Author Topic: Can you work up High?  (Read 697 times)

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
Can you work up High?
« on: September 30, 2019, 04:00:28 PM »
I was out of work so I went by the union hall.  The business agent had known me for years.  He told me that they were framing a school nearby and they needed framers.  So I preceded over to the school .  I started talking too the superintendent who was younger than me .  And he asked me my qualifications, I told him I had done a lot of framing, worked on bridges, dams and ran crews.  So when he asked me if I could work up high I asked him how high?  And he told me 25 feet and I couldn't help but laugh and say that's not high.  I could see by the look on his face that the height bothered him.

That must have been the wrong answer because I didn't get the job. :neener:
AkCaine

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Can you work up High?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 04:55:05 PM »
I was out of work so I went by the union hall.  The business agent had known me for years.  He told me that they were framing a school nearby and they needed framers.  So I preceded over to the school .  I started talking too the superintendent who was younger than me .  And he asked me my qualifications, I told him I had done a lot of framing, worked on bridges, dams and ran crews.  So when he asked me if I could work up high I asked him how high?  And he told me 25 feet and I couldn't help but laugh and say that's not high.  I could see by the look on his face that the height bothered him.

That must have been the wrong answer because I didn't get the job. :neener:

LOL Unions
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 07:50:50 PM »
LOL Unions

First I admit to being a long time Union member -ALPA.

I wonder if you ever considered a Union's benefit to groups of people doing the same job? Maybe stop an unscrupulous boss from giving your job to his nephew - Maybe stop that same boss from allowing someone to underbid your paycheck for you job?

Food for thought.... just because another's person's point of view differs from yours does not make them wrong.. or you.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 09:16:47 PM »

I wonder if you ever considered a Union's benefit to groups of people doing the same job? Maybe stop an unscrupulous boss from giving your job to his nephew - Maybe stop that same boss from allowing someone to underbid your paycheck for you job?

Food for thought.... just because another's person's point of view differs from yours does not make them wrong.. or you.

My personal experiences working with union members of plants as an outside contractor is that the union is raping and pillaging the plants. At one plant employees would get a full hour of OT pay if they had to stay 15 minutes late. They also get 15 minute breaks all the time and when that time came tools hit the ground and the workers disappeared. They always took longer than 15 minutes and of coarse I'm still working because I'm trying to get my job done.  So while I am trying to get my job done and gtfo of there, the union guys throw out the anchor and turn a short job into a long job so they can collect their free money. They didn't give a toejam that I had a seven hour drive home so getting done quickly and efficiently was in my best interest. Finishing up quickly also saved the plant money in labor costs for myself. The workers don't care about anything but themselves.  Another union worker at another plant told me to my face, "I ain't helping no Golly-geen contractor" when I asked if the shop had a torch I could use to complete a simple repair that they couldn't seem to do themselves (which is why I was called in.) The unions I have had the unfortunate pleasure of dealing with have all been drains on the facilities and it is no wonder why the facilities were contemplating shutting down for a while to break free from the unions.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 09:33:36 PM »

Companies can't survive long if they do not hire good workers. Simple as that. The only thing unions did was to stop kids from working and to set hours. That was long ago and is now standard by government.

Unions are past their prime. I was in a union once. Thank God I live in a free country and not a northern state.

Product from union companies here are sub par from the good companies.

BTW if someone can do your job and do quality work and do it less expensively..... you are overpaid. Doing work most efficiently helps the company, the employees, the customers..... which many times may include your own family. Unions waste time and money. They help lazy people and that is it. If you are a hard worker, you can make it anywhere.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 09:40:48 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 09:41:28 AM »
Companies can't survive long if they do not hire good workers. Simple as that. The only thing unions did was to stop kids from working and to set hours. That was long ago and is now standard by government.

Unions are past their prime. I was in a union once. Thank God I live in a free country and not a northern state.

Product from union companies here are sub par from the good companies.

BTW if someone can do your job and do quality work and do it less expensively..... you are overpaid. Doing work most efficiently helps the company, the employees, the customers..... which many times may include your own family. Unions waste time and money. They help lazy people and that is it. If you are a hard worker, you can make it anywhere.

I can't understand this form of judgement.

"Product from union companies here are sub par from the good companies." So the Chevy that was historically made in Detroit are sub par to the cars coming out of Mexico because a union member built it?

To believe that the only accomplishment of unions is the elimination of child labor makes more of a statement about the type of people who run companies that it does about the workers.

I can assure you from personal experience over 37 years that ALPA (a Union) has done far more than any management has ever done to advance Air Transport safety.

Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 10:31:57 AM »
I can't understand this form of judgement.

"Product from union companies here are sub par from the good companies." So the Chevy that was historically made in Detroit are sub par to the cars coming out of Mexico because a union member built it?

To believe that the only accomplishment of unions is the elimination of child labor makes more of a statement about the type of people who run companies that it does about the workers.

I can assure you from personal experience over 37 years that ALPA (a Union) has done far more than any management has ever done to advance Air Transport safety.
It doesn't mean all union work is sub par. My point is all union work is no better or worse than non-union. The people in non-union shops all work together. Less deadbeats just on for the ride.

The shops I have seen work out of down here were obviously sub par. They just happened to be union shops.
80th FS "Headhunters"