Author Topic: Furball Lake  (Read 1980 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Furball Lake
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 05:00:24 PM »
'Logs' say nine different people flew in today's Breakfast Club. Two still there at the expected close of day so I'm leaving it open a bit longer.

The new player came back again too.

:banana:

:aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 04:08:26 AM »
Tiny terrains for a few friends are not as time consuming and daunting as the monsters for the MA.

Good you say that after vaguelly following your progress with Oceanea I decided I'd never touch AH maps!

Even saving the configuration of the arena is a bit of struggle. There's a huge amount of settings and variables clearly named by a programmer. It's not clear where things are saved on your computer and when to upload those to the server. Navigating the interface it is very easy to get lost. Is the dedicated terrain editor a bit more user-friendly?

Kind of removes the time question.....

I have no additional project capacity right now. When I'm free I'm either having a few fights or trying to get my joystick project in service. Perhaps when something pops off the top of the pile.

and I'd like to see some of these ideas come to life.

Just as a quick question, are the terrains restricted to 2½D? Is it possible to make Pacific-like tropical water, and is there any provision for adding lines in the map files like the electric fence in the MPA? Are the pieces of scenerary like bridges off-the-rack building blocks?

Incidentally I measured the time to the centre of the lake. Flying off the base flat and dropping in it takes 2:45 without WEP in my Ki-84. That's an average time obviously, depends where people are flying. If you want to keep the alt A1, A2 & A3 gives you takes a bit longer to accelerate. Not been any especial need for an altitude contest with the fights that are becoming standard. At least when I'm not afk.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2018, 12:54:09 PM »
I was recommending your friends with so many ideas do this and you host them from time to time.

All the objects are like a kit out of a box. You just lay them down following a few rules. Easyscor and Greebo have manuals and you can talk to terrain builders in the terrain editor section. I don't know the layout of your Furball Lake terrain but I suspect it's probably the same dimensions for distances as the center island furball area on NDisles.

The sculpting tools in the elevations tab are all projected against the terrain polymesh surface using a brush that can be set from 660ft to 6 miles diameter. It's like using a finger to push clay around. You can create a simple test terrain and finger paint ground and push it around to get an understanding of it. Kind of like set the elevation tool to 5000ft, set the brush to 6 miles. Then place it on the ocean and click. Then you have a 5k high 6 mile diameter cylinder of ground.

There is a raise hill tool and bull dozer tool that both cut and push terrain. The bull dozer tool you can lay your brush down on the ocean on one side of the cylinder and pull across to the other side on the ocean and click. Depending on the diameter you set the brush to, you will now have a water channel through your 5k cylinder. Or place the brush on an edge of the cylinder, pull it out and down to the water and click. Now you have a ramp. Or the raise hill tool, set the brush at 6miles, lay it on the water and click for a bit. Up raises a mountain. Or pull it and you raise a ridge line. Reduce the diameter of the brush, hold down the shift key, then you now have a cutting tool to cut into the mountain and ridge you just made.

I use the bulldozer at it's smallest brush size to create micro terrain around GV spawns. I carved some of the mountain features in my new project in the canyons with it. Hitech does not write a manual for the terrain editor, instead most of the tools if you hover the mouse over it will explain it's use. Even if you use a copy of L3DT, you still have some amount of touch up in the terrain editor before your terrain is ready to upload.

The terrain editor is pretty simple to use, understanding Hitechese in his short tool explanations sometimes is tricky. Still, pointing and clicking and pushing buttons to see what broke didn't take very long. You just create a test terrain where you slop ground around and run the tools against it to see what kind of a mess you can make. Pretty quickly you get the feel for what the tools do. Everything you need to know is right in front of you in the terrain editor GUI in simple Hitech english. It's rather a basic editor.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2018, 12:35:34 PM »
I feel like if you took the middle of the Ndisles map and made that it's own map. It would be far better than the Lake set up. It would also work great for FFA or Team death match. It's the perfect size and has a good atmosphere.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2018, 03:23:05 PM »
That is why I did it to the center of Oceania and what happens more often.... The numpties capture all the bases and screw everyone out of a fun time. Hitech won't allow those kinds of feilds to be made un-capturable becasue the MA is a capture the flag arena.

The furball island on NDisles is a simple formula. Three small airfields with the map room on the field thirteen miles apart in a triangle. You don't need air spawns becasue getting to the center will have you at furballing alt. Air spawns will encourage climbing to 20k as a solution to not having well developed ACM. And a cloud layer will not discourage that behavior. Hitech let me put a cloud layer over the NDisles furball island. They just hide in it to make up for a lack of skill. In AH2 without clouds the NDisles furball island ended up with numpties at 15-20k becasue they were getting towered quickly at furballing alts in the canyon. Furball lake got around the air spawn problems with 5k mesas and the three feilds closer than 13 miles.

This NDisles concept as a custom arena with a 16 player cap would work due to peer pressure. Even when NDisles is up, some rotations the numpties capture all three furball feilds but, visually becasue there is land between them and the next field out, recapture furballs start up if the shore line large airfield is still in the hands of the original country. Something about flying over water even if it's a short hop is a problem versus a narrow valley. Kind of like a cat won't hop in the bathtub if it's still wet from your shower but will wander around after a rain in the back yard. And why most of the best remembered spawn camps or airfield to airfield furball spots from AH2 were fortuitous mistakes. I've duplicated a number of them in AH3 and they have become Ho-Hum. New things I've put into my terrains have become players favorite spots becasue of the overall terrain layout.

The NDisles layout makes it's furball island a jewel of activity becasue it provides an alternative to the "same old-same old", not the island. It just happens to be on an island in the center of that map. Oceania has the same layout and all the numpties do is capture the feilds and take away being able to use it. Oceania is a fun terrain to capture flags on and get into fights in the process. So the furball island is not missed like it is on NDisles when the numpties capture the "whole" island.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2018, 12:15:15 PM »
If NDisles is up I don't have to run the Breakfast Club, same kind of fights there.

No attendants today. Will host it again tomorrow.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2018, 08:41:13 AM »
Great fights going on right now in TA57x's version of the DA.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2018, 08:43:12 AM »
I am am still At work!!! Will you still be there at 6?

DutchVII
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2018, 09:12:10 AM »
Could be, could be!

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2018, 11:43:52 AM »
Spitz just outside of Schiphol I expect!  :rofl

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2018, 11:59:56 AM »
Spitz just outside of Schiphol I expect!  :rofl

No a flat tire on my bike... I had to walk... :uhoh
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2018, 12:10:15 PM »
Unlucky bud. Next time  :cool:

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2018, 05:29:35 PM »
Great fights this am. Best 2 hours in this game in 6 months.  I died every time but the best time. No chasing no one no ack to have to fly through. Everyone honoring fights while they are going on. Sorry I didn’t make back. Got busy at work. Hope to do it again soon and hope to see more in there.

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2018, 09:06:39 AM »
Fighting Shida is always fun, no matter the outcome. He has taught me so much. I was in today, Sensei, and Rollya massacreed me over and over. YEEEHAW!!!! :joystick: :airplane: :bhead
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline horble

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2018, 11:54:23 AM »
Thanks for hosting this shida, had some fantastic scraps this morning with flippz, Techwrek, and Whytfang.

Heckuva way to knock the rust off..
Kommando Nowotny