Author Topic: base turnover: guns vs hangars  (Read 7961 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: base turnover: guns vs hangars
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2018, 03:27:01 AM »
....and again avoid fighting. You do know you can roll bases all by yourself off line and save the internet cost right?  :rolleyes:

The point is players are AVOIDING fighting in a COMBAT game and nobody seems to know "why" we have so many fewer players than we use to.  :headscratch:

your statement about players avoiding combat, i would call that almost an outright lie.  not saying every base is defended but there's a lot of pretty good fights over bases.

of course your idea of a base take would be something along the lines of what FSO is about.  for 1 week they plan the attack and defense of a target.  so you love on every base take for 10-15 players to sit 15 or 20 minutes in a room while way points are plotted, target assigned.  then you have another 10-15 players on the other side expecting an attack and getting assignments sitting in a room for 15 minutes.

you like that play FSO, it happens 3 times a month.  started playing, I dont know over 10 years ago.  never seen this kind of play, not saying it didnt happen, but I doubt every base take was planned as you always suggest "combat" should be.

semp

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2018, 04:46:18 AM »
You all do realize that just because the guns popped, it doesn't mean a retake isn't immediately possible. I agree with the auto-guns coming back immediately, it gives the victors a LITTLE cover to land. This crap about hangers and planning and all that is just a bunch of hooey so that the habitual complainers can have a topic to gripe about.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2018, 07:16:03 AM »
with 12 of you and 3 of us coming from an airfield back a base will do nothing to save the base.. It will keep us fighting in the air while troops run into maproom...

You are kind of just making up numbers? Where does 12 and 3 come from?

Why is the outside of a strat factory like a parking lot for m3 supply drivers before the strat is even hit?
Why when i go to a a base alone, and start hitting a town, the only resistance I get is from a guy with supplies?
If you think younger generations will pay 15 dollars a month for that sort of gameplay,  you are mistaken.  The left over population of this game is older folk, hanging on to hope that it returns to its glory days..

Days before the crap described above.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2018, 09:28:48 AM »
your statement about players avoiding combat, i would call that almost an outright lie.  not saying every base is defended but there's a lot of pretty good fights over bases.

of course your idea of a base take would be something along the lines of what FSO is about.  for 1 week they plan the attack and defense of a target.  so you love on every base take for 10-15 players to sit 15 or 20 minutes in a room while way points are plotted, target assigned.  then you have another 10-15 players on the other side expecting an attack and getting assignments sitting in a room for 15 minutes.

you like that play FSO, it happens 3 times a month.  started playing, I dont know over 10 years ago.  never seen this kind of play, not saying it didnt happen, but I doubt every base take was planned as you always suggest "combat" should be.

semp

semp

What I described happened two, three times a night on squad night unless we hit an epic defense. Mission planner had missions saved and could have them loaded in minutes. Assignments for 10-15 players again in minutes, more often than not on climb out..... yes we would climb out to the target.

This past Saturday night....

Logged in around 8PM eastern, just over 100 players on (I think the count made it to 128 as a high for the night) Small Pizza map, Bish are down 50-60% of their bases Knight and Bish front is the only fight going on. I spent the next two hour chasing singles that were trying to drop bombs on GV fights. Made one run to chase down 25-28K B17s with a 262 but only got one before I ran out of ammo (ya my aim sucks).

1030-1100 est, Knights bring up a CV and attack and capture one of our bases. We push back and take it back. I get in a fight or two, but it is mostly lawndarters and runners that failed their picks.

3 hours and 2 maybe 3 fights, the rest of the time it was chasing runners. Why would a new player decide to pay $15 a month for that? Changes must be made. The OP has an idea, give it a go.

The gaming industry has changed a lot in the past 10 years. Aces High, not so much. If things dont change they are just going to continue to slowly fade away. Last year we could still hit 200 players in the MA on a Saturday night. While 200 isnt that great a number it would be awesome these days. 

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2018, 09:57:39 AM »
pizza map always has very few fights as most players are in gvs.  that's why I didnt log in saturday, log in saw it, left.  you should have been on the map before, lots of of fights that lasted for hours.

you dont have to have a sit down for a base take.  just up and see who's gonna hit what on the way there.  it's not like every base is different and you must have to have a plan to successfully take it.  what is there to hit? vh first, then town, get rid of the funny 88's, suppress all fighters that are up or are upping and stop those coming from another base, watch for gv's on the ground.  it's not that difficult.

a lot of the times, we dont want to take a base, they dont want to take a base, we just furball in the middle of 2.  it's a lot of fun.  not every base attacked is with the purpose of taking it.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2018, 01:33:42 PM »
You are kind of just making up numbers? Where does 12 and 3 come from?

Why is the outside of a strat factory like a parking lot for m3 supply drivers before the strat is even hit?
Why when i go to a a base alone, and start hitting a town, the only resistance I get is from a guy with supplies?
If you think younger generations will pay 15 dollars a month for that sort of gameplay,  you are mistaken.  The left over population of this game is older folk, hanging on to hope that it returns to its glory days..

Days before the crap described above.
numbers may very the point is being outnumbered trying to get off the runway to defend and getting vulched is just giving away free kills I know I've done it many times I understand if you're trying to take the base stopping me means vulching it's the nature of the beast doesn't mean I'll bend over and let you take me easy and if you hit strats first resupply will do little to nothing I might hide in m8 or pilot by maproom doesn't mean I'm avoiding combat it means you have left me that only option
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2018, 01:49:06 PM »
wow...this started off as a simple...why do the guns insta fix and hangers not ....to...welll   this   hahahaha

Yep.  Hangars, ordnance bunkers, fuel tanks, barracks and radar towers all stay down for the designated time but the guns magically pop up upon capture. 

Why?
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2018, 01:50:22 PM »
And whether it be resupplying the town getting in a manned  gun upping a GV or getting an aircraft and up in from the field it's all defending the base it just may not be your idea if you up it's all combat if you up you can die the risk is real my friend except for Manned guns I never understood why gunners don't get the kill against them if somebody shoots the gun
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2018, 02:36:46 PM »
The ease of resupply is born from the losing side not engaging the resupply vehicles running to town. It's still like a 5 minute ride to most towns from the vehicle spawn. That's more than enough time to track them down and break their toys.

What I have witnessed is those that lose a base very rarely turn around and fight back. While a majority of the community (actively on these boards) want some form of back and forth exchange between forces, there is still a portion of those that play the game that prefer the path of least resistance or putting forth effort but, "effort" is subjective.

It would make sense for defenses to be up and running first after a capture as a fortified structure is much better to launch ops from than an undefended one.

If it's the "gamey" (<--- terrible word for this situation) or "unrealistic" or "non immersive" aspect that is bugging you then recommend something that would be tangible. Perhaps something like this:

• No sorties can be flown from field for 15 minutes
  • ** No attacks on the airfield can happen for 20 Minutes
  • AAA downtime adjusted to 10 min - defenses always go up first
  • Supplies via GV only from a VB with direct spawn point if GV base is not under attack
  • Supplies via AC are allowed
  • Limit the number of supply drops to 4 (2 for field and 2 for town from any combination of GV or AC)

** You know that whole immersion thing that is being complained about here. After being pushed from a base it's very unlikely for the sake of immersion that your team would be able to mount a counter attack to reclaim the base because of logistics and what-not.
Everyone says it's like 5 minutes to get to a town which is actually a pretty big exaggeration for most spawns to towns. When I was more invested in the argument that M3s resupply Towns was OP(which they still are) most rides were around 2 minutes from spawn to drop in about 10 different test spawns...longest was a short spawn with an uphill which took 4 minutes.

No matter though, the combat isn't HTCs focus anymore...which is smart on their part.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2018, 02:37:54 PM »
Yep.  Hangars, ordnance bunkers, fuel tanks, barracks and radar towers all stay down for the designated time but the guns magically pop up upon capture. 

Why?

Because the capture happen by the troops that are manning the guns afterwards. Capture does not require to bring bombs or fuel to the map room.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2018, 08:44:39 PM »
I think the flag should be lowered and we observe a 5 minute silence in remembrance of those whose score was tarnished trying to defend.

:cheers:
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2018, 08:54:54 PM »
Everyone says it's like 5 minutes to get to a town which is actually a pretty big exaggeration for most spawns to towns. When I was more invested in the argument that M3s resupply Towns was OP(which they still are) most rides were around 2 minutes from spawn to drop in about 10 different test spawns...longest was a short spawn with an uphill which took 4 minutes.

No matter though, the combat isn't HTCs focus anymore...which is smart on their part.

Junky you still playing? Havent seen you on in a while!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2018, 10:20:30 AM »
pizza map always has very few fights as most players are in gvs.  that's why I didnt log in saturday, log in saw it, left.  you should have been on the map before, lots of of fights that lasted for hours.

Small Pizza has some good air fights along the shore line. Both due to the fields along the shore as well as CV battles. Of course that doesnt happen much any more because the numbers are so low that you usually have two teams fighting on one front leaving the other team...... chasing runners. Why not institute a mechanism where a team MUST capture one base from "Team A" after capturing 2 bases from "Team B". It brings action to the other front.

you dont have to have a sit down for a base take.  just up and see who's gonna hit what on the way there.  it's not like every base is different and you must have to have a plan to successfully take it.  what is there to hit? vh first, then town, get rid of the funny 88's, suppress all fighters that are up or are upping and stop those coming from another base, watch for gv's on the ground.  it's not that difficult.

No you dont, but thats some of the stuff that IS in the game that is ignored/by-passed, for that watered down version of the game players seem to play these days. Half the fun SHOULD be that your IN the story. Your a WWII pilot on a mission with all the action an active imagination could conjure up. Todays players have washed right over all that and watered down the game to what did you say.... " just up and see who's gonna hit what on the way there" after a couple dozen of those wheres the excitement, the fun? Many players move on to the next game...... one that DOESNT cost $15 a month

a lot of the times, we dont want to take a base, they dont want to take a base, we just furball in the middle of 2.  it's a lot of fun.  not every base attacked is with the purpose of taking it.

semp

I miss the good old furballs. They dont happen very often any more. But what usually starts a furball? Yup a base attack. But not one of the "new" base attacks. Today players come in and try to grab a base quickly. Avoiding FIGHTING for it and bail on it as soon as any defense shows up. How can you get a furball going when the "attackers" run away at the first sign of resistance?

Players arent going to make changes unless forced to by changes in the game. Reward players for posting missions. Reward players for joining missions. Reward players for completing the assigned task IN the mission. Make things more difficult to do to force players AWAY from that type of play, much like the changes made for the endless NOE missions we use to have.

The game Hitech built hasnt changed, but players have muddied what the game use to be. I would love to see HTC come in and play the game like they use to. If they did play more often Im sure they wouldnt be too impressed with the game play. If they do play now, why are they letting the game play get more and more lame. People PAY to play games with challenges and action. Both things are slowly being wiped away from the game.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
base turnover: guns vs hangars
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2018, 10:56:05 AM »
Perhaps it boils down to a player trust issue.

There are more than enough on for great fights. When I log on there always seems to be a lot of good fights going down.

Take this morning as an example. There were 32 people on. A few rooks were working some bish strats, I jump on country and informed them that I was going to work 1 VB, 1 airfield and a port. I lift in TU-2's for the VH's at the VB and about half way there the bish woke up and started actively defending from a handful of surrounding bases. LVT's and buffs tried to work our CV, our bombers hitting a few targets at surrounding bases and Friendly and ENM fighters filling the void.

You can't be a lone wolf and then complain that people aren't playing to your vision of the game.

Do you post missions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2018, 12:02:13 PM »
Perhaps it boils down to a player trust issue.

There are more than enough on for great fights. When I log on there always seems to be a lot of good fights going down.

Take this morning as an example. There were 32 people on. A few rooks were working some bish strats, I jump on country and informed them that I was going to work 1 VB, 1 airfield and a port. I lift in TU-2's for the VH's at the VB and about half way there the bish woke up and started actively defending from a handful of surrounding bases. LVT's and buffs tried to work our CV, our bombers hitting a few targets at surrounding bases and Friendly and ENM fighters filling the void.

You can't be a lone wolf and then complain that people aren't playing to your vision of the game.

Do you post missions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do posted missions actually get filled now there isn't more then 300 people online? Because they didn't at all before last year..

Junky you still playing? Havent seen you on in a while!
I haven't been playing any games too much lately which unfortunately makes this game get pushed to the side a lot because I can't trust that I will always get a good combat experience if I log in outside of Special Events and for the times I am at work Special events are hard to make.

DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"