Author Topic: Looking For Old Military Records  (Read 1705 times)

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
Looking For Old Military Records
« on: June 27, 2018, 11:39:06 AM »
Anybody know a good place to start looking for old records of somebody that served in the US Army around 1917-18?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
Re: Looking For Old Military Records
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 01:53:29 PM »
That's a tough nut to crack.  There was a huge fire at the federal military records facility in Missouri in the early 70's, and huge chunk of history was lost.  You can still research by hand what they have left, but there's not much left from 1912 to 1960. 

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 02:43:56 PM »
I’m looking for information on my great grandfather to be exact. All I know is that he was in action in France sometime in 1918, and that he never talked about it to anyone. He died in the 70s, and Both of his kids are dead. As far as I know, nobody has his discharge papers or anything like that.

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 03:18:22 PM »
I’m looking for information on my great grandfather to be exact. All I know is that he was in action in France sometime in 1918, and that he never talked about it to anyone. He died in the 70s, and Both of his kids are dead. As far as I know, nobody has his discharge papers or anything like that.

PM me Branch.  I chase this stuff for fun.  lots of resources :)

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 03:49:56 PM »
PM me Branch.  I chase this stuff for fun.  lots of resources

And proven performance.

- oldman

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 04:14:32 PM »
Yes,I ran into this problem while researching my Grand Fathers Navy service in WW2 :uhoh He never talked about it really. Only for about 10 minutes, then he would look off and change the subject. All I know is that he was a Machinists Mate on a boat and was at some of the action in Solomon Islands. Never knew his boat or which Solomon Island fight. I do remember VERY CLEAR...the reaction he had when my Dad drove to his house in a Toyota Tercel in 84'. Wasnt till some years after that, but his hatred faded after his heart surgery. He told me that he couldnt see going to heaven if he carried the hate there with him.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 04:20:20 PM »
Check PM’s Guppy.

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 06:37:55 PM »
Check PM’s Guppy.

Dan (Guppy) has some very good connections. He also has a pretty impressive track record when it comes to acquiring information on people and craft.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 02:46:37 PM »
The hunt is off to a good start.

He belonged to C Company, 141st Infantry (First Texas), 36th Infantry Division.  Appears to have been wounded in action.  More to come hopefully.

A bit of background on where he served and fought overseas.

OVER THERE: The regiment sailed from New York on July 26, 1918, after intensive training at Camp Bowie. Arriving in France on August 6, it was assigned to the 13th Training area near Bar sur Aube. After moving into support positions in September, it was assigned to prepare to relieve the 2d U. S. Division in the Epernay-Chalons region. With the 142d Regiment, they took over the positions of the 9th and 23d U. S. Infantry regiments.

IN THE LINES: On October 8, 1918, the regiment began participation in one of the great chapters in its combat history, the Meuse-Argonne campaign. On that day, along a line extending four kilometers east to west, the 141st and 142d regiments attacked German positions, resulting in a "substantial gain of ground" but suffering casualties to sixty-six officers and 1,227 enlisted men. After being relieved by the 72d Brigade (143rd and 144 Inf), the unit side-stepped to take a place at the east end of the line of the 72d Brigade several days later. On October 27, the unit took part in the assault on "Foret (Forest?) Farm", and then was relieved on October 28th, taking no further combat action in the war. The unit returned to the United States after six additional months in France and was mustered out July 3, 1919.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 02:52:08 PM by Guppy35 »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 05:04:26 PM »
The hunt is off to a good start.

He belonged to C Company, 141st Infantry (First Texas), 36th Infantry Division.  Appears to have been wounded in action.  More to come hopefully.

First Texas <S>
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 05:42:08 PM »
Holy crap Guppy you have found more in a day than I’ve found in a few years. Very nice job sir. That picture of him and his wife that you sent me is one I have never seen. I only have 1 picture of them and it looks like it was taken at the same time but from a different angle.

I’ve known where he was buried, but I’ve never been there. That cemetery is way off the beaten path.

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 09:39:52 PM »
Holy crap Guppy you have found more in a day than I’ve found in a few years. Very nice job sir. That picture of him and his wife that you sent me is one I have never seen. I only have 1 picture of them and it looks like it was taken at the same time but from a different angle.

I’ve known where he was buried, but I’ve never been there. That cemetery is way off the beaten path.

Hoping to find after action reports for the Meuse Argonne stuff. I'd guess he was among those 1277 casualties, many who were sent home to convalesce  which would explain his getting home Feb 1, 1919 and the early discharge on the 22nd.  Might take a little bit, but I think it's doable.  And if we're lucky his Army Records survived the 70s fire at the Records Center in St. Louis.  I'll let you know when I find out.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 01:14:48 AM »
Guppy Sir, Your findings give me hope that the records could be out there  :rock When you get Branch taken care of..would like you to see what you can find about my Grand Fathers service in WW2 :pray
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2018, 11:33:17 AM »
Anybody know a good place to start looking for old records of somebody that served in the US Army around 1917-18?

www.USA.gov     US Army Records can be requested online.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 11:48:10 AM »
Guppy Sir, Your findings give me hope that the records could be out there  :rock When you get Branch taken care of..would like you to see what you can find about my Grand Fathers service in WW2 :pray

I'd be happy to.  Just PM me the details you have.  It's a fantastic hobby for me.  I learn more stuff this way :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters