Author Topic: none of my business, But  (Read 8563 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: none of my business, But
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2019, 11:10:49 AM »
Really, you haven’t heard of Monday Night Madness in the AvA?
Five minutes you say? I’d say that was inaccurate to begin with, unless you’re in the AvA on Monday evening and then it’s more like two or three minutes.
Come join me as another target. The expertin will humble us both, repeatedly.

I think Pommy is from Australia so time wise "Monday Night Madness " isn't really an option for him.

Not every problem can be solved with what is available now, that is why games and game  companies must evolve with the time.  believe it or not, change can be a good thing.

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2019, 11:23:18 AM »
Hey bustr, I know you like to show off your work and you know I am a constant critic of your work...

Your maps are beautiful works of art that are meticulously designed, crafted and made, they deserve to be exaulted in their own way: They express and share something that once existed in this game but those days are over and what we need now are the following:

- Small maps.
- Clinical, mathematical and symmetric designs with no bias for any type of player (like the starcraft 2 designs).
- Bases that are closest together as engine limits go (for intensity of encounters).
- Tons of CVs with open water areas for large/multiple CV on CV encounters.

I have put several designs to paper but I lack your skill and ability bustr so I won't ever be able to make them real. All I can do is put something out there and hope someone catches it and uses it (I was always better at giving ideas then making them, even then my ideas wern't always good).

AH can grow again, HT can do it again.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2019, 01:57:00 PM »
You get Hitech to allow 5x5 terrains in the MA and you will have what you think you want. I am building terrains for the MA by the rules he limits me to.

My last two terrains condensed the majority of feilds into a 6 sector diameter area and they resulted in constant activity during prime time USA. After that, no amount of formula is going to make anyone fight. BowlMA and Oceania have CV and battleship task groups out the wazoo. Riftval has a tiny central pond to keep task group transit time down really low to find the other task groups and have ship to ship combat. The players make sure the three task groups never see each other in that tiny central pond to my surprise. Guess I needed to make the pond even smaller to get ship combat out of the customers.

Most customers look at cv groups as movable airfields with big guns, not as an opportunity to have ship to ship furballs. I tested that premise on riftval by making the medium feilds on the central peninsulas of no strategic relevance. The customers still only use the task groups for assaulting them while avoiding contact with the other task groups.

Build a few terrains and try out your formulas, after 3 terrains myself, I've learned a lot more about the MA and how the customers utilize it than you have.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2019, 03:02:20 PM »
for those who think smaller maps lead to more fights. guess you weren't there Tuesday at midnight.  a free knights or bishops win the map with 10 players on. imagine how much faster it would have been with smaller maps.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2019, 05:10:23 PM »
for those who think smaller maps lead to more fights. guess you weren't there Tuesday at midnight.  a free knights or bishops win the map with 10 players on. imagine how much faster it would have been with smaller maps.

semp

Here is my thought.  Large map + low population = ability to attack and take undefended bases.  Therefore map ends.

If we took it to the extreme.  Imagine if the map was only 2 sides with 1 base each, that is pretty much as small as it gets.  5 players a side it would be some fight and a decent amount of time before the bases changed hands.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2019, 06:12:56 PM »
I think Pommy is from Australia

[sarcasm on]I'm surprised fess hasn't reported him for being racist[sarcasm off]

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2019, 06:36:00 PM »
Here is my thought.  Large map + low population = ability to attack and take undefended bases.  Therefore map ends.

If we took it to the extreme.  Imagine if the map was only 2 sides with 1 base each, that is pretty much as small as it gets.  5 players a side it would be some fight and a decent amount of time before the bases changed hands.

how many times do you need to be told no to two sides?

and what makes you think people will stay logged in to furball?

semp

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2019, 06:40:00 PM »

semp

I'm still surprised that those who harp the 'two side' thing don't fly more in the AvA or events. yeah, I know .... limited plane set. But you sure have every participant involved.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2019, 06:47:08 PM »
[sarcasm on]I'm surprised fess hasn't reported him for being racist[sarcasm off]

Vulcan, your attack on me in game was based on my ethnicity.  You seem to think that is acceptable, I do not.  After that incident I chose to play only under hider names rather than have to put up with another attack.  I changed those names as soon as I could.

It was probably the beginning of the end for me in AH.  I no longer have any active accounts. I am amazed you think your actions were ok.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2019, 06:50:53 PM »

semp

I was not advocating 2 sides.  It was an illustration of the smallest possible map.  Your contention is smaller maps would get rolled quicker.  My counter is smaller maps would force people to fight for captures rather than allow them to steamroll undefended bases

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2019, 06:57:39 PM »
I was not advocating 2 sides.  It was an illustration of the smallest possible map.  Your contention is smaller maps would get rolled quicker.  My counter is smaller maps would force people to fight for captures rather than allow them to steamroll undefended bases

I'm gonna tell you what I left out that night. there was a furball fight that was fun and those who wanted to take bases had their fun too. we all had fun.

semp

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2019, 07:05:50 PM »
I'm gonna tell you what I left out that night. there was a furball fight that was fun and those who wanted to take bases had their fun too. we all had fun.

semp

Good everyone had fun.  However, the map ended and ggst leads to the obvious question of how to keep the fun going for all parties without turning the maps over too quickly.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2019, 07:38:22 PM »

and what makes you think people will stay logged in to fight for a base?

semp
  fixed that for ya

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2019, 08:20:11 PM »
Good everyone had fun.  However, the map ended and ggst leads to the obvious question of how to keep the fun going for all parties without turning the maps over too quickly.

offer free margaritas and tequila shots plus a good carne asada and campfire to sit around and tell stories.

semp

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2019, 08:26:50 PM »
offer free margaritas and tequila shots plus a good carne asada and campfire to sit around and tell stories.

semp

For me the plan is beer, BBQ and bombs during TFT : Bavaria '45. :D

(Other than that, it's good to have the MA to practice whatever, whenever and I don't mind it being a challenge to see how to pull it off - fun in the MA, that is.)  :uhoh