Author Topic: Late war Plane dillema  (Read 39779 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: Late war Plane dillema
« Reply #240 on: April 05, 2019, 01:19:38 PM »
The big difference is more choices in the market place to suit different people.

I think that is fair. 

I don't think HTC did anything "wrong" to cause the decline in numbers.

The number have declined however.  That is an inescapable fact.  And the decline of numbers has had some effect on the melee experience. 

Yeah, change always carries risk.  Sometimes however, refusing to change anything can be equally risky.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #241 on: April 05, 2019, 01:27:45 PM »
I think that is fair. 

The number have declined however.  That is an inescapable fact.  And the decline of numbers has had some effect on the melee experience. 

Yeah, change always carries risk.  Sometimes however, refusing to change anything can be equally risky.

Then you must be reassured by the constant changes to Aces High since it started.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #242 on: April 05, 2019, 01:30:37 PM »
I think that is fair. 

From where I'm sitting, it just seems like the only viable change strategy would be in the "complete overhaul of pretty much everything" category.  They could make all kinds of incremental changes, but I think it wouldn't make enough of a difference to sway people who would look at this and then look at something else that is a) free and b) has more shiny stuff in it.

And I think the number of people who aren't looking for the kind of stuff brand x provides is miniscule.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #243 on: April 05, 2019, 01:32:10 PM »
I think Hitech should use coding to steer the game back to a combat game. At his point players have bastardized the game so far away from combat that is silly to use the word combat on the web page.

Until something is done to bring back the combat the game will continue to bore players quickly and they will continue to  leave.

I think our confusing the words 'combat' and 'sport' and incorrectly assessing that HT is to blame and that coding is the answer to the imagined problem.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #244 on: April 05, 2019, 01:34:37 PM »
Then you must be reassured by the constant changes to Aces High since it started.

There has been a lot over the years.  I hope there is a lot more.

Even if he has to ignore the "FEAR CHANGE!!!!!" crowd.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #245 on: April 05, 2019, 01:37:07 PM »
Okay fair enough. In your opinion why do you think we had tons of guys playing in 06-10 and then now we are here.

Some got distracted (by life, online sparkly things, etc). Some actually died and found it difficult to keep playing in that condition. I'm worried more about potential new people clicking on the button on the main page that'll bring them here before trying the game out and seeing the 'prophets of doom' and their sunny disposition.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #246 on: April 05, 2019, 01:40:05 PM »
Some got distracted (by life, online sparkly things, etc). Some actually died and found it difficult to keep playing in that condition.

Surely the dead guys could still fly a spitfire or a bomber though, right?

I'm worried more about potential new people clicking on the button on the main page that'll bring them here before trying the game out and seeing the 'prophets of doom' and their sunny disposition.

I wouldn't worry too much about that.  Unless this is their first online gaming forum (which I would find pretty unlikely) people are pretty used to there being a certain percentage of the population on a forum espousing DOOOOOOOOOOM.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #247 on: April 05, 2019, 01:42:16 PM »

There has been a lot over the years.  I hope there is a lot more.

Even if he has to ignore the "FEAR CHANGE!!!!!" crowd.

Straw men are easy to ignore.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #248 on: April 05, 2019, 01:44:42 PM »
Surely the dead guys could still fly a spitfire or a bomber though, right?

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #249 on: April 05, 2019, 02:58:36 PM »
Some actually died and found it difficult to keep playing in that condition.

Slackers.

Well, every game has attrition.  Let's re-phrase the question. 

Why do you think new player acquisition and retainment has failed to out pace player attrition?

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #250 on: April 05, 2019, 03:06:19 PM »
I think our confusing the words 'combat' and 'sport' and incorrectly assessing that HT is to blame and that coding is the answer to the imagined problem.

I have not seen anyone state that HT is to BLAME.  He has created a game that gives people freedom of action and they are using that freedom as they seem fit.  What we are suggesting is the total freedom of action is making for a pretty boring game right now and some coding intervention to reduce the impact of that behaviour might be an appropriate way to go.

I remember in WWIIONLINE there was a problem with spawn campers.  They applied a coding fix to resolve the situation.  HT has done the same here with the walls around the VH.  Just because people can do something in an open world environment does not mean they should.

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #251 on: April 05, 2019, 03:08:41 PM »
Yes, people. If you do not Respect The Fight (tm) you are a Bad Person and are what is wrong with the game. When you see a 1 v 1 you must circle above it either yelling "fight fight fight" over range vox or alternately playing "You're the Best" by Joe Esposito into your mic.  All other activity in the area must grind to a halt for each 1v1 that is about to occur. 1v1s are special and must be prioritized above all else.

MPA is on the left. I really wish all you guys that want 2 player gameplay would use it so you'd be happy and the constant selfish whining would cease.

Wiley.
that's not what im saying at all.  you read into it to hear what you wanted to hear.  I understand the mentality and get that's part of the game.  but when no bases are flashing and tow cons meet why not have a fight?  do you fly your fighter for scenery, and no disrespect to the game but there are sims that you can load a lot better scenery.  do you fly a fighter in this COMBAT GAME for something to do other than the dishes?  I highly doubt it.  I am just saying the game maybe better off with out a lot of late war monsters that much like in novices film makes the one pass run move. 

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #252 on: April 05, 2019, 03:27:38 PM »
Personally I'd like to see a team of map makers get together and build new maps quickly. Wish I had the time. Regardless of the EZ mode planes, arenas that provide great air combat at a quicker pace tend to do very well. Arenas that allow for quick pace fights during the off hours do a lot better. Arenas that provide paths of action make for really great fights. A lot of the times, the map makes the fights.

Perhaps, experimenting was the wrong term. Evolve, would be a better term. Nothing I ever say is to change the MA at all. Most of the things I say never involve any coding or major structure changes. I love the MA. Figuring out ways to make the fights more abundant is the real solution. As another said in this thread before, the time it takes to get to the fight and then dying quickly is why players fly timidly. It's not about score or rank or anything else. These dudes just don't want to spend another 10-15 minutes climbing out for it to happen again. I realize that it is part of the game, but working on maps that create more adundant furballs with shorter bases ease the pain of having to roll again and taking the time of getting alt. I think some of the new maps have been successful in that.  Y'all can make the false arguements and say " I just want to increase my own performance by changing the MA" but that is entirely false. If I wanted to increase my performance, id fly a temp or La7 every sortie. I simply want more people to be fighting in furballs who aren't afraid to roll again because it will take so long to get there and who then have to choose the top performing planes because that's the only way to compete since every one else is flying them. When you get 3-4 big furballs on the Map, thats when you get the most players. That's how you bring the #s back.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #253 on: April 05, 2019, 03:29:36 PM »
Exactly.  They were tolerating the gameplay here until something that was more of a "game" that suited them better came along.

Wiley.

Games that are not WWII Aces High will never be.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #254 on: April 05, 2019, 04:17:38 PM »
If only a few people are doing it it's not a problem.

If most people are doing it it's the community preference.

So your saying that if we are all in a checkers championship and half way through the games the "majority" of the players just push all the pieces off the board it would be ok, right?  Just because "most" of the people are doing it, doesnt make it right.

Im not blaming Hitech for anything, he has built a great game. If he has made any mistake I would say he hasnt adapted to the changing "gamer" world. This has cause more and more people to "look" other places for the game they want to play. I still think Hitech could code things into the game to make more players "find" action.

I have not seen anyone state that HT is to BLAME.  He has created a game that gives people freedom of action and they are using that freedom as they seem fit.  What we are suggesting is the total freedom of action is making for a pretty boring game right now and some coding intervention to reduce the impact of that behaviour might be an appropriate way to go.

I remember in WWIIONLINE there was a problem with spawn campers.  They applied a coding fix to resolve the situation.  HT has done the same here with the walls around the VH.  Just because people can do something in an open world environment does not mean they should.

BINGO!