Author Topic: Late war Plane dillema  (Read 39779 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: Late war Plane dillema
« Reply #165 on: April 03, 2019, 11:28:36 PM »
Good question.

Terrific idea.   :aok

Guess my next question.   :D

Hey, I'm the idea guy.  I wave my hands around in front of the whiteboard and talk about big ideas.

Implementation details are someone else's problem.   :D

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #166 on: April 04, 2019, 12:00:08 AM »
I was suspecting more like lack of widespread interest killed off the early and mid and AHIII was just an opportunity not to continue them. We all know that those arena could still be activated in AHIII.

The decline of both EW and MW arena started when the MA was split into two arenas.  Before that the MW arena had a healthy population with up to 50-60 players during prime time.  The MW arena had the best plane matchup, with no plane being overly dominant over another in a plane versus plane matchup with pilot skill usually being determining factor in a fight.

The P-38J, during MW's heyday, was the MW's dominating fighter, far surpassing the Hellcat, which was #2, by a large margin.  I looked at the stats at the time and found that 3 pilots were responsible for over 75% of the kills in the Lightning while only making up less than 10% of the deaths.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #167 on: April 04, 2019, 12:05:45 AM »
I still want the big scenario that deals with positive or negative affects on logistics based on capture or loss of resources - complete with R&D deciding what models are available over time.

Granted, there would come a tipping point where it becomes painfully obvious who will eventually win the war.

Like in Air Warrior where damaging factories had an impact on the quality of fuel, plane maintenance and ordnance?
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 04, 2019, 01:11:10 AM »
The decline of both EW and MW arena started when the MA was split into two arenas.  Before that the MW arena had a healthy population with up to 50-60 players during prime time.

The second LW arena was there almost from the start, it was added as a potential temporary measure only three after the EW/MW/LW split (the 'missing'  EW/MW planes were put back in the LW at the same time), and became permament not long after.

I admit I had to look that details up in the notes first, after 12+years my memory of the events seems to have become a bit blurry  :old:

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #169 on: April 04, 2019, 01:31:38 AM »
I understand your angle but a skilled player would be able to have fun flying mid war plane in such enviromet. What im trying to get to..

Altho im perfectly happy with the game the way it is I also understand the plight of some ppl that are not happy with the unbalance.

I think the issue we are facing player base that is 20%  super skilled and 80% average. It would be easier to make MA more balanced by limiting use of 5eny planes by 20% er than waiting for the other 80% to catch up, wich we honestly never will.

I would venture to say a lot more newbs in d9 or spit 16 would turn and fight a g14 or something along that line than another Spit 16 or god fobid La-7.

any restrictions on the game that limits what a player can fly or not fly, may result in said player or players quiting.

you have to remember alot of players have been playing/flying longer than alot of others, also they know all the acm-so that makes them very skilled, its not their fault.

I would venture to say a lot more newbs in d9 or spit 16 would turn and fight a g14 or something along that line than another Spit 16 or god fobid La-7.
[/quote]   i'll fight a G14 in a spit 5-8,9,16-even though i don't like them the spit 14 as well.

just because a late war plane is faster in most cases than a late or mid or early war plane doesn't mean LWP's can't be shot down-it takes 2 items to factor that--type of plane and pilot vs type of plane and pilot. call me stupid if you want but i'll fight anyone with any plane against any plane at any time-except the Match play arena.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #170 on: April 04, 2019, 01:40:10 AM »
I will reiterate my post.  What is the problem?  What is the dilemma being created by late war planes?

I am hearing many solutions but until you properly define the problem your solutions are likely to miss the mark.  Here is my personal take on it.

Recently my gameplay has become mostly about evading high speed hit and run passes or chasing fast aircraft around the arena.  This gameplay allows me to practice my defensive moves however I rarely get the chance to hit back or get into more aggressive fights.  It is unbalanced, makes for a boring / frustrating game session and I have now reached the point where it is preferable to go play a different game.  I believe the high top end speeds of the later war planes makes the practice more widespread.

That is my problem statement.  Yours may vary.  There may be many ways to reduce / eliminate the problem however as I said previously, until we can agree on the problem we will never agree on a solution.

Here^^^ is a guy that only fly's the P-51D if eny won't let him fly it, instead of switching to another side he logs off, then complains about eny on the boards.
side switch is 6hrs. but he still switch. he won't even consider flying anything else.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #171 on: April 04, 2019, 02:41:09 AM »

I used to have 5 accounts.  I got around the side switch timer easily.  Because you do not know those other names is irrelevant.

Yes I  prefer to fly the 51 almost exclusively.

So understand this....and I  mean read what I am writing and UNDERSTAND it.

If I fly the 51 and am bored stupid by people hitting and running to the point I cannot really get a fight.  I chase and chase but truth is I am bored.  Imagine how bored people in slower planes are.

All we are trying to do is brainstorm ways to overcome that boredom factor.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #172 on: April 04, 2019, 02:48:14 AM »
I do not remember a time that EW and MW planes were not available in LW.

I flew my P-38j in MW and LW.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 04, 2019, 06:29:28 AM »
I do not remember a time that EW and MW planes were not available in LW.

The genuine EW planes were missing from MW and LW for the first three days :)

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #174 on: April 04, 2019, 06:45:03 AM »
I fly a healthy dose of P-40 and other related very non-perky planes.  To me, it is so much more rewarding getting kills in them to me than perky planes.

You know someone is not flying for score when you routinely see them in junk planes.  :old:

Hey its everyone $15\month so they can fly how they want.  :salute

...just one thing though.  For you Spit16\LA7\PerkBoyPlane guys...check six!
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #175 on: April 04, 2019, 07:11:46 AM »

The genuine EW planes were missing from MW and LW for the first three days

I think it was longer than that!

Always believed it was a huge mistake to put them back into the LW arenas.  There was no incentive to go to the EW or MW arenas if you could get all the same planes in one place.

- oldman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 04, 2019, 08:14:04 AM »

I think it was longer than that!

So thought I. In fact, I would have guessed it's been a few weeks.
But the arena split happened Septemper 13 2006. Three days later there was the following message in the News forum: "Some early planes are no longer retired from service in the mid and late arenas."

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #177 on: April 04, 2019, 08:24:07 AM »
Like in Air Warrior where damaging factories had an impact on the quality of fuel, plane maintenance and ordnance?

Somewhat. More like 'Axis and Allies' (the board game) where each side has xxx resource points it can put toward production or research regarding how many fighters, bombers, GVs they have in inventory and what kinds (including surplus). Multiple theater maps encompass the entire war and are alternated between frames. What determines the number of points each side has are the number of strats totaled for each side. Resources created on one map take one full turn to be transported to another map (in other words, tanks built in Great Britain cannot be put to immediate use in Africa the next frame but may be shipped to France and be available in port cities if the Allies have a toehold in France and the map depicts both GB and France).

Something like that (with potential for some modification).  :D

*It would be a spreadsheet thing with players doing the figuring.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #178 on: April 04, 2019, 08:29:20 AM »
I used to have 5 accounts.  I got around the side switch timer easily.

$75 bucks a month and you only needed 3. Huh.  :headscratch:

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #179 on: April 04, 2019, 08:38:20 AM »
Hey its everyone $15\month so they can fly how they want.  :salute

Maybe HTC should allow slower, turny planes to be flown for free then?

As long as your not breaking the TOS you should be allowed to play, but do you know that some games like Mechwarrior Online have gameplay specific terms of service? If you try and hide to just delay your enemy winning the round (and stopping everyone else from enjoying/moving on to other matches) you can be kicked/banned from the service.

No fights are a detrement to the game, specially in times like these.

What can be done about it?