Author Topic: Where'd everyone go?  (Read 6485 times)

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
Re: Where'd everyone go?
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2019, 09:46:31 AM »
I have put tremendous thoughts into this... yes my head hurts
I was watching that documentary / movie on HBO yesterday about the 8th air force during WW2, (had an Uncle fly in that bomber group) incredible footage, sad that so many young men died during those bombing runs. Interesting how many of the crews said that it was more frightening when they were forming up then the rest of the flight, because of so many collisions.
Anyway, it makes a lot of sense to me as someone who grew up in the 60's and 70's that a WW2 "game" would be interesting to those of my age, those people were our heroes, our fathers, uncles, even some grandfathers. Who didn't want to emulate those actions?
WW2 , hell even the Korean and beginnings of the Vietnam conflicts are a very long time ago, very unrelatable to most "kids" ( anyone under 35 to me is a kid :) )
The draw to the game needs to be different, not just that it is a WW2 game, but somehow relates to them on a personal level.
OK, someone figure that out now, beyond my abilities and actually way past my nap time :)
NwBie
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2019, 04:24:40 PM »
I think you nailed it in that the younger generation has a much smaller interest in WW2 than the older crowd that composes the current core of AH3ers

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2019, 06:23:17 PM »
Lack of interest in wwII isn't the problem. Thanks to the internet media explosion and the death of TV, today's 20y/o knows more about wwII than my gen did. You don't need to look very far to find current wwII games that are hugely popular.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline peterg2

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2019, 12:44:36 AM »
I was wondering that too. I haven't been flying much for quite a while. I've been popping in once every few months or so for the past few years to keep the game up to date. I've had systems issues ever since Aces3. Basically, the game became not much fun. Flight models changed over the years, so every time I'd fly, aircraft performance had changed, which messed up all the old counter moves against opposition aircraft. But, I may give the game more time, since I have more time. The low turnout is kind of depressing. But, some of the old small maps brings back memories of numerous fur balls.

I've tried to get some of my Facebook pilot friends to try the game out, but there doesn't seem to be much interest. There's probably just too many other online games and videos as competition. Plus, Aces has quite a long learning curve. You can't learn the game in 2 weeks. It basically takes months to get proficient to where it becomes a fun time.     

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2019, 02:43:00 AM »
When I log in to the Melee arena, I look for a fight.
If I see a big-enough radar-bar, I launch and enjoy my time.

If I don't, I log.

Trying to start a fight - attacking a field - normally ends with a battalion of Wirby /Ostwind /88mm  magically enter that field and end your life.

The big maps has to go.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2019, 06:12:38 AM »
Today's kids know very little about WWII. With all the tools at hand they just do not care about history. Games for kids today can only be popular if they are not historical and if you can buy being less vulnerable. If it takes any practice or ability, forget it.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2019, 08:19:27 AM »
There's this one WW2 game that is hugely popular right now called Hell Let Loose. Basically recreates small tactical battles in online form. Thing is most these games are either pay once and your done, or they are free. The only really big successful games I know with subscription models are games with regular huge content updates, so that way there is something to bring people back. For instance in one game I've played called Elder Scrolls Online. They have these content updates every couple months that open huge regions of this continent up. With new places to explore and enemies to kill and etc,etc.

On top of this no one that popular really does videos on this game except for maybe once in awhile. I've managed a few times to get a few youtuber's to do a free trial version of the game and play it and make videos off of it. The youtuber's typically had anywhere from a few thousand to a few hundred thousands subscribers. Video they did on Aces High maybe got 40,000 views. Some other local youtuber's like Vudu and other folk also do videos of course. Problem is they barely scratch the 1,000 view mark area.

Adding to all of that, the competition for other combat flight games isn't saturated per say, but it is fierce. With games like Warthunder, World of Warplanes, DCS, etc. Warthunder and World of Warplanes are honestly pathetic excuses of a real flight game. It caters to that audience of young kids who need to shoot down something every 10 seconds to maintain their attention span. Then there is DCS which is totally for that extreme gamer zone.
My Email is ACalex88@gmail.com if you want to contact me

"I shall fear no evil, for I am 80,000 feet and climbing"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2019, 10:20:28 AM »
Warthunder and World of Warplanes are honestly pathetic excuses of a real flight game. It caters to that audience of young kids who need to shoot down something every 10 seconds to maintain their attention span.

From my experience, I'd guesstimate the average age of a WT player being way above the "kids" zone.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2019, 11:43:23 AM »
I know it's beating a dead horse here, but with the subscription model in today's gaming atmosphere, it just makes it incredibly difficult to get more people to populate the arena. This game thrives off people being in the MA. The more in the MA, the better the fights. The more sign up. When 2 weekers don't subscribe, they will dissapear and never populate the arena again. Now, I do like how there is a free trial. I did not buy IL2 (yet) because I cannot try out the game. Not going to spend $60 upfront for a game that probably isn't as good as AH with a world map. 

I certainly wish someone would open a FFA or Team Death Match in the custom arena on the weekends and evenings during the day. The match play just has too much going on and it's not very exciting fighting a WW1 plane that trails your 6 every fight, or you get ganged by planes flying beyond their capacity. The Match play still IMO, needs an entire revamp for close action quick fights. AH has not succeeded with a quick action arena because they are just too complex and complicated.

Also, I believe when everyone in a 25 miles radius flies the easiest planes. It makes it strenuous to stick around and always chase pansies in there uber rides. Too many easy planes has created timid gameplay and many players just don't have the time for that. This game takes a while to find and get kills, so always chasing runners gets old for some people when they don't have a lot of time to play.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2019, 11:57:33 AM »

I asked my 25 year old son some questions about online gaming when I was there at his house for a visit a couple weeks back.
We discussed Aces High and the dropping numbers, what appeals to the players there vs potential new subscribers.
Not gonna relay verbatim what his opinion and viewpoint was, just a summary......mind you, this is a young man that plays for hours, and hours, on end on his console (XBox One) and his desktop.
The games he gets into, and his group of friends his age, are one that take a minimum of "learning".  He remembers being at home as a teenager and trying to fly in AH, and the learning curve to be good wasn't "fun" and what he looked for in a game, or looks for now.
The games he plays are ones where he can spawn in and be taken to the action.  He selects the mission he is interested in, a group of teammates (many times folks he doesn't even know, which is weird to me), waits for the game to start, then they are transported or moved to an area of action.  Kill or explore to their hearts' content til the timer runs out, see who won, rinse and repeat.
Is he typical of players that age?  I don't know
I feel that AH and other dedicated purist flight/combat sims are more of a niche market than ever, and older players such as myself (53 years old) are moving on because of lack of interest, new real life issues or challenges.......or just because it's not as fun as we remember it being.
Times, and life, have moved on a lot since AH first came out.  I will continue to play as long as I am able, when I am home from these jobs, until HiTech either comes up with something different or he pulls the plug.

Just trivial input.................

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2019, 12:01:50 PM »
I know it's beating a dead horse here, but with the subscription model in today's gaming atmosphere, it just makes it incredibly difficult to get more people to populate the arena. This game thrives off people being in the MA. The more in the MA, the better the fights. The more sign up. When 2 weekers don't subscribe, they will dissapear and never populate the arena again. Now, I do like how there is a free trial. I did not buy IL2 (yet) because I cannot try out the game. Not going to spend $60 upfront for a game that probably isn't as good as AH with a world map. 

I certainly wish someone would open a FFA or Team Death Match in the custom arena on the weekends and evenings during the day. The match play just has too much going on and it's not very exciting fighting a WW1 plane that trails your 6 every fight, or you get ganged by planes flying beyond their capacity. The Match play still IMO, needs an entire revamp for close action quick fights. AH has not succeeded with a quick action arena because they are just too complex and complicated.

Also, I believe when everyone in a 25 miles radius flies the easiest planes. It makes it strenuous to stick around and always chase pansies in there uber rides. Too many easy planes has created timid gameplay and many players just don't have the time for that. This game takes a while to find and get kills, so always chasing runners gets old for some people when they don't have a lot of time to play.

No one is going to make a FREE game that is worth playing. The makers are making money on people buying skill/magic.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2019, 03:10:09 PM »
Just had a thought whilst reading this...and over the years with the same type of posts... and this just came to me...

This is/used to be a game of mates having a bit of a laugh together ... you know...squads.... no different from the way of today except for the spawn in aspect...however the monthly subscription is I would say the stopper for most...that number is too big for most these days.... Now way back when the answer to the well it's $15 dollars a month...was yeah but that is only 50c a day..... so working on that...

some how...don't know how...but charge by the day... play aces high... only 50c for a day.... this gen has cards plugged into accounts and little increments like this confuses  them.... they think they are playing basically for free.... check this game out...it is only 50c to play.... before you know it they may have racked up 30 days.... there is no feeling of obligation due to the fact you have paid for a month.... it is under a dollar and they have no real concept of money at that lower of a pricing index.... The fact that you come in and don't have to pay for the next plane in the tier... (obviously there may be some crying about the perky planes....but we'll deal with that another time....) will be a draw card in itself.... they will think they are getting a great deal.....

Not sure if it is possible... but you log in and a pop up comes up with the last four digits of the card associated with the game/login .... do you accept.... for us that want to pay the monthly keep the same... perhaps have to offer the same thing in pop up form... and if there is any who still do it by money order.... I don't know... maybe join the 21st century hahahahaha

PS... if this came to fruition.... you may want to delete this post.... they might find it and be upset when they find out they have been duped by their own stupidity and lack of logic  hahahaha

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 03:14:09 PM by SPKmes »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2019, 07:18:22 PM »
Today's kids know very little about WWII. With all the tools at hand they just do not care about history. Games for kids today can only be popular if they are not historical and if you can buy being less vulnerable. If it takes any practice or ability, forget it.

You mean like Post Scriptum?  Battlefield V?  COD:WWII?

WWII theme is not the problem.

And the "Young'n nowadays just got no gumption like we did and just want arcade easy-mode" is also misguided.

:cheers:
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2019, 09:47:07 PM »
No one is going to make a FREE game that is worth playing. The makers are making money on people buying skill/magic.

I don't want it to be free. Just needs more promotion to get players in the game. A free spit5 would do wonders, especially to get Europeans and britians interested. You know most of them would buy a sub eventually. Filling up the arena is what creates the best fights. More fights equals more subs. It's a chain reaction.

You mean like Post Scriptum?  Battlefield V?  COD:WWII?

WWII theme is not the problem.

And the "Young'n nowadays just got no gumption like we did and just want arcade easy-mode" is also misguided.

:cheers:

Agree 100%. They just want a fight.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 09:50:39 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2019, 09:47:25 PM »
I call it like I see it. Not imagining things.
80th FS "Headhunters"