Author Topic: Boeing 737 800 MAX  (Read 9034 times)

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
Re: Boeing 737 800 MAX
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2019, 06:22:07 AM »
I remember when the Yanks were all over the Rolls Royce engines when they turned into fireworks and when BP polluted the entire American coastline (New Jersey never noticed)

If we were meant to fly planes would still be made in Britain :old:

Are you, of all people, questioning the privileges of Empire?

=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2019, 10:37:45 AM »

Good to know, and glad to hear it!

...but...so why the sudden "extensive change to the flight control system"?

- oldman

Those with professional experience in the 737 may not consider it extensive change”.  Secret from Boeing?  Most definitely.  It may seem sudden because the general public and media don’t care about design features until something goes wrong.  The cause (FACTS) of this recent incident aren’t even known and there’s all this panic about the MCAS.  At this point, there is nothing indicating the MCAS is at fault.

The self proclaimed experts on the 737, don’t have credible experience to make an educated statement on the subject, only an emotional based one.  That rarely turns out be based on anything factual.

Guaranteed that if 737 pilots determined the aircraft was unsafe to fly because of this issue, it wouldn’t be flying.  They don’t need politicians, fear mongers, or keyboard warriors to make that decision for them.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 10:47:11 AM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2019, 10:53:40 AM »
It's not just the 737. 767 for Amazon downed a few weeks ago was also Boeing. They are in trouble.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2019, 11:04:35 AM »
It's not just the 737. 767 for Amazon downed a few weeks ago was also Boeing. They are in trouble.

Wut?   :O
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2019, 11:08:50 AM »
Those with professional experience in the 737 may not consider it extensive change”.  Secret from Boeing?  Most definitely.  It may seem sudden because the general public and media don’t care about design features until something goes wrong.  The cause (FACTS) of this recent incident aren’t even known and there’s all this panic about the MCAS.  At this point, there is nothing indicating the MCAS is at fault.

The self proclaimed experts on the 737, don’t have credible experience to make an educated statement on the subject, only an emotional based one.  That rarely turns out be based on anything factual.

Guaranteed that if 737 pilots determined the aircraft was unsafe to fly because of this issue, it wouldn’t be flying.  They don’t need politicians, fear mongers, or keyboard warriors to make that decision for them.

I’m with you.  All the American (regardless of operator) pilots I know who fly this airplane say it is safe.   

If they felt it wasn’t, the pilot groups involved would walk away from it. 

”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2019, 11:18:19 AM »

Because of..........? 

Using that logic (or lack of), all cars need to be parked because they kill people every day.  Where’s the panic about that issue?  Oh, and don’t forget about motorcycles.

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2019, 11:18:59 AM »
I’m with you.  All the American (regardless of operator) pilots I know who fly this airplane say it is safe.   

If they felt it wasn’t, the pilot groups involved would walk away from it.

AP Story:

Pilots have reported issues in US with new Boeing jet

https://www.apnews.com/0cd5389261f34b01a7cbdb1a12421e27

“That’s not to say it’s not a problem,” American Airlines pilot Dennis Tajer said of the incidents reported to NASA, “but it is not the MCAS. The autopilot has to be off for MCAS to kick in.”

A third pilot complained that Boeing had not explained changes to the plane’s automation to pilots.

“I am left to wonder: what else don’t I know?” the pilot wrote. “The Flight Manual is inadequate and almost criminally insufficient.”
=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2019, 11:25:21 AM »
Because of..........? 

Using that logic (or lack of), all cars need to be parked because they kill people every day.  Where’s the panic about that issue?  Oh, and don’t forget about motorcycles.

Not sure yet. It's been quiet. Was wondering if y'all heard.  Logically speaking planes crash less than cars and are far more fetal to a group of people at one time. Being that it's one major company in a few months is very concerning.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2019, 11:31:48 AM »
Canada has just grounded the 737 MAX8 and now has banned it from their airspace. More knee-jerking than a Tennessee late summer barn-dance hoedown.

I remember a while back in the 90's that the 737 used to have issues with their rudder that sometimes caused it to fully deflect. Interesting that it went on for years - PCU secondary slide jamming from cold fluid. FAA ordered all PCU's replaced in 2002 and mandatory training for  unexpected movement of flight controls.  To my knowledge, that's now a standard in all training no?

My point is, three crashes yet none of the 737's were grounded. Yet, in our socially sensitivitivity hyper-excited society, we tend to overreact than to objectively and calmly make better decisions. Grounding ALL MAX8's is an over-reaction.  Sure, any crashing plane is a horrible accident, but putting unneeded stress due to our new stupid-social norms is starting to become irritating.  /RANT OFF
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2019, 11:33:48 AM »
AP Story:

“That’s not to say it’s not a problem,” American Airlines pilot Dennis Tajer said of the incidents reported to NASA, “but it is not the MCAS. The autopilot has to be off for MCAS to kick in.”

A third pilot complained that Boeing had not explained changes to the plane’s automation to pilots.

“I am left to wonder: what else don’t I know?” the pilot wrote. “The Flight Manual is inadequate and almost criminally insufficient.”

My question being, how many pilots?  This article is typical of today’s media.  They’ve found one Airline Captain who is obviously in a lather and butt hurt about the issue.  So, he fits the media’s agenda. If they’ve talked to one more pilot, they can state “pilots”.  After reading the article, I don’t see where he has refused to fly the Max 8. 

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2019, 11:41:47 AM »
Not sure yet. It's been quiet. Was wondering if y'all heard.  Logically speaking planes crash less than cars and are far more fetal to a group of people at one time. Being that it's one major company in a few months is very concerning.

Those who fly or have flown professionally, know that a rush to judgement in these instances is counter productive without FACTS in hand.  If there is a known, factual deficiency that is immediately identified and confirmed, then and only then will aircraft be grounded.  For the most part, professional pilots will continue to fly with your safety foremost in everything they do, and wait for the facts to be known. 

This obviously doesn’t fit the fake news agenda and burning need to be first with the story, regardless of the facts.

There will always be someone who needs attention and will grandstand for the media, and an extra paycheck.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 11:44:01 AM by Puma44 »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2019, 11:48:07 AM »
AP Story:

Already noted and addressed in a prior post.  Nothingburger.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2019, 11:50:31 AM »
My question being, how many pilots?  This article is typical of today’s media.  They’ve found one Airline Captain who is obviously in a lather and butt hurt about the issue.  So, he fits the media’s agenda. If they’ve talked to one more pilot, they can state “pilots”.  After reading the article, I don’t see where he has refused to fly the Max 8.

Two total NASA reports out of THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of cycles.   Sounds like a CYA report to avoid a violation.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2019, 12:03:45 PM »
Canada has just grounded the 737 MAX8 and now has banned it from their airspace. More knee-jerking than a Tennessee late summer barn-dance hoedown.

I remember a while back in the 90's that the 737 used to have issues with their rudder that sometimes caused it to fully deflect. Interesting that it went on for years - PCU secondary slide jamming from cold fluid. FAA ordered all PCU's replaced in 2002 and mandatory training for  unexpected movement of flight controls.  To my knowledge, that's now a standard in all training no?

My point is, three crashes yet none of the 737's were grounded. Yet, in our socially sensitivitivity hyper-excited society, we tend to overreact than to objectively and calmly make better decisions. Grounding ALL MAX8's is an over-reaction.  Sure, any crashing plane is a horrible accident, but putting unneeded stress due to our new stupid-social norms is starting to become irritating.  /RANT OFF

While the PCU issue was being resolved, 737 operators flew at higher speeds at various flap settings to mitigate crossover issues.  In time, the PCUs where replaced and flap maneuvering speeds were returned to previous values.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2019, 12:05:45 PM »
Canada have also grounded the MAX.

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/boeing-737-max-8-ethiopia-airlines-crash/index.html
Canada Minister of Transport Marc Garneau just announced that as the result of new data that they received this morning, they will no longer allow Boeing 737 Max 8 or 9 aircraft to take off and land or fly over Canadian airspace.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking