larger disparity when Rooks/Bish are both invading.
2. There appears to be a lack of organization on a country-wide basis, as-in it feels like most players are just doing their own thing and less coordinated attacks.
3. The game map seems to change daily. I thought the maps stayed in play for longer periods of time.

Looking for insight from more experienced players to understand if this is typical game play, or is it just me being noob?

1. The game is designed so that one side is always outnumbered by the combined total of the other two countries. 
2. At one time, Knights had the a great number of squads that would combine efforts , missions, and people would join.
3. Remember that in its hay day, AH could have 600 or more in the Main arena.  The large maps were necessary.  The last three years has seen the greatest downturn of players. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 10:14:02 AM »

Not really.  You have layouts of the fields that identify the targets, all fields are on each map and there is no fog of war so you know the location of each and ever field from the get go.

Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 12:20:08 PM »

HiTech

I've often thought it would be a decent idea, the main concern I can see would be people steamrolling one side back to their uncapturables on the smaller maps.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 12:21:03 PM »

1. It's cyclical and affects all sides, not just Knights.  You'll find times that the other sides are out numbered as well.  It can be due to the time of day, weekends and also maybe caused by some of the larger squadrons switching sides.
2. It's on open sand box game, people play how they want to play.  Some like to just furball, while others are into the "Win the war" aspect of the game, which can make coordination sometimes difficult for those that want run operations with the goal of winning the war.  Nothing wrong with either style of playing.
3. Depends on the map, some maps are easier to reset than others.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 12:30:09 PM »

HiTech

It would be fine for popular maps, but unpopular ones would cause headaches. 

I seem to recall in Brand X that if a map was won too quickly the reset brought that map back up again.   Once that map had been in rotation for X hours a win would rotate it out. 

Those maps were total victory two-sided war, though. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 02:13:48 PM »
I like the "if a map won to quickly its brought back again idea until its been up for X hours."