Author Topic: Attracting more players in the main arena or what ever it's called today.  (Read 31084 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Attracting more players in the main arena or what ever it's called today.
« Reply #150 on: January 08, 2019, 10:23:22 AM »
You are already paying for the free accounts and now for the development of War Online: Pacific.  None of the subscribers gain any benefit.  We all agree that increased subscriber members is the only way to save Aces High X.  By allowing the free accounts into the MA,  they may enjoy the game get addicted and become a subscriber.  The way it is right now, the subscriber base gets no benefit from the free accounts.

Utter BS. No one is paying for any development of anything HTC does except my investors and me. And the last time I check you did not own any stock.

HiTech

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #151 on: January 08, 2019, 10:24:46 AM »
2 weeks free
Try before you buy.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #152 on: January 08, 2019, 10:34:08 AM »
If some deadbeat does not want to pay for anything that is their problem. I do not want to pay for their insurance either.

I think that view is short-sided.

*  They provide body count so it looks like a fully populated MMOG.

*  They provide variety because they are forced to fly non-popular planes.  That way paying customers aren't forced to fight the same 3 plane models every day.

*  They can be used to fillout time of normally lower population like US non-prime time and EU prime. 

*  They are a walking advertisement to others about the game. Floating their access is WAY cheaper than buying air time on History Channel.

* every day they fly for free, they are seeing other stuff in the game that they don't have access too that looks fun.  Every day is a little more pull to get them to subscribe.  "Man, those historical scenarios look fun.  I'd like to try one of those."  Every day you maintain contact with them is another chance to make a sale.  If they try a two week and uninstall, you probably lose the chance forever.

Many programs offer a free level access with premium content for pay.  It isn't a whacky, off the wall idea.  It is a widely used model for good reasons. 

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #153 on: January 08, 2019, 11:04:21 AM »
Exactly what 2 weeks does except they can keep playing and not join.

Folks will just complain they can't fly other planes or drive other vehicles.

As always there is no way to satisfy everyone.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #154 on: January 08, 2019, 11:20:04 AM »
Exactly what 2 weeks does except they can keep playing and not join.

Folks will just complain they can't fly other planes or drive other vehicles.

As always there is no way to satisfy everyone.

If they can figure out how to keep people past that first 20 minutes, this idea makes some sense.

It's very little skin off HTC's nose to allow them limited access to the MA in a couple midwar planes.  Something along the lines of 109F, KI61, P40, F4F, B25, C47, maybe Panzer 4 and M3 troop loadout only.

My main concern is they'd just get discouraged and quit after being constantly hammered by uber planes being flown by more experienced players vs paying the sub.

I think it would also create an uptick in "The only reason you won is because you paid to have a P51" blahblah whining.  Not like that doesn't exist now, I just think it'd create more of it.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #155 on: January 08, 2019, 11:43:30 AM »
If they can figure out how to keep people past that first 20 minutes, this idea makes some sense.

That is a legitimate point, but could be partially related.  If I thought this is a game I could continue to play for a long time, I might be more willing to figure it out.  If I know it is a limited trial, and I believe at that time I probably wouldn't want to pay, I might just not be motivated.  But they need to improve the 20 minute thing in any case.  But if it took 6 weeks to turn a skeptical player into a log-term subscriber instead of two weeks, wouldn't it be worth it?  How much does it actually cost HTC to float a free player vs advertising costs?

As to Shuffler's point,  a two week trial does not increase target variety.  Two-weekers are not required to fly unpopular planes.  Two-weekers are not funneled into off-time slots.  Free players could be regulated by providing different numbers of opening at different times, encouraging them to play at times you need back fill.

The two near-model competitors (Warbirds, WWIIOnline) to AHIII both have free level access to the main play area with limited planeset/weapons. 

More importantly, I'd say about 90% of the software in the mobile app stores have adapted the model of a feature limited free version you can use forever, with a paid version upgrade.  There are some that a pay up front and some that have one time limited trials, but the VAST majority have a free version you can use forever, but a paid version that has more stuff (or no ads).  That has proven to be the most productive model.  And more importantly, I'd guess the mobile app stores are where the current generation if forming it's expectations of software pay models.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 11:45:55 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #156 on: January 08, 2019, 12:20:22 PM »
But none of that numbers in the main arena.  Please allow the free accounts with limited plane sets to play in the main arena to increase numbers, more numbers, more fights, more options for game play.

-1 :old:
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #157 on: January 08, 2019, 12:25:38 PM »
We have folks flying what they want hollering about being hammered by uber planes......

New folks in limited planes are not going to be a happy few.

Please understand.... I would love to have more folks join. I am just not seeing anything different to change what has been going on.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 12:27:43 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #158 on: January 08, 2019, 12:39:38 PM »
The increase in numbers from free accounts is not reflected in the main arean.   Which is losing subscription players because of the lack of numbers.  With the free accounts allowed in the main arena we might retain more subscription and perhaps convert some of the free accounts to subscription so they could join a squad or fly better equipment.

:old: yeah and then the subscription players who have paid to played for years will quit, asking why should they continue to pay when the newbies get to play for free-even with a limited plane set.
and the newbies will quit asking why they have a limited plane set when others can fly what they want.

you say--->[convert some of the free accounts to subscription so they could join a squad or fly better equipment]<---that's the main complaint when the players from Steam, they don't want to pay to play.

this subscription based game is Dales pay check-it houses him and family, feeds them its his employer, it pays his employees, utilities etc, without us paying they would be in the unemployment line-for a very short time I'm sure, but still, how would you feel if you're employer said he's going to give a piece of you're paycheck to someone else to make your job easier? I don't think you would like that.

To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #159 on: January 08, 2019, 12:44:12 PM »
Please understand.... I would love to have more folks join. I am just not seeing anything different to change what has been going on.

The cost of trying new approaches is probably less that the ultimate cost of riding a downward trajectory in to the dirt.

If what you are doing has not been working, you either try something different or you have to believe in magic to save you.

I do not believe in magic.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 12:49:42 PM by CptTrips »

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #160 on: January 08, 2019, 12:46:43 PM »
I agree that HiTech should think about changing the words free to play to free to try. unless that's a big problem he may have to reapply to steam to do that, make a small introduction video on frt page to explain the difference. carrie can narrate it, she has a nice voice. make it mandatory to watch video :D

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #161 on: January 08, 2019, 01:02:17 PM »
We have folks flying what they want hollering about being hammered by uber planes......

New folks in limited planes are not going to be a happy few.

I totally disagree. If they don't choose to pay, they already know they will be flying in an inferier plane. Infact the inferior plane will make them better at the game. I don't go into Battlefield 4 expecting to have the same guns as the vets who have been playing hardcore for years. I don't see people complaining that it's not fair. It actually keeps players around because they like unlocking new guns and equipment.

:old: yeah and then the subscription players who have paid to played for years will quit, asking why should they continue to pay when the newbies get to play for free-even with a limited plane set.
and the newbies will quit asking why they have a limited plane set when others can fly what they want.

you say--->[convert some of the free accounts to subscription so they could join a squad or fly better equipment]<---that's the main complaint when the players from Steam, they don't want to pay to play.

this subscription based game is Dales pay check-it houses him and family, feeds them its his employer, it pays his employees, utilities etc, without us paying they would be in the unemployment line-for a very short time I'm sure, but still, how would you feel if you're employer said he's going to give a piece of you're paycheck to someone else to make your job easier? I don't think you would like that.

They would get all the planes for the first 2 weeks, and then only have access to a 109F and a spit5 after the 2 weeks. This would keep them in the game if they want to continue to play with friends.

Completely disagree. More players actually playing the game are more than likely to subscribe in the long run. These players know that they are flying in inferior planes. Paying members know that if they stop paying, they will only fly inferior planes. A paying sub isn't going to do that more than likely. Like I said, keeping players in the door is much more beneficial than kicking them out and having to decide after that if they want to buy.

I will say that I do think Hitech having the 2 weeks free is great because it let's people try the game. I did not have that opportunity for IL-2, so I decided not to buy it at this time. 

I just think players need a longer chance in the MA once they figure out what the heck they are doing. People just aren't gonna pay $15 a month for something they don't really have a strong grasp on.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #162 on: January 08, 2019, 01:03:51 PM »
So much software is free download.... but to keep using it will cost you money.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #163 on: January 08, 2019, 01:05:25 PM »
you guys seem to forget that new players only stick around for 20 minutes or so.

semp
he speaks the truth. new players come in I ask them if them need help just ask, no reply, I ask them if their headset has a mic no response, if they use a mouse or joystick no response. it's hard to help, if no one asks or help or won't answer you.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #164 on: January 08, 2019, 01:08:44 PM »
I totally disagree. If they don't choose to pay, they already know they will be flying in an inferier plane. Infact the inferior plane will make them better at the game. I don't go into Battlefield 4 expecting to have the same guns as the vets who have been playing hardcore for years. I don't see people complaining that it's not fair. It actually keeps players around because they like unlocking new guns and equipment.

Completely disagree. More players actually playing the game are more than likely to subscribe in the long run. These players know that they are flying in inferior planes. Paying members know that if they stop paying, they will only fly inferior planes. A paying sub isn't going to do that more than likely. Like I said, keeping players in the door is much more beneficial than kicking them out and having to decide after that if they want to buy.

I will say that I do think Hitech having the 2 weeks free is great because it let's people try the game. I did not have that opportunity for IL-2, so I decided not to buy it at this time. 

I just think players need a longer chance in the MA once they figure out what the heck they are doing. People just aren't gonna pay $15 a month for something they don't really have a strong grasp on.

You are talking about completely different folks than the bunch we are speaking of. These folks do not play to get better. If they cannot dominate from their first step, they leave and go to another game. These are folks who give 20 minutes or less. They expect to be given everything and then whoever did all the work... pay their way.  B>)
80th FS "Headhunters"