Author Topic: Late war Plane dillema  (Read 39743 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Late war Plane dillema
« Reply #135 on: April 03, 2019, 08:23:25 PM »
Mid war was best arena ever.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #136 on: April 03, 2019, 08:24:23 PM »
All 38s in the 80th and SAPP get the deluxe model SUX 6000 Blender that doubles as a trolling motor, roll inducer, and frozen margarita machine.
Nice
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #137 on: April 03, 2019, 08:39:28 PM »

Much as I agree .... I don't remember it drawing more than 20 players. There's some sort of draw to late war. Larger #s have an appeal all its own.

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #138 on: April 03, 2019, 08:47:32 PM »

Yes, because you made seat covers out of the hundreds of scalps you got off me!

Agreed, mw was very fun in those 5 on 5 base take battles.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #139 on: April 03, 2019, 08:54:16 PM »
Yeah, well. Someone here recently said that a problem with the game play is that there is a cadre of good sticks who fly good planes and they pretty much slaughter any new-ish guy they come across. They also slaughter a bunch of not new but not particularly gifted players as well, but we are used to it. The problem is the ratio of the cadre to the new-ish. There aren't enough of us mediocres such that anyone new to the game feels like they have much of a chance. The tradition is to say "its a tough world stop crying" and that's all well and good except that as you may have noticed we need every new player we can get.

As for Novice's boredom if you don't know what he is talking about then you are fortunate indeed. I do not have a solution but I don't think it is useful to deny that the phenomena can be a bit of a problem and that it is real even if you have never experienced it yourself. Personally my boredom centers around the Yak3 as it used to around the LA7, it is a case of not having the skill to fly the way I want to not get killed by them unless advantaged. Wah Wah Wah you may well say but frankly I'm at the point of just augering or bailing when I see a Yak3 with advantage coming down to say hello, I almost did it in a f4uC the other night, instead I just flew through some boat ack and off into the distance AFK well getting a snack, not very stimulating for anybody. Any other planes I do not mind losing too but I cannot stand the Yak3 and the now less seen LA7. I don't expect anybody to sympathize but I do not think I am alone in just rolling my eyes when I see them. This is an extreme allergic reaction but it is based on the same kind of principal as being bored out of your mind by being unable to find a fight that you personally find enjoyable and I think you can probably figure out how to classify what kinds of fights are enjoyable for what kinds of skill/plane match ups and I suspect that right now there are less fun fights happening for less skilled less hot plane flyers than there were in the past.

So there  :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 09:37:47 PM by pembquist »
Pies not kicks.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #140 on: April 03, 2019, 09:26:54 PM »
You seem to have missed the point.

People get to play the way they want to. If you find that boring then it is your problem.

True enough, if rude.  The difficulty is that a very large portion of the AH population is finding this style of flying, and - most important - the resulting lack of combat, to be boring.  And because of that - so the theory goes - they are leaving, and going to other places.

Now we can ignore that.  We can make fun of them for not anticipating other flying styles, for being intolerant, or for being inartful flyers themselves.  But that avoids the issue, it doesn't address it.  If it's really an issue.

If it's a real thing; if we are losing players because of an increasing reluctance to engage in combat...shouldn't we maybe think of some way to fix it?  And hey, if not, then pop the champagne cork and have a drink!

- oldman

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2019, 09:34:31 PM »
Nobody said everything is great, that's a straw man.

We'd all like to see a workable idea that brings more people into the game.

Show me the good ideas.   :D

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #142 on: April 03, 2019, 09:36:40 PM »

What do you think might help?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2019, 09:44:24 PM »
What do you think might help?

People taking personal responsibility and developing self-awareness. But I can't force them to do that.

What's your idea?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #144 on: April 03, 2019, 09:54:12 PM »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #145 on: April 03, 2019, 10:05:49 PM »

I was gone when it went away.

What happened?  Just empty all the time?
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline novice

• Copper Member
« Reply #146 on: April 03, 2019, 10:13:20 PM »

True enough, if rude.  The difficulty is that a very large portion of the AH population is finding this style of flying, and - most important - the resulting lack of combat, to be boring.  And because of that - so the theory goes - they are leaving, and going to other places.

Now we can ignore that.  We can make fun of them for not anticipating other flying styles, for being intolerant, or for being inartful flyers themselves.  But that avoids the issue, it doesn't address it.  If it's really an issue.

If it's a real thing; if we are losing players because of an increasing reluctance to engage in combat...shouldn't we maybe think of some way to fix it?  And hey, if not, then pop the champagne cork and have a drink!

- oldman

This is what I was trying to say , im not leaving the game or nothing I just got here. Its just causing me to log off in hopes more ppl show. The damn maps dont help either. Just now there were 115 of us on and you would think it was 17.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #147 on: April 03, 2019, 10:15:08 PM »
People taking personal responsibility and developing self-awareness. But I can't force them to do that.

What's your idea?

You are assuming the problem lies with the player.  I am suggesting it lies within the game mechanics.

I would like to see the sandbox modified to produce less white space.  Generate battles for targets that need to be won before other targets are opened.

Outside of that 'active' battle front nothing is open for business.  Funnel the fights to an area commensurate with the population density.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #148 on: April 03, 2019, 10:18:15 PM »
Oh yeah. A map with three swirling valleys with 30k cliffs on both sides that meet in the middle. The buffs guys'll love that.  :cool:

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #149 on: April 03, 2019, 10:18:30 PM »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)