Author Topic: Radar Testing  (Read 28701 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Radar Testing
« Reply #180 on: August 02, 2018, 06:43:52 PM »
What's being measured in this test? Number of bbs-posts +/-? Number of players online? Number of whatever?

If its time played, please remove me from the data. I've been online slighly more than usual this week to see what this strange setting feels like. So please don't try to draw any conclusions from time spent online.

A single player will be basically insignificant.   You offset me being unable to play for a few days due to being out of town for example.    So Hitech needs to arbitrarily assign me about four to six hours a day for the next week after he subtracts your time. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 07:27:29 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #181 on: August 02, 2018, 06:45:04 PM »
I have the same feelings about this Kavo. Im really thinking of closing my account. I cant see paying for something I don't want to play anymore. I also hate the GV dar , now this. Might as well get rid of all the strats and just make it a big furball. This 3rd day now and I have no desire to play this game. If you really want serious WW2 sim then check out Battleground Europe:WW2 online. Guess Ill go back to that. Will check forums see how its going but if Hitech adds anymore dumbing down of the game Ill probably never come back.

Because in serious WW2 sims tanks can sneak onto active airfields and pick off planes as they scramble.
I am at work so unable to take part in this test but man so many crying that they can now be seen by the enemy seems odd in a combat game.
Sure there will likely need to be tweaks but 50 year old men jacking it because something changed is just sad

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #182 on: August 02, 2018, 07:25:44 PM »
No one created a thread yet to discuss tonight's Radar Test?
I think it is a step in the right direction, however map wide radar is obviously far too powerful, especially with pinpointing vehicles.
I do however think that a country should have full radar coverage within their borders and slightly forward as well.  Hopefully tonight's test is a step towards that setup.  I'd just install more radar towers for an area that change hands with the nearby base, and can be taken down.

Too far powerful is an understatement,  historically we cannot see the enemy in enemy territory.   The current setup ruins the game.  It's retarded.  It's better off left in a testing arena where the developers can crunch the effectiveness.   In the main arena,  it is messing with my $$$ I pay to play but cannot play because the enemy can see everyone the moment they take off.

And yeah,  last time I checked there was no radar in real life for ground vehicles.   A bigger farce.   Also a big farce is the 'DAR BAR'   which already tips us off  to missions etc.  Why mess with it and add full time radar?   Are you trying to be historical?  Then end the dar bars.   We already have plenty of places for furballs.

All these fancies being tested on us like lab rats are retarded and will spell the fall of  Aces High just as  Warbirds went down the drain.   Innovate the graphic engine or it will fall aside to competition such as DCS, IL2, War of Planes,  War of Tanks.   All gorgeous graphics.

Our bases already run into everyone elses bases in close quarters conflict.  Some annonymity is needed.   If you build radar towers to cover everyone then so be it,  build the radar towers AND INCREASE TERRAIN SIZES  to  compensate (like real world).

« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 07:27:18 PM by gldnbb »
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #183 on: August 02, 2018, 07:29:03 PM »
Because in serious WW2 sims tanks can sneak onto active airfields and pick off planes as they scramble.
I am at work so unable to take part in this test but man so many crying that they can now be seen by the enemy seems odd in a combat game.
Sure there will likely need to be tweaks but 50 year old men jacking it because something changed is just sad

Boom.   But this is what want.  #Realism
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #184 on: August 02, 2018, 07:31:38 PM »
Too far powerful is an understatement,  historically we cannot see the enemy in enemy territory.   The current setup ruins the game.  It's retarded.  It's better off left in a testing arena where the developers can crunch the effectiveness.   In the main arena,  it is messing with my $$$ I pay to play but cannot play because the enemy can see everyone the moment they take off.

And yeah,  last time I checked there was no radar in real life for ground vehicles.   A bigger farce.   Also a big farce is the 'DAR BAR'   which already tips us off  to missions etc.  Why mess with it and add full time radar?   Are you trying to be historical?  Then end the dar bars.   We already have plenty of places for furballs.

All these fancies being tested on us like lab rats are retarded and will spell the fall of  Aces High just as  Warbirds went down the drain.   Innovate the graphic engine or it will fall aside to competition such as DCS, IL2, War of Planes,  War of Tanks.   All gorgeous graphics.

Our bases already run into everyone elses bases in close quarters conflict.  Some annonymity is needed.   If you build radar towers to cover everyone then so be it,  build the radar towers AND INCREASE TERRAIN SIZES  to  compensate (like real world).

(Image removed from quote.)

Testing in a special arena will provide useless results--if any at all. 

Oh, and British ground radar COULD see into enemy territory.   
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #185 on: August 02, 2018, 07:34:55 PM »
Boom.   But this is what want.  #Realism

Here's some realism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_on_Tatsinskaya

#yeahthatreallyhappened

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #186 on: August 02, 2018, 07:35:46 PM »
See you in two weeks.  :D

I don't get all the complaining about dar.   This is an EXPERIMENT that Hitech is using to gather data.  I doubt this is the final form.   Even so, in WBs we had full radar except below 200' and I don't recall all this crying.   It was fun there and it will be fun here.

May have to go back to generic icons to give the BUFF guys a chance except in dar rings, but hey, it's a great improvement.

Warbirds did not have  dar bars,   and last time I checked that sim is dead because they did not innovate graphics, did not fix bugs, and certainly just 'gamed' us to go elsewhere.  And while I used to mostly ONLY fly in the Historical WWII arena, at least it had enough people for dedicated squads to fly and attempt to fly in historical manner.    Aces High only has a main arena.

Current Radar Set up KILLS  missions,  KILLS  Efforts,  KILLS  Squads working together, denigrates the arena to 'furball only'  mode and  'TANK TOWN'  mode.   Total bs on my $$$.   Ya want to test?   Fine,  tell the company goons and those that are 'invited to test'  into a 'testing arena'.   Do not implement it in a production enviroment that is the 'Main Arena'.

-The Golden BB-

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #187 on: August 02, 2018, 07:37:50 PM »
   This is a martial art, albeit a virtual one.  Like Okinawa Te, when I discovered That I knew or cared about no other system.  Until That was no longer available to Me.   I don't know about any other WW2 sims.  After downloading This in 2013 I practiced offline for 6 months before I felt like I was trained enough for the Late war Arena.  I thought It was as close to actual WW2 air combat experience as One could find, and still do.  I thought the addition of all the trees was to help the gvers survive. then came gvdar and now all encompassing dar, quite contradictory.  The Hardcore Bufftards like Shado will not like It, because I will see them upping and get My mark 14 to the strats  long before Them and be waiting at 36,000.  as My experience tonight, It will  make more players deploy ay 30k or above. Which is fine for  Me.   More players using the Mark 14. Tbolts and Ta152s.   It is a step away from true WW2 air or land combat though.  Something to think about, surface radar for ships.  The tin cans had better dar than the cvs. and pts had surface to air and surface to surface dar, but gv to gv and air to gv dar is not the way it was in ww2.  Have a blast.  Rodbuster out.

SIDE NOTE:   RODBUSTR IS NOT USING ALL CAPS AS HE DOES IN THE GAME AMAZING    Will always .squelch
-The Golden BB-

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
Re: Full DAR for tonight only
« Reply #188 on: August 02, 2018, 07:41:12 PM »
Full dar rocks.   It needs a tweak or two but I love it.   Warbirds had full dar with a floor.   It worked great. 

People who don't want to fight are the ones who are complaining right now.  I haven't had so much fun in years.

Give Hitech a chance to tweak it.    This is the direction the game needs to go.    Maybe some sort of inaccurate or "general area" radar outside of a certain range and outside radar rings.    Also an NOE zone.

This is a bold experiment and I am glad to see it.

Its not that we DON'T want a fight,  quite the contrary.  However this is not the FIGHTING arena.   This is a Main arena, and just like in any game there needs to be some anonymity.  You are missing that point.

It also KILLS missions (remember this is the Main arena afterall).   Having bombers and 262s  and 163s available allows ANYONE to live out their fantasies.   Your FULL DAR forces them to choose between dogfighting or nothing at all.   Very limiting segment.  Annnnd  sometimes people get tired of fighting needing a break to do something else such as  GV or  bombing or hey  organizing a mission to all  strat targets to go down to capture bases.     Viracu you are being selfish because you want everyone to fight.   Tisk
-The Golden BB-

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #189 on: August 02, 2018, 07:47:24 PM »
-The Golden BB-

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #190 on: August 02, 2018, 07:49:03 PM »
Played for a couple of hours today.

From my expert analysis and vast understanding of the MA. I'd say this is a terrible idea that should be changed back immediately.

It shows everything!

Bombers are FKD.

You see a massive amount of red dots all over the place. I changed sides to the low #s and realized that they were winning the fight. Doh! Still got a couple of good fights in. Right when I switched sides the fight changed to the other side.

One thing you can see is how players play the game. Where they fly and how they group up in areas. While its good to study that. I don't think it's very good for those players who are trying to be strategic.

I definitely feel like it became a lot more "gamier".
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #191 on: August 02, 2018, 07:52:34 PM »

Oh, and British ground radar COULD see into enemy territory.   

Not into deep territory.  Oh and did you see that map coverage posted?  Not that far...
-The Golden BB-

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #192 on: August 02, 2018, 07:54:27 PM »
Love the geriatric hysteria here anytime anything changes in the slightest.

:aok :rofl :aok
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #193 on: August 02, 2018, 07:58:28 PM »
If the goal is to give folks an indicator of where the fights are at, just have a radar scope in the tower that shows all the icons.  But once you up a plane or vehicle, you don't get to see all the icons from the clipboard map.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #194 on: August 02, 2018, 08:05:24 PM »
For the next patch I am writing some new radar option flags so configurations can change and I can test some different combinations.

Enemy Vehicles On Radar
Friendly Vehicles On Radar
Show Bombers as Fighters

Also the BelowRadarAlt will remain active even if full radar is enabled.
It can be set to 0 to disable it.

HiTech

"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde