Author Topic: Yo Colmbo!  (Read 3591 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Yo Colmbo!
« on: September 14, 2018, 05:21:16 PM »
How did you work your way into the air tanker gig?

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
Re: Yo Colmbo!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 06:34:08 PM »
Be fat and hold your breath.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 07:01:51 PM »
Huh?
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 07:06:07 PM »
Huh?

He must assume you flew fire bombers not warbirds (though some are both).
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 07:14:03 PM »
Huh?

For some reason I thought you did air tankers.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 07:44:16 PM »
Ah..... but I think that would have been some interesting flying.  However flying around 80 year old veterans was a lot less stressful than diving through a smoke and flame filled canyon. :)
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 08:00:40 PM »
Ah..... but I think that would have been some interesting flying.  However flying around 80 year old veterans was a lot less stressful than diving through a smoke and flame filled canyon. :)
You flew the B-17 and B-24, right?  Who for?  How did you get into it?

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 10:49:42 PM »
You flew the B-17 and B-24, right?  Who for?  How did you get into it?

I flew with the Collings Foundation.  My wife got me the gig.  I heard the bombers were going to be in town so we of course went out to go for a ride.  My thought was for us each to fly in the B-17, Bobbi said why don't you take a ride in each.  Okay!!  I did two rides back to back that night and was quite jazzed by what I had seen.  A couple old vets that looked like the last thing they wanted to do was fly on the airplane, but as the flight progressed they lost 70 years and were once again the young warriors they had been.

I had recently retired from the Airport Police at Anch Intl Airport and offered to help them with crowd control, wiping airplanes, etc.  They were happy to have the help so for the next couple days I did whatever needed to be done around the airplanes.  Finally the last day or so they let me "flight engineer" which was more just baby sitting the passengers inflight and getting them seated before landing. 

Bobbi and I were impressed enough with what we saw that we decided to do a plane sponsorship on the B-17.  We donated $5k which allowed us "life time flight privileges" on the airplane between stops, I got an A-2 jacket with the Nine O Nine artwork and our name is painted on the side of the airplane.  The most important thing was we helped to prolong these aircraft operating and helping the vets.

Since I was now a plane sponsor Bobbi, myself and a good friend were able to ride in the B-17 to Fairbanks.  Bobbi returned home but I continued to Juneau.  The last day of the stop in Juneau, I was heading home from here, the chief pilot Rob asked me if I would be interested in flying the bombers with him.  I explained that was the  dumbest question I'd ever been asked, of course I'm interested.  (Now at this time I did not have a multi rating.  I had about 1700 hours in mostly Cessna 182 and 206 airplanes hauling skydivers. I did have a commercial and instrument)  Rob told me to get a multi and meet them on the tour route.  Okay then!  Bobbi and I had already planned to fly our 182 to the Oshkosh show, a wonderful trip, and as soon as we were home I popped down to the LA area for a quickie multi rating then it was out to Hartford, CT. with my sticky wet 12 hour or so multi rating.  At first I couldn't fly the pax rides, I didn't have the experience required but I got every hour I could as we flew tour stop to tour stop.  Fairly soon the foundation was able to get me as named insured and they got the FEDs to allow me to endanger the lives of paying passengers.  Once I was flying rides the time built quickly.  The foundation tours 10 months out of the year, normal tour stop is 3 days/2 nights.  The tour starts in Florida and goes clockwise around the country.

Flying the bombers was without a doubt the most precious experience of my life.  At first it was about flying the airplanes but quickly became about the veterans.  I had dinner one night and seated at my table was Robert Morgan (Memphis Belle) and Paul Tibbetts (Enola Gay).  After getting typed in the B-24 I did a ride for a B-24 pilot veteran and his family.  He had been shot down and had to bail out.  When he came out for the ride that morning he was wearing the B-10 jacket he had worn during the bailout (if still had the tear in the back where it snagged going out the bombay).  He also had the wooden utensils he had carved to eat with while in the POW camp.  Once we got the airplane cleaned up I put him in the seat and let him fly.  The look on his family's faces as they watched him fly was very humbling.  One of the best moments for sure.

The bombers allowed me to meet so many great people.  One was a FW-190 pilot I noticed standing behind the B-17.  He was staring at the tail gun position and when I talked to him he told me he had credit for 13 B-17s.  With tears in his eyes he said "brave, brave boys".

How'd I get into it?  I'm the worlds luckiest man.
Columbo

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 11:23:17 PM »
Very cool!  You, my friend, and I are in the same club.  :salute
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 12:20:35 AM by Puma44 »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 11:38:11 PM »
Wow.  What a story, Dale.   :cheers:
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 01:00:01 AM »
That was one GREAT READ! WOW, I cant even imagine. JEALOUS, a wee bit. Heck reading about it is fine by me! I am still laughing from your post in another thread about your wifes,uh..accident with the Zip-Lock bag :rofl What an experience...one good and one pretty good in its own rite(but in another way).  :x
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 05:27:56 AM »
One was a FW-190 pilot I noticed standing behind the B-17.  He was staring at the tail gun position and when I talked to him he told me he had credit for 13 B-17s.  With tears in his eyes he said "brave, brave boys".

Wow, what a story. Thank you for sharing that  :salute

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 10:21:44 AM »
Great Story!  :aok

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 10:59:52 AM »
your wifes,uh..accident with the Zip-Lock bag :rofl
[/quote

We're headed down the Keys.  The chief pilot is in the left seat, I'm right side in the B-24.  The fight engineers wife gives a shout that she'll be in the space under the flight deck to pee.  A few minutes later I feel the airflow change in the cockpit and when I look back the FE is opening the bomb bay.  Before I could scream no his wife throws her zip lock of pee into the 180mph wind blast.  Now an odd thing about both of the bombers is that with the bomb bay open the airflow comes forward into the cockpit and if you happen to have the cockpit side windows open it can be a forceful flow, I've seen it rip maps out of hands. :)  Anyway out goes the pee, and then right back in with a fine mist hitting us in the pilot seats.  Now the B-24 is an hydraulic airplane so you are very sensitive if you notice any fluids....Rob, the pilot, did notice and turned toward me with a WTF look on his face.  As he scanned farther aft and was able to put the entire picture together.......again priceless.
Columbo

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 06:09:38 PM »
 :rofl