Author Topic: Radar Testing  (Read 28701 times)

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
Re: Radar Testing
« Reply #390 on: August 05, 2018, 04:02:56 PM »
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 06:48:36 AM by Skuzzy »
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #391 on: August 05, 2018, 04:05:42 PM »
It is a big market but it is a small fish in a big pond. Games like War Thunder or Wargaming titles appeal to a large crowd because they are arcade-like, fast paced, grindy, what have you. Games like AH and IL2 are extremely niche based because it focuses more on realism than anything else. AH is the only one of its kind to have the one-arena style where there's always something going on. It isn't instance based or splits people up by server. You'll never attract a large crowd from games like WT because it is totally different. It is the same reason there is a big divide between Fortnite and PUBG. They are two separate games filling two different niche markets.

Also take into account the fact that you have an ever-shrinking number of people who give a damn about what this game is about: WWII combat. Tons of people play the other games but do they like it purely because it is WWII-related? I have my doubts.

Lastly, I think a big turn off is the subscription model. One of the main reasons I stopped playing ArcheAge was because they basically required you to have a subscription to anything decent in the game. It is nice to play WoT/WoWS/WT because you can play any time and pick up where you left off. If I'm enjoying it enough I'll get premium for a month. AH is not set up for the F2P model, and I think moving in that direction (the microtransaction idea) would be detrimental to the current player base. So it will be what it'll be.

Agreed....  WWII  niche...

And is  why  DCS is  taking over  in modern warfare.   More folks gravitate toward modern warfare than in WWII.   It's unfortunately the same reason the WWI  arena  is  dead empty.   A change of times.

Despite the change of times though,  if one does not improve  graphics,  one cannot  compete in that  pond of  fish.  It will die.  It is the same reason Warbirds  died and the same reason Aces High is  circling the toilet...   Getting rid of loyalty in lieu of  easy "gamers" that prefer graphic realism  without improving  graphics.

NO simpler than that.
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #392 on: August 05, 2018, 04:08:45 PM »
 :aok
Each evolution of radar change brings Hitech's ultimate goal into sharper focus.  To me, it looks like he's simply trying to provide more information in the game's interface so a new player can quickly find action.

Now for a little rant:
Maybe I'm speaking only for myself, but when I joined, I did not stumble into the game.  I was looking for a WW2 flight sim.  Call of Duty just didn't do it for me.  And when I first entered the game, I was pretty overwhelmed, and had the misfortune of re-upping at a field being vulched.  I also knew squat about flying.  Those first five or six sorties of teetering down a runway on one wheel and a wing tip as a 190 raked me with 20 mm was pretty discouraging.  I stopped playing in the MA for a long, long time, and just practiced alone off line, learning how to taxi, take off, fly, land, shoot at drones, etc.  It was probably 6 months before I entered the MA again. Young people don't do that.  They have no patience for that.   

I know this is probably impossible, but what would have helped me most in those first few days to find some fun in the game was a trainer joining me in a sortie in the MA and explaining the ropes about everything - the game, how to communicate, the strategies, the learning curve, controls, gunnery, you name it.  And I'm always willing to do that with a new player.  But I never know when a new player enters the MA, and the new player sure as heck never knows who to reach out to. 

If that gap could be narrowed, that would probably be a good thing.
This was the same with me. I had ALL3 versions of Combat Flight Simulator for PC and loved them all. Then the house fire...we were fortunate...our neighbor was moving and we rented from them till our house was rebuilt. Neighbors had CABLE TV!!!! Found AHC and Air ACES :rock  Commercial for an ONLINE..WW2 multiplayer flight sim..OMG I found the promised land. Talk about learning curve...No way I was going straight to the Late War Arena. I read everything I could find on game play...practiced A LOT offline, thought I had it down :uhoh WRONG. If it were not for Flackhappy- Reaper24 and GHI and a few others running missions in those days, I probably would have gotten really frustrated. So I agree with your assessment on the new players perceptions. Think PRIDE keeps some new players from seeking help..they know everything all ready. Why ask GRANPA how to play a Video game...he still has a flip phone :x 
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #393 on: August 05, 2018, 04:09:00 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 06:49:27 AM by Skuzzy »
-The Golden BB-

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #394 on: August 05, 2018, 04:23:03 PM »
And as of this afternoon, the ALL DAR  has  turned a  3  country war into a  2  country war  WHERE  1  country unable to  equalize this pressure unable to hit strats  due to an all seeing  dar.  Thusly the 1 country is out of the war.

Get your game-er on  :neener:
-The Golden BB-

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
Radar Testing
« Reply #395 on: August 05, 2018, 04:33:19 PM »
Are you assuming that all sides will be equal in skill and number?

That’s what it seems like.

Those two on that third country should have organized and pushed back. It’s not the radars fault but the inability of a group to organize to over come a challenge.
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #396 on: August 05, 2018, 04:54:29 PM »

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #397 on: August 05, 2018, 04:55:25 PM »

You clearly don't understand the market.  Graphics  3x  more advanced and realistic yet  appeal to the fight/die/ repeat model.

Is Aces high any close to the advanced graphics?

WHATEVER dude. 

Whatever. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline molybdenum

• Nickel Member
« Reply #398 on: August 05, 2018, 04:55:49 PM »
Are you assuming that all sides will be equal in skill and number?

That’s what it seems like.

Those two on that third country should have organized and pushed back. It’s not the radars fault but the inability of a group to organize to over come a challenge.

It's hard to organize any kind of offensive action when you are defending 5 bases on two fronts while outnumbered even under normal circumstances. It's well-nigh impossible to do so when the enemies that are teaming up on you can see what you're up to the very instant you begin to try.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #399 on: August 05, 2018, 04:57:20 PM »
It is a big market but it is a small fish in a big pond. Games like War Thunder or Wargaming titles appeal to a large crowd because they are arcade-like, fast paced, grindy, what have you. Games like AH and IL2 are extremely niche based because it focuses more on realism than anything else. AH is the only one of its kind to have the one-arena style where there's always something going on. It isn't instance based or splits people up by server. You'll never attract a large crowd from games like WT because it is totally different. It is the same reason there is a big divide between Fortnite and PUBG. They are two separate games filling two different niche markets.

Also take into account the fact that you have an ever-shrinking number of people who give a damn about what this game is about: WWII combat. Tons of people play the other games but do they like it purely because it is WWII-related? I have my doubts.

Lastly, I think a big turn off is the subscription model. One of the main reasons I stopped playing ArcheAge was because they basically required you to have a subscription to anything decent in the game. It is nice to play WoT/WoWS/WT because you can play any time and pick up where you left off. If I'm enjoying it enough I'll get premium for a month. AH is not set up for the F2P model, and I think moving in that direction (the microtransaction idea) would be detrimental to the current player base. So it will be what it'll be.

We don't require a WT-sized market.   A tiny fraction of that will do just fine. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Electroman

• Copper Member
Re: Radar 2.0
« Reply #400 on: August 05, 2018, 05:12:58 PM »
After the absolutely DISGUSTING weekend BULLS*** that went on this last map (Bish @12% of bases, no spawns anywhere, all strats dead) and full dar this is the final nail in the coffin for this game.

If you couldn't find a fight before then you were blind. The existing dar offered PLENTY of opportunity.

This is not worth the $15 a month any longer with this crap.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #401 on: August 05, 2018, 05:13:52 PM »
We don't require a WT-sized market.   A tiny fraction of that will do just fine. 
Sure. Even 1% of WT's numbers of the last 30 days would be 117 players, a huge increase. But a radar setting isn't going to get people into the game. WT and AH are apples and oranges. You'll get people who will like each one or one over the other, but pulling people from WT will be few and far between.

I think you'll lose the same amount of people you'd gain with the radar setting change.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
Radar Testing
« Reply #402 on: August 05, 2018, 05:16:22 PM »
It's hard to organize any kind of offensive action when you are defending 5 bases on two fronts while outnumbered even under normal circumstances. It's well-nigh impossible to do so when the enemies that are teaming up on you can see what you're up to the very instant you begin to try.

Chalk the bases as a loss and start hitting them where they are vulnerable. Split there numbers along several fronts and watch them become more and more disorganized.

An enemy can’t be effective when they are stretched thin. Force them to become the defenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #403 on: August 05, 2018, 05:17:24 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 06:51:13 AM by Skuzzy »
-The Golden BB-

Offline molybdenum

• Nickel Member
« Reply #404 on: August 05, 2018, 06:10:44 PM »

Chalk the bases as a loss and start hitting them where they are vulnerable. Split there numbers along several fronts and watch them become more and more disorganized.

An enemy can’t be effective when they are stretched thin. Force them to become the defenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree in theory, and have tried to get teammates to do exactly that. But they are always emotionally invested in the base they're defending, or have a good position they don't want to bail form, or "will help as soon as this sortie is over." It never worked out.
And this was BEFORE God-mode dar.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 06:12:53 PM by molybdenum »