Author Topic: Radar Testing  (Read 28701 times)

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Radar Testing
« Reply #525 on: August 08, 2018, 04:01:22 PM »
I do not understand Dale, why mess with the radar at all. Who is complaining that they don't like it to make you do so much messing with a radar that worked just fine. even before the red square GV dar.  It seem like you are pissing a lot of players off. If it is because getting new players to see where the action is as I have said before you need a pilot training program like many other games have.

Nobody was complaining about it. This change has nothing to do with us players that have been here a long time. It is more aimed at new players. If a new player logs in for the first time and sees only a few dar bars and a couple of plane icons it doesnt look very interesting. They dont know that dar is down at a number of bases along the front  and there may be 20 players "hiding" inside those downed dar circles. They just know that there isnt much action going on and so leave.

The whole point, I believe, with this new dar setup is to make it "LOOK" like theres a party goin' on right here!

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #526 on: August 08, 2018, 04:34:03 PM »
Seems like the current dar setup is working pretty well.  Might be nice if enemy bomber icons would show when they are in friendly dar circle.  That would restore some of the utility of the base dar (and a reason to kill it).
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #527 on: August 08, 2018, 04:40:55 PM »
I'm also considering a player spotting type dar. I.E. if someone is in icon range it shows on your and everyone in your country dar.

Maybe have that linked to the specific type icon (Fighter/ bomber/ GV) and have them show globaly, Otherwise have the fighter only icons in a base dar circle.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #528 on: August 08, 2018, 04:53:47 PM »
Maybe have that linked to the specific type icon (Fighter/ bomber/ GV) and have them show globaly, Otherwise have the fighter only icons in a base dar circle.

That does seem like a solution. People couldn’t get upset because if your icon can be seen visually by a pilot, it can also be seen through the intel reports.

But as stated above, it lacks the “hey everyone, there’s a party! “ for people just logging in to the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Medic18

• Zinc Member
« Reply #529 on: August 08, 2018, 04:58:20 PM »
I'm done with this game come next month if this is how it's gonna be. I'll spend my money and time in dcs.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #530 on: August 08, 2018, 05:13:19 PM »

But as stated above, it lacks the “hey everyone, there’s a party! “ for people just logging in to the game.

Not necessarily. The way I see it working is that as long as a friendly play is in icon range (6.0K for planes) of an enemy, that enemy will always be visible on the map, regardless of the radar status. Killing the dar at a base where the furball is would be useless, since most enemy will be within icon range of other friendly players.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #531 on: August 08, 2018, 05:23:38 PM »
If it’s to be based on icon visibility, you might as well remove radar structures from the game as they become irrelevant.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #532 on: August 08, 2018, 05:26:49 PM »
If it’s to be based on icon visibility, you might as well remove radar structures from the game as they become irrelevant.

They would still serve a purpose at bases where no friendly players are active. An enemy plane there would show as a fighter, even if it were a bomber. It gives the lone bomber pilot a chance to roam around without getting swarmed.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 06:21:17 PM by Devil 505 »
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
Re: Time delay on long range radar
« Reply #533 on: August 08, 2018, 05:31:11 PM »
Maybe have the "full dar" coverage with a 5, 10, or 15 second or so time delay. You get the info but it's not a substitute for looking out of the cockpit.

This. Flying is boring. No need to look outside of the window. The in-flight intercept course planning computer provides everything in realtime. 15s is by far too short. 1...3 minutes at random seems more appropriate. That then combined with a low update frequency (e.g. update period = delay) and a heading display that only looks into the past (doesn't show the heading at the moment the snapshot was stored but the heading from the n-1 to n), and maybe adds some randomness (far out +/- 5 miles, within active tower dar +/-0) it might be sufficiently fuzzy to avoid being abusable as targeting computer.

Offline Medic18

• Zinc Member
« Reply #534 on: August 08, 2018, 06:15:54 PM »
The "radar" as they have it now is a crock. I agree the radar on base serves no purpose. It's turned into nothing but a total fighter game built for furballs only.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #535 on: August 08, 2018, 06:18:13 PM »
The "radar" as they have it now is a crock. I agree the radar on base serves no purpose. It's turned into nothing but a total fighter game built for furballs only.

No, it only takes out the "lone" buff runs. Join in the game, get a mission together, Get some cover to chase off the attackers.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #536 on: August 08, 2018, 06:36:39 PM »
I miss massive massive buff runs

Offline molybdenum

• Nickel Member
T.M.I.
« Reply #537 on: August 08, 2018, 08:08:06 PM »
As I expected, the latest dar test doesn't solve much of anything from a strategists's point of view. Anyone who wants to guide friendly fighters to nmy buffs can do so with the greatest of ease if they are willing to be air traffic controller in tower, and even though all plane icons look like fighters now, any reasonably intelligent buff hunter can easily tell fighter from bomber icons  by how they fly and from whence they up. The all-seeing dar now excludes GV,s which is a step in the right direction, but that's not worth $15/mo. for people like me.

The current setup is very gameable (word?) but I don't see how HT can improve it without sacrificing what I deduce is his ultimate goal. Ah, well. I'll game the game for the rest of this month's subscription and then move on to something else. If any squaddies keep playing they can always call me back in if anything changes radically.

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: T.M.I.
« Reply #538 on: August 08, 2018, 08:20:14 PM »
Anyone who wants to guide friendly fighters to nmy buffs can do so with the greatest of ease if they are willing to be air traffic controller in tower, and even though all plane icons look like fighters now, any reasonably intelligent buff hunter can easily tell fighter from bomber icons  by how they fly and from whence they up.

Doesn't this impress you as being very realistic?  It does me.

Not that you'll have a lot of ATC volunteers, but it seems like a great idea.

- oldman

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #539 on: August 08, 2018, 08:34:37 PM »
I'm also considering a player spotting type dar. I.E. if someone is in icon range it shows on your and everyone in your country dar.

That would be awesome, its information that a pilot would relay in real life to higher headquarters.  It would simulate that reporting for people like me that hate talking on vox, but settle to get information out.  Would be nice if it also lit enemy vehicles that you successfully icon'd, gives more purpose to the storch. 
People love the old radar setup, perhaps extending the range of the base radar 100% and including this player spotting ability wouldnt draw so much negativity from people trying to sneak around.  They will still be able to pork the radar.
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai