Author Topic: Thoughts.  (Read 23161 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Thoughts.
« on: October 01, 2019, 12:16:35 PM »
I am considering requiring a Login ID to do anything in AH including offline play.

I.E. At game start you must log in/create an account.
This would allow me to do things like force training missions on users and track their progress.

I believe almost all games that have an online component now work that way correct?

What are peoples thoughts.

HiTech

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 12:39:47 PM »
A personally tailored obligatory tutorial? Sounds like a good idea! Please make a short enough version for returning players though.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 12:44:19 PM »
Forcing them into training may be the only way. I can't say anything about other games..... I have only played AH for 20+ years.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Razorbak

• persona non grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 12:57:28 PM »
AN arena for newbs only up to a certain score imo would be best, but with the low player counts there may not be enough players for that.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 01:02:05 PM »
I am considering requiring a Login ID to do anything in AH including offline play.

This would allow me to do things like force training missions on users and track their progress.

I believe almost all games that have an online component now work that way correct?

HiTech

My thoughts:

Is the goal to screen for new players only?

If it's to catch new players only, and insure they get some training, that would be good even if they want to try it out offline. A YouTube video or at least a link to a controller setup text file they can download and print would be helpful.

* Would you like to download a printable text file of instructions for setting up your controllers and keyboard?
* Would you like to view a list of helpful YouTube videos?
* Would you like to schedule a lesson with a volunteer trainer?

Any in-game web pages should use a link to an AH Home page accessible page imo.

I certainly don't want to type in my login info each time I need to test a terrain offline.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 01:04:08 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 01:21:20 PM »
What does a logon for offline play accomplish?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 01:29:13 PM »

I'll do some testing with Battlefield.  It's hard to know since that Origin sorta auto-logs in.  I'd be shocked (perhaps annoyed) if I couldn't play the offline campaign without active internet.  Easy to test. ;o)  Of course the difference is that is a product I've bought.

I think stuff like Steam games use an aged-cache system so for some period of time I could run the game offline without phoning-home.  Maybe you can work 3-days disconnected without needing to touch base again?  Sometimes I take my laptop out to the boonies to some property.  I don't always have internet there.  I couldn't work on terrains or missions?  Couldn't run the terrain to see how custom objects look in game?

I'm a little concerned that would lose you some casual visitors.  some might be put off by having to hand over information email and stuff before even trying a game offline?  I guess if you were using a aged-cache, they could toy with it for 3 days before being forced to create an account?

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 01:46:18 PM »
What does a logon for offline play accomplish?

It lets you progress in the missions while offline. I don't think it means you have to be online. Just that the game knows who is playing offline instead of SERVER playing.

I certainly don't want to type in my login info each time I need to test a terrain offline.

You can save the login info.

Some things like controller setup can be done with video. Other things like take off and landing make good pass/fail missions that provide opportunities to request training.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 01:51:55 PM »
Are you are going to do something similar to War Thunder's "offline" mode?  By that, you still have to log in, but they have a basic as spork campaign type thing where you shoot a bunch of bots in a series of mission types you can choose from.  The only problem with their setup is you can only use what you've researched and bought so far, so no late war stuff unless you actually have something in that time period, which a new player would not from the start.  It also has an extremely basic research gain that only lasts for the first mission or two, which would equate to like 5-10 perks here.  It's mostly there for kicks or if you just want to shoot a bunch of stuff without the hassle one tends to run into in their online modes.  I got tired of my G5N being intercepted by early F-86's and the occasional MiG-15 in main battle-modes...

In AH's case, a set of training missions with a few "offline missions" they can choose from after they've completed the training missions.  Fighter Sweep, Intercept, Ground Attack, Naval Attack, Level Bombing.  Each are pretty self explanatory and they can choose what to use, loadout's, etc.  Maybe have them successfully complete each before allowing them into the arena's?  No Air Spawning though for these missions though.  They may take this as the standard for the MA, and when they go there and find out this isn't true, well...bad juju.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 02:10:38 PM »
We already login with an ID to the game most every night.  Sure.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 02:18:46 PM »

HiTech

You need a built-in tutorial that can be toggled on or off in the tower.    Making it mandatory isn't the solution but making it available is. 

An overlay with arrows that point to what things do is a start, particularly the chat bar and controls (to include guns, throttle, etc.).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 03:50:44 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 02:47:34 PM »

HiTech

As I think I have stated before, the training arena should allow kills as it use to but only allow
those in with a cap on their overall rating
Of course the shaders will get around that requirement but I think monitors will
recognize them
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2019, 03:28:09 PM »
What I'd suggest is force the account, but have the credit card optional if they aren't subscribing.  That's what I've seen in most other games.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 03:56:02 PM »
I don't think it would hurt. Anything to allow new players top hop in and learn the game without having to be in the MA.

What I think would really help new players as well is, having a "New U" arena on a small map similar to the old H2H maps, where only 2 weekers are allowed + official AH trainers who can be in the arena to assist with questions.

This would allow new users to practice with other newbies in a smaller environment that would help them to get into action more quickly.

One of Sam's issues was flying 15 min to a base, only to did in 3 seconds. This is a big problem for many newbs who just don't have the time to learn this way.

A "newU arena on a small map would allow players to still have the "online" feel, but also give them a chance to practice on a smaller scale. That is something that really helped me in H2H. The global map really is just too big for most newbies and can be very time consuming when they don't have clue as to what to do.

What I'd suggest is force the account, but have the credit card optional if they aren't subscribing.  That's what I've seen in most other games.

Wiley.

This

You need a built-in tutorial that can be toggled on or off in the tower.    Making it mandatory isn't the solution but making it available is. 

An overlay with arrows that point to what things do is a start, particularly the chat bar and controls (to include guns, throttle, etc.).

This

A guide to setting up their stick axises or mouses would go a long way.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 04:03:35 PM »

Wiley.

It would simply be the email address. Also steam on Oculus user already are logged in.

Currently to create an account via HTC you simply provide an email and password, then verify the email with a returned code.

A check box could also be added to simply auto log in at start. (Saves one mouse click)

HiTech