Author Topic: it's time we discuss the Yak3  (Read 4038 times)

Offline save

• Gold Member
Re: it's time we discuss the Yak3
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2018, 04:29:19 AM »
My concerns of the 2-tonne fighter plane : the Yak-3, and how I  think HTC should deal with it.

with ridiculous angles you can climb with forever , rudder authority that should have been lost many mph down the road, can't be that hard to change that, is it ?

It's wonder durability has been questioned - its still the plane all want to be in when getting shot at, sometimes it even absorb double digits of 20mms,  it can't be that far off from a LA-7 damage - Stalin-wood or not,  use the LA-7 damage model and apply it to the Yak-3,

Unlimited WEP:  the engine of the Yak-3 were prone to overheating like many other hot rods flying in late ww2, but Yak's are the only one's who can disregard that totally - more than 20mins of continuous WEP-  please set a appropriate number of minutes on it, and don't treat it as exception to a rule.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 04:42:06 AM by save »
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2018, 08:18:42 AM »
never have had any problem against any yak in the 51D.

Tell us your secret!    :x
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Electroman

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2018, 09:19:26 AM »
My concerns of the 2-tonne fighter plane : the Yak-3, and how I  think HTC should deal with it.

with ridiculous angles you can climb with forever , rudder authority that should have been lost many mph down the road, can't be that hard to change that, is it ?

It's wonder durability has been questioned - its still the plane all want to be in when getting shot at, sometimes it even absorb double digits of 20mms,  it can't be that far off from a LA-7 damage - Stalin-wood or not,  use the LA-7 damage model and apply it to the Yak-3,

Unlimited WEP:  the engine of the Yak-3 were prone to overheating like many other hot rods flying in late ww2, but Yak's are the only one's who can disregard that totally - more than 20mins of continuous WEP-  please set a appropriate number of minutes on it, and don't treat it as exception to a rule.

The Yak3 does not have WEP.

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2018, 10:33:40 AM »
I transitioned from Yakd to 109s two years ago. Although I seem to be much more successful with a 109, I find killing yak3s to be the biggest pain of all Aircraft. I would much rather deal with La7s which I can both climb with and turn with, and Spits which are fragile and slow.

Chuikov

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2018, 01:03:25 PM »
It has been said the Yak3 can take a lot of damage, but not when I am flying it.  :frown:

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2018, 02:37:34 PM »
Since it was overheating at full power, restriction how long you could fly it on full power should be imposed, with cool-down period like other planes.

The Yak3 does not have WEP.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2018, 03:07:15 PM »
Since it was overheating at full power, restriction how long you could fly it on full power should be imposed, with cool-down period like other planes.
I am NO expert,BUT I read, and stay in Holiday Express....The way "WEP" is modeled in AH is a tad wonky. In AH the "WEP" select planes,use it to model Methanol/water injection...HOWEVER mOSt planes in game THAT HAVE selective WEP DID NOT HAVE THIS...its modeled to act as the SUPER CHARGER/Turbo what ever you want to call it. I really dont mind this...if it was modeled any better/and I believe HT bridged the gap between historic/practical way for our game/ you would be flying like these systems used in DCS. IT WAS EMERGENCY...NOT climb out..ect ect. It would do serious harm to engines. So we have it modeled towards the HIGH END of each planes performance. The Yak3 benifits from this the MOST as Save eluded too. The yak was a pain unless paid TEDIOUS attention to temp and oil pressure settings. It was a FUNNY CAR engine in a Shriner's Clown Car. If I understand what I read anyway :cheers:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2018, 03:16:42 PM »
never have had any problem against any yak in the 51D.

Ditto. The most common comment I get in the 9U about damage is why can I take so much, usually it is because people are not hitting me. The Yak 3 and 9 are quite small aircraft.

For all the people complaining in this thread I'd recommend flying a -3 or -9 for a month before you pass judgement on damage models.

The stats for the -3 aren't that amazing, and the top pilot in the -3 is incredibly timid (similar to some pony pilots).

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2018, 03:35:49 PM »
Ditto. The most common comment I get in the 9U about damage is why can I take so much, usually it is because people are not hitting me. The Yak 3 and 9 are quite small aircraft.

For all the people complaining in this thread I'd recommend flying a -3 or -9 for a month before you pass judgement on damage models.

The stats for the -3 aren't that amazing, and the top pilot in the -3 is incredibly timid (similar to some pony pilots).

I've lit a YAK-9 up from nose to tail more times than I can count only to see it fly away like nothing happened.

Anecdotal, but the thing definitely has a density approaching concrete.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2018, 04:41:20 PM »
Equal pilots in 51 vs yak3.. yak3 wins every time.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2018, 05:32:46 PM »
Tell us your secret!    :x

One way is to take a noob under your wing. Sort of like taking someone with you fishing in Alaska that runs slower than you do. It is all you need against bears.  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2018, 05:33:44 PM »
I am NO expert,BUT I read, and stay in Holiday Express....The way "WEP" is modeled in AH is a tad wonky. In AH the "WEP" select planes,use it to model Methanol/water injection...HOWEVER mOSt planes in game THAT HAVE selective WEP DID NOT HAVE THIS...its modeled to act as the SUPER CHARGER/Turbo what ever you want to call it. I really dont mind this...if it was modeled any better/and I believe HT bridged the gap between historic/practical way for our game/ you would be flying like these systems used in DCS. IT WAS EMERGENCY...NOT climb out..ect ect. It would do serious harm to engines. So we have it modeled towards the HIGH END of each planes performance. The Yak3 benifits from this the MOST as Save eluded too. The yak was a pain unless paid TEDIOUS attention to temp and oil pressure settings. It was a FUNNY CAR engine in a Shriner's Clown Car. If I understand what I read anyway :cheers:

I can tell when you are in one as your head sticks out of the top.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2018, 05:50:21 PM »
One way is to take a noob under your wing. Sort of like taking someone with you fishing in Alaska that runs slower than you do. It is all you need against bears.  :D

"Why are you putting on your tennis shoes?  You can't outrun that bear."

"I don't have to outrun the bear--I just have to outrun YOU."
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2018, 06:15:58 PM »
Equal pilots in 51 vs yak3.. yak3 wins every time.

not at 30k :)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2018, 07:27:00 PM »
I've lit a YAK-9 up from nose to tail more times than I can count only to see it fly away like nothing happened.

Anecdotal, but the thing definitely has a density approaching concrete.

The guns are glass, it probably flew away because you took the guns out. The wing tanks drain almost instantly when hit. And the rudder comes off easy. PW's are fairly common.

The thing is the Yak can usually choose to disengage once hit.