Author Topic: planes being main gunned  (Read 4626 times)

Offline wardog19

• Zinc Member
Re: planes being main gunned
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2019, 04:38:28 AM »
I main gunned quite a few aircraft that came directly towards my T-34/85.  If they were attempting bomb drop, Most would begin a shallow dive, or even better for me, level flight 1.5 -2k away, usually at or beneath my max elevation.  I just had to point and shoot when distance neared 1k using HVAP.    The closing speed between plane and my round nullified gravity.  Main gun round is a projectile no different than a bullet. 
Sometimes I would sit at end of a field and even brought down a few by HE 'ground splash' as they attempted take-off/landing.
Although it's been 6yrs since I've played, I find it interesting that same argument about it exists.  Irregardless of happening in WWII or ever in real life, realize that a very large projectile fired from main gun suddenly occupying same space as an aircraft will result in catastrophic end for said aircraft!

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2019, 07:36:53 AM »
I main gunned quite a few aircraft that came directly towards my T-34/85.  If they were attempting bomb drop, Most would begin a shallow dive, or even better for me, level flight 1.5 -2k away, usually at or beneath my max elevation.  I just had to point and shoot when distance neared 1k using HVAP.    The closing speed between plane and my round nullified gravity.  Main gun round is a projectile no different than a bullet. 
Sometimes I would sit at end of a field and even brought down a few by HE 'ground splash' as they attempted take-off/landing.
Although it's been 6yrs since I've played, I find it interesting that same argument about it exists.  Irregardless of happening in WWII or ever in real life, realize that a very large projectile fired from main gun suddenly occupying same space as an aircraft will result in catastrophic end for said aircraft!

6 yrs? Come on back! Just curious what made you leave since clearly by visiting the bbs you must have enjoyed the game back in the day.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2019, 11:31:35 AM »
Snip
Although it's been 6yrs since I've played, I find it interesting that same argument about it exists.  Irregardless of happening in WWII or ever in real life, realize that a very large projectile fired from main gun suddenly occupying same space as an aircraft will result in catastrophic end for said aircraft! Snip

Did you even play a year?  I just noticed your join date.... at least for the BBS.

I agree with your point.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2019, 08:57:42 PM »
At least they modeled the tanks as they were in WWII with the big red holographic I.D. and distance proximity glowing directly overhead

Not to aircraft, I haven't seen a GV on the ground in over 5 years.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline wardog19

• Zinc Member
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2019, 09:06:28 PM »
6 yrs? Come on back! Just curious what made you leave since clearly by visiting the bbs you must have enjoyed the game back in the day.

Yes, I enjoyed the game very much.  Unfortunately some real life things and a career change impacted my free time.  A few months ago I started visiting bbs to get a an idea of what I've been missing.  Hoping to start playing soon as I'm attempting a computer build.

Offline wardog19

• Zinc Member
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2019, 09:30:13 PM »
Did you even play a year?  I just noticed your join date.... at least for the BBS.

I agree with your point.
I believe it was just about a year playing. I had a generic twisty stick so I spent a good deal of time and became proficient in GV's as I wasn't much of a pilot and possibly fell prey to you a few times.   :salute

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2019, 10:18:19 PM »
I believe it was just about a year playing. I had a generic twisty stick so I spent a good deal of time and became proficient in GV's as I wasn't much of a pilot and possibly fell prey to you a few times.   :salute

Heck I fall prey to me some times  :rofl

In any case family and real life are most important. If you do get a chance to return... you would be most welcomed.  :salute

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2019, 10:31:55 PM »
The modeling of the game, it used to be that if the tank fired an HE round into the ground right next to the tank, right as the plane flew over, it would kill the plane. HiTech fixed that anomaly. If I remember correctly.

As for real world, I remember reading the story of a P-51D pilot being shot down by a German tank late 1944. It's the only such event I've ever been aware of.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2019, 02:20:06 PM »
I was able to Shoot down a P-47 trying to dive bomb my panther from at least 10k up. Tankers that have exceptional aim have learned to lead. It is no different from using Wirb or Osti. I fired off one round; missed by a bit and 2nd round poofed him. Learn not to fly in a straight line; it is no different then how you fly around Flak. As for shooting down a P-47; that was pure luck and I was on a hill so I could elevate my barrel straight up. Only a dozen or so tankers in my time were able to pick off planes with ease. I can imagine there are quite a few less now.

If you are crying about it now; you should of seen one of the squads in the early 2000s; all they did was Tank. More often then not I was shot down by an Osti and I wasn't even 5k near them. I learned to change tactics quick then.
JG 52

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2019, 05:04:54 PM »
 I'm not crying about it, I'm just saying in real like it would be nearly  imposable. I'll go as far as to say, several years ago I wiped out a formation of in the air B 24's, with a salvo from  the 8" guns on a cruiser.

Offline wardog19

• Zinc Member
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2019, 06:51:07 AM »
I'm not crying about it, I'm just saying in real like it would be nearly  imposable. I'll go as far as to say, several years ago I wiped out a formation of in the air B 24's, with a salvo from  the 8" guns on a cruiser.

I'm not looking to offend..and With all due respect, I must point out the contradiction, and to a degree the hypocrisy, in what you've said.   By your assessment, An aircraft being main gunned by a tank is nearly impossible in real life, during WWII was not documented or can be legitimately verified and so therefore should not happen in game..
 yet intentionally using the 8" MAIN GUNS on a Cruiser wiping out B-24's in formation(or any aircraft) doesn't seem to be either.

I must say, though, that your admission brings into focus that a projectile fired from the main guns-whether tank or ship- can destroy aircraft in this Game. Apparently though it only seems unrealistically unfair to some pilots of said aircraft.  I thought as much when first time it happened to me,  then I calmed down and looked at issue rationally.
 i.e.
As in real life, all it takes is for the paths of a projectile and an aircraft to coincide :old: 

Just an observation and viewpoint.  Shilo- I stated in the beginning I wasn't looking to offend..hopefully I haven't.  Or any one else.  I look to have my computer up and running by next weekend, subscribing, and have the honor of playing the game again with everyone :salute  :joystick:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 06:54:03 AM by wardog19 »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2019, 08:22:14 AM »
Yeehaw more Texans.  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2019, 01:23:01 AM »
People that think shooting down a plane with a tank's main gun is unrealistic should read Tigers In The Mud.  Afterwards read Stuka Ace in which Rudel attributes the loss of his wingman to a T-34's main gun.

Just because it didn't happen often doesn't mean it is an unrealistic aspect of the game.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2019, 08:03:06 AM »
People that think shooting down a plane with a tank's main gun is unrealistic should read Tigers In The Mud.  Afterwards read Stuka Ace in which Rudel attributes the loss of his wingman to a T-34's main gun.

Just because it didn't happen often doesn't mean it is an unrealistic aspect of the game.

Just very gamey. I main gunner like 5 planes earlier this week in one sortie.
But I have learned in this game. If you want to fight planes up a gv. If you want to fight gvs up a plane. So I imagine as much as the gvers have to deal with planes that would rather fight gvs they get real good at it. 

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2019, 08:19:14 AM »
One avid tanker in this game will fire many more rounds than any tanker in real life.
80th FS "Headhunters"