Author Topic: planes being main gunned  (Read 4614 times)

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
Re: planes being main gunned
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2019, 01:07:10 PM »
I am not offended sir, I am saying I knocked down some B-24's with 8" guns. I was  just shooting at them and did not think I would hit them, but you know the old saying "even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while".  My complaint is people do it regularly. I can see I am over whelmed by opposition on the subject, so I yield.

Offline wardog19

• Zinc Member
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2019, 01:02:21 AM »
I am not offended sir, I am saying I knocked down some B-24's with 8" guns. I was  just shooting at them and did not think I would hit them, but you know the old saying "even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while".  My complaint is people do it regularly. I can see I am over whelmed by opposition on the subject, so I yield.

That blind hog statement is very relevant to aircraft and artillery projectiles.  During close air support, if artillery was also being used against a target(s), Forward Air Controllers had to coordinate with artillery batteries(Land or ship based) stopping artillery during bombing/strafing runs. No pilot/aircrew wants to share airspace, much less, have a mid-air collision with those practically invisible projectiles.  Not an option concerning enemy projectiles though.
If you consider the sparse or non existent anti-air weapons on a tank when Concerning people doing it regularly, I don't blame them if they have the skill and opportunity. 
As for anyone calling it 'gamey',  consider that in war and combat,adaptions can be made to strategies,tactics, equipment,weapons, etc..  as are in game...  It's an adaption to tanks defense and sometimes It's effective. 

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2019, 03:04:18 AM »
That blind hog statement is very relevant to aircraft and artillery projectiles.  During close air support, if artillery was also being used against a target(s), Forward Air Controllers had to coordinate with artillery batteries(Land or ship based) stopping artillery during bombing/strafing runs. No pilot/aircrew wants to share airspace, much less, have a mid-air collision with those practically invisible projectiles.  Not an option concerning enemy projectiles though.
If you consider the sparse or non existent anti-air weapons on a tank when Concerning people doing it regularly, I don't blame them if they have the skill and opportunity. 
As for anyone calling it 'gamey',  consider that in war and combat,adaptions can be made to strategies,tactics, equipment,weapons, etc..  as are in game...  It's an adaption to tanks defense and sometimes It's effective.

Interesting that you mentioned how FACs will make the airspace is clear by coordinating with the artillery batteries.  There is a photo from the Vietnam War of an Australian air force cargo plane being shot down by an artillery gun.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2019, 03:11:06 PM »
Just very gamey. I main gunner like 5 planes earlier this week in one sortie.
But I have learned in this game. If you want to fight planes up a gv. If you want to fight gvs up a plane. So I imagine as much as the gvers have to deal with planes that would rather fight gvs they get real good at it. 

Know how simple it is to up a P-38 with pair of 1k eggs and climb to 5k to bomb a GV? The GV has zero percent chance to shoot back unless there is a Wirb/Osti whose a decent shot laying in waiting. That being said you simply climb above 7k and S split the Egg on them. In one tour I remember I had far more deaths from Eggs then I did tanks. Its just a fact that planes are easier to handle and not everyone likes GV's. I just happened to get extremely good at it.

As far as shooting down planes; I might of had three dozen kills in many tours; that's it - per 1000 Deaths by Eggs and as many from Tanks. If you compare the numbers, getting a lucky shot off and nailing a plane was blind luck and revenge considering I spent more time being bombed then not.
JG 52

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2019, 04:23:05 PM »
Know how simple it is to up a P-38 with pair of 1k eggs and climb to 5k to bomb a GV? The GV has zero percent chance to shoot back unless there is a Wirb/Osti whose a decent shot laying in waiting. That being said you simply climb above 7k and S split the Egg on them. In one tour I remember I had far more deaths from Eggs then I did tanks. Its just a fact that planes are easier to handle and not everyone likes GV's. I just happened to get extremely good at it.

As far as shooting down planes; I might of had three dozen kills in many tours; that's it - per 1000 Deaths by Eggs and as many from Tanks. If you compare the numbers, getting a lucky shot off and nailing a plane was blind luck and revenge considering I spent more time being bombed then not.

I generally try to leave the gvs alone if they have air cover. I fight their air cover. If a wirb shoots me while fighting the air cover.... I switch to bombing anything that moves.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2019, 04:58:49 PM »
I generally try to leave the gvs alone if they have air cover. I fight their air cover. If a wirb shoots me while fighting the air cover.... I switch to bombing anything that moves.
:aok Same! Thus the Spitfar 16(trainer) :rofl Has 3 Bombs and can get up and duke it out if Air shows up. At least its "more Sporting" using smaller bombs. The Spit is my GV of choice...VR sucks when in a Tank so I GV from 5k.  :devil Once you get good at it...you have a lot more Pen Pals in game  :aok
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2019, 10:30:12 PM »
LOL

I am still waiting for a twin engined tank too.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Litjan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2019, 02:03:00 AM »
I am currently reading Rudel´s book on his WW2 flying again and he mentioned loosing a JU87 aircrew "probably to a stray tank maingun shell". So it obviously wasn´t unheard of.

In addition - when I was in the Army and taking part in Reforger ´90 as part of a field artillery outfit we had to coordinate firemissions with friendly helicopters because they were obviously worried about flying through the shell´s path. (This was only simulated, much of Reforger 90 was already "played out on computers").

And reading the book "Chickenhawk" on Vietnam helicopter flying I also remember a passage where the artillery stopped firing for a few seconds as helicopters came in for resupply.

I regularly (as in "almost always") got hit in AH by main guns when attacking tanks at a shallow angle. I agree that it "feels" that this is happening too much. Just like I feel that the gunnery skill of all these 20+ years of AH veterans exceeds the gunnery skill of the average WW2 tank gunner by a factor of 100 or more. I don´t drive tanks in AH anymore as a result. I don´t stand a snowballs chance in hell against most of those that do.

Jan

Offline diaster

• Copper Member
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2019, 04:33:20 PM »
the crux of it is this. You can main gun from the turret top, tyfoo's bread and butter. Eliminate that, it gets more realistic and extremely hard to see a plane, unless you know right where to look, much less track and shoot it. I think the Main gun should be fired through the main gun sight only. use the cupola view for driving. Lots of that dot painted on the screen shooting on the fly goes away and it becoms more like a sim and less like a 3rd person shooter.
"Harden The F_ck Up”

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2019, 04:49:55 PM »
Where have you been Butcher? Long time no see.  :salute

Main gunning planes is easy when they come in low. IL-2's and B-25's often come in really low. They go boom.  :D

If a plane stays up above the maximum upward tilt of the tank's turret they are completely safe. The pilots that come in
low always buy the farm. Remember: The T-34/76 and T-34/85 can point the turret up higher than the other tanks.

My two cents.

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2019, 05:13:01 PM »
The better ones let you make your hi angle run, then hit you on the way out as you work to not auger.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2019, 05:54:54 PM »
When shooting at moving targets joysticks beat hand crank wheels all day.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2019, 07:01:27 PM »
 I have a great picture on my iPad of a C 47 being whacked by a shore battery. Main gunning is simple in comparison.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2019, 11:33:32 AM »
I have a great picture on my iPad of a C 47 being whacked by a shore battery. Main gunning is simple in comparison.

I would like to see that. Can you post it?
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2019, 05:19:46 PM »
Here is that photo I mentioned of a C-7A being shot down by an artillery gun.

"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song