CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
Re: Noob
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2018, 11:48:21 PM »
I'm available weekend mornings (Eastern time zone) for answers to "how do I" questions, basic flight maneuvers & general info. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Welcome to AH3  :salute

can you teach me how to do a reversal
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2018, 12:43:45 AM »
can you teach me how to do a reversal

Horizontal 180 degree turn
High Yo-yo
Low Yo-yo
Switch-back
Slice-back
Immelman
Split-ese
180 degree bat turn
etc.....stuff like a chandelle

Which reversal to use depends entirely on the situation you might find yourself in

or were you thinking of something else but called it a reversal? Example: Barrel Roll Defense, where you have an opponent coming in fast and hard on your "six", you sucker them in closer execute a barrel roll forcing your opponent to overshoot you and switching from being the defender and becoming the attacker.....

Hope this helps

TC
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 12:56:51 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 07:07:45 AM »
Heya TC

Could you please explain switch-back, slice-back, 180 degree bat turn?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 07:20:16 AM »
Maybe he meant pitch back, a climbing turn, instead of switchback, a zigzag road.

A slice back is a descending turn so you keep your speed up.

The bat turn is a stall turn, it can look like you rotate in place from relative motion as the other plane flies by.

The classic video.  :D

« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 07:29:11 AM by FLS »

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2018, 09:01:45 AM »
Maybe he meant pitch back, a climbing turn, instead of switchback, a zigzag road.

A slice back is a descending turn so you keep your speed up.

The bat turn is a stall turn, it can look like you rotate in place from relative motion as the other plane flies by.

The classic video.  :D

Yep, I meant "Pitch-back", as FLS posted

Thanks for catching & providing the correct terminology FLS, much appreciated

I was just typing to fast and improperly typed it as I was trying to think of all the different types of reversals

~S~

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2018, 09:59:58 AM »
What’s a switchback in comparison to a slice back?

A “bat turn” implies a hard turn reversal like a bat frequently does in flight.  Calling it a “stall turn” implies stalling the aircraft in a turn, which a bat does not do nor do aircraft in reality  A stall is loss of lift.  Stalling an aircraft in air combat is self defeating and not a valid combat maneuver.

Noob, do a google search (or whatever you use) for the “energy egg” and then seek out someone in here who can teach you the basics of BFM and how to apply the energy egg.

Welcome!  :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2018, 10:23:27 AM »
There may be a variety turns that are called bat turns by various people at various times. I'm using my understanding of the Aces High usage which refers to something that's more than just a hard turn.

It's a stall turn because the stall and loss of yaw stability is what allows the propeller torque to rotate the aircraft.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2018, 10:33:56 AM »
There may be a variety turns that are called bat turns by various people at various times. I'm using my understanding of the Aces High usage which refers to something that's more than just a hard turn.

It's a stall turn because the stall and loss of yaw stability is what allows the propeller torque to rotate the aircraft.

More than a hard turn is commonly referred to as a break turn which generates maximum turn rate.

Stalling the aircraft (making you a nearly stationary target and out of control) vs a break turn where you have control of the aircraft and it’s flight vector doesn’t demonstrate efficient energy management.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2018, 10:34:08 AM »
A “bat turn” implies a hard turn reversal like a bat frequently does in flight.

to add that it's performed in such a manner as not to lose hardly any energy/speed yet maximizing your energy state and turn performance the best one possibly can

This is how I always thought of and explained/taught it

Hope this helps

TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2018, 10:37:54 AM »
And another reversal that I missed in my list....

Break Turn

(thanks Puma, I forgot about that one)

~S~

TC

Edit: all the turns I posted are BFM and some of the reversals are variations of others
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 10:41:10 AM by TequilaChaser »

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2018, 10:47:53 AM »
FLS, are you mixing up "bat turn" with what the AH 109K4 flyers refer to as.... Trying to remember but think they called it or referred to as Cobra or something similar to that?

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2018, 10:50:31 AM »
to add that it's performed in such a manner as not to lose hardly any energy/speed yet maximizing your energy state and turn performance the best one possibly can

Hope this helps

TC

TC, your description more aptly describes a “hard turn”.  “Bat turn” is often used as a real world slang term when referring to a “Break turn”. 

It’s disconcerting when those helping new players throw out self made terminology that can be defined differently by different people and only confuse the novice.  It’s rare to see an instructor start out with the basics of BFM and energy management.  For instance, the Jug video is a great compilation of snap shots, many off a pick and blow through. 

It’s easy to see how a Newbie could go out and try to replicate those shots and be very disappointed and confused when they don’t work so well.  The video shows many examples of the successful end game but, not how to get there.  :salute
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 10:52:30 AM by Puma44 »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2018, 10:52:36 AM »
More than a hard turn is commonly referred to as a break turn which generates maximum turn rate.

Stalling the aircraft (making you a nearly stationary target and out of control) vs a break turn where you have control of the aircraft and it’s flight vector doesn’t demonstrate efficient energy management.

The almost stationary vertical reversal is the hammerhead turn, also called a stall turn. It does not use torque to rotate like the bat turn.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2018, 10:58:05 AM »
FLS, are you mixing up "bat turn" with what the AH 109K4 flyers refer to as.... Trying to remember but think they called it or referred to as Cobra or something similar to that?

Do you think maybe they called it "bat turn"? It always sounded like they were trying to describe a torque maneuver without using any aero terms properly.

Hope this helps

TC

Please demonstrate this awesome maneuver since your description lacks any sort of detail.   :D