Author Topic: Looking For Old Military Records  (Read 1706 times)

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
Re: Looking For Old Military Records
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2018, 12:25:45 PM »
Dan maybe you could tell people how you go about doing this research.

I did some research on my Canadian granduncles (8) from WW1 starting with Archives Canada. Even found a video, tho couldn't pick one granduncle out.

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2018, 08:37:44 PM »
Hoping to find after action reports for the Meuse Argonne stuff. I'd guess he was among those 1277 casualties, many who were sent home to convalesce  which would explain his getting home Feb 1, 1919 and the early discharge on the 22nd.  Might take a little bit, but I think it's doable.  And if we're lucky his Army Records survived the 70s fire at the Records Center in St. Louis.  I'll let you know when I find out.
I was talking to a relative at a family reunion tonight and turns out he wasn’t technically wounded, but hospitalized with a severe case of Spanish Flu during the 1918 outbreak. Apparently severe enough to warrant a discharge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2018, 01:17:13 PM »
How do you find current data, or specifically Vietnam data? I'm kind of curious as to what medals I got (if any), in the Air Force, I don't have a clue.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2018, 01:29:43 PM »
How do you find current data, or specifically Vietnam data? I'm kind of curious as to what medals I got (if any), in the Air Force, I don't have a clue.
Hey Kenai

This webpage has the address for the archives in St Louis

National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138 or

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/replace-medals.html#air-force

guess it helps to put the link in

and a link for online requests. Your dd214 should show awards up to when you seperated, but sometimes some unit awards get added afterwards. I had to get all mine replaced when lost in a move (Army) and they even replaced the Purple Heart with the name engraved like the original.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 01:32:38 PM by redcatcherb412 »
Ground Pounders ...

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2018, 10:42:46 PM »
Thanks Redctchr.  :salute
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2018, 08:47:23 AM »
Thanks Redctchr.  :salute

No problem sir, good luck with your search.  :salute
Ground Pounders ...

Offline BFOOT1

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 01:01:01 PM »
Dan, mind if I PM you stuff as well? Just let me know what information you need to help you out sir!
Member of G3MF
III Gruppe, 8 Staffel, JG52, flying Black 12 (Kuban Scenario)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2018, 07:16:45 PM »
Dan, mind if I PM you stuff as well? Just let me know what information you need to help you out sir!

No problem :aok

Branch, today I got in the mail a reprint copy of the 36th Division in the World War, written in 1920.   Author is H. Ben Chastaine.   I got it for five bucks on abebooks.com.    Fascinating book.  The roll of honor in the back is frightening when you see how many guys died in just 2 days in October 1918.   Still waiting to hear back on whether any of his records survived the St.Louis fire
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2018, 07:28:42 PM »
Think about how horrific the first day in combat his C Company endured on October 8, 1918.  They had 41 KIAs.  A Company is 80-150 guys.   So they lost 1/3rd to a half of thier strength on the first day.  I can’t imagine what that must have been like. 

I wonder if his sickness in the end saved him?
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2018, 07:45:02 PM »
From the history it says there were 160 cases of influenza in the division.  This was post armistice so it’s possible grandpa was there on the 8th.  C Company was in the first wave of attackers and got held up in the wire and hammered by machine guns.  The regimental commander was leading them and was one of the first killed by a shell burst.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2018, 08:19:14 PM »
On casualties

The Royal Newfoundland Regiment at Beaumont-Hamel in the Somme battle, of 780 men who went forward only about 110 survived unscathed, of whom only 68 were available for roll call the following day.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2018, 03:01:27 AM »
Think about how horrific the first day in combat his C Company endured on October 8, 1918.  They had 41 KIAs.  A Company is 80-150 guys.   So they lost 1/3rd to a half of thier strength on the first day.  I can’t imagine what that must have been like. 

It will blow your mind, WHEN you consider all the forces involved with YOU BEING HERE today! Through out all of history...Black Death, wars, plain ole stupidity, the list is too long to comprehend! I thank God EVERY day, that you guys are here! It sure does inspire me to live with purpose. Saw a quote from Mark Twain..."The most important days in one's life, are the day they are born...and the day they understood WHY". WOW  :rock Well one reason why...was to give me purpose to carry on  :salute
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 03:10:50 AM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2018, 04:21:01 PM »
One of the joys of hunting for stuff like this is learning about stuff I don’t know.   Mailman dropped off another book today

“They called them Soldier Boys” by Gregory W. Ball.  It’s the history of the 142nd Infantry Regiment in WW1.  Not grandpas 141st, but they were right next to them throughout the war.  Sadly no luck on a specific 141st history.

The definitive work on the 36th is a bit out of my price range right now with the lowest price being $200.   

The Ball book gives a good accounting of the formation of the Texas regiments as well as more specifics on the combat in WW1, with good maps to go with accounts of the fighting.  Might be worth your while if you want some good background on grandpa’s war.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2018, 10:33:06 AM »

That is umfathonable. My infantry company strength was ninety and in one firefight in May 68 we had three KIA and nine WIA. They rolled the remaining guys to merge with another under strength company. I can't imagine the effect 40-60pct losses in one firefight. The casualties in WW1 with the open charges I have read about are horrendous.

Ground Pounders ...

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2018, 07:13:46 PM »
That is umfathonable. My infantry company strength was ninety and in one firefight in May 68 we had three KIA and nine WIA. They rolled the remaining guys to merge with another under strength company. I can't imagine the effect 40-60pct losses in one firefight. The casualties in WW1 with the open charges I have read about are horrendous.
EXACTLY. AND they KEPT ON and ON. No quit in them, its simply amazing to me.Bond of brotherhood or whatever kept them going...THAT is what is amazing to me. The fact that they KNEW FULL well what was waiting in the days to come, and STILL forged on. All you guys are my HEROES  :rock
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain