Author Topic: Thoughts.  (Read 22467 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Thoughts.
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2019, 01:42:30 AM »
Planetside 2 has a training tutorial that you have to go through or it doesnt let you in the arenas.

I liked the idea as I worked my way through it to figure out how things work, but a number of guys I know just want to blow through it and get to the game. So its good and bad. From a customers side Id say it going to be a 50-50 thing. From a business side it sound like another good way to collect data, if that data is needed.

I tried that tutorial.  it's supposed to be 15 minutes took me 25.  then I was on the wrong side so I had to do it again.  took me an hour and a half after several tries trying to remember where the damn gv computer was, that was frustrating as hell.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2019, 01:49:35 AM »
I've noticed that most of the games on Oculus have tutorials built in. When I've been away from a game for awhile, I restart the tutorial to remember what controller does what. It's pretty handy for someone like me that rarely gets to play.
:aok DCS has Training Missions for just about every Plane and most uses of Plane...Start up,Taking Off,Landing, Gunnery,Advanced Navigation, Weapon Utilization, ETC. Its a Pause and start again..through them. I use them quite often, as I sometimes forget mappings from Plane To Plane...and time away. They are optional...but I am the type that knows my "short comings" so using these isnt a hit to my ego.  ANYTHING at all to get new players hooked...I am ALL FOR IT  :rock
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2019, 05:58:04 AM »
Some online arena games have a single-player “academy” where you do a set of missions that reward you with game-money or XP for the main arenas. In AH case the rewards will be perk points.

These missions are single-player but not off-line because you have to be logged into the game servers and they handle the AI. For your FE the academy is like the arena, except you are the only player and the server controls AI that is usually played by the other players.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2019, 07:07:39 AM »
I think it would be fine to allow a login for both online and offline play and adding short to the point training missions would be fantastic as it would not required the player to leave the game to get familiar with the clipboard and basics to get wheels up, turn a bit and hopefully wheels down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2019, 09:15:29 AM »
His main issue was he thought he was top 10 in the world but was actually just another noob. He spent most of his time telling everyone how good he was.....

Training will not help someone who thinks they are the best there is. He blamed the game for his lack of training yet he was not interested in learning anything.

Nonsense. He has been very clear that he was good in a different game and is a newbie with ambitions in Aces High. Like most players he thinks he knows what he needs to learn.

Offline Rebel28

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2019, 10:11:25 AM »
I would suggest that your login be saved locally for 2-3 days like some other sims. This is for if your internet goes down you can still play offline. Or if no internet is available there is an option for offline mode to bypass login.
4th Fighter Group
~ The Gunslingers ~

Offline Razorbak

• persona non grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2019, 10:22:47 AM »
The issue with the game isn't the lack of training or if you change it to include more training, our problem is low player counts. I am definitely not a marketing person and wouldn't know what to suggest to get the numbers up.From what i have read folks dont like the static they catch from the typewriter fighters.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2019, 10:34:09 AM »
No idea on other computer games as the only other thing I do is a puzzle, Sudoku.

You had to go through some kind of training to climb into a fighter or bomber, or even a jeep, during the real war, yea its NOT real but the principal holds I think, There is a level of skill required to fly or play the game. Having some direction to get a new player that skill level can only be good. Doubt they want to pay $15 just to train so that issue needs fication from clara.
Discount while training, if you keep training you earn a discount on monthly cost for as long as you train, have to test or determine skill level for advancement, just a few items for clara.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2019, 10:40:08 AM »
The issue with the game isn't the lack of training or if you change it to include more training, our problem is low player counts. I am definitely not a marketing person and wouldn't know what to suggest to get the numbers up.From what i have read folks dont like the static they catch from the typewriter fighters.

The point of the training is increased players by preparing newbies with some basics so they stay with AH instead of trying something easier.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2019, 10:52:11 AM »

Marketing is a very broad term which includes how a game is presented , produced and what type of player it is geared towards.

There are primarily 4 steps in the Marketing of a game.

1. Get a person to know about your product.
2. Get a user to download and try your product.
3. Get a user to pay for your product.
4. Keep the user paying for your product.

All 4 steps must be subjected to cost benefit analyses. What this thread is about is primarily step 3. And a little of step 2.

HiTech

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2019, 10:54:05 AM »
 If I am already an experienced simmer and the tutorial took too long and/or was dreadfully boring, I would uninstall it and never come back.

My thoughts exactly.

Offline Razorbak

• persona non grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2019, 10:55:39 AM »
The point of the training is increased players by preparing newbies with some basics so they stay with AH instead of trying something easier.
[/quote

IMO if you look at the old air warrior they had an arena for newbs only till you got a certain score but if you dont get the numbers up an increased training regime wont help. Have you folks thought about trying a world of tank model where the game is free to play but you have to buy things as you go, just a suggestion and trying to help.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2019, 11:38:58 AM »
[
 Have you folks thought about trying a world of tank model where the game is free to play but you have to buy things as you go, just a suggestion and trying to help.

Yep created an entire new game War Online Pacific to try out that model.

HiTech

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2019, 11:43:25 AM »
I tried that tutorial.  it's supposed to be 15 minutes took me 25.  then I was on the wrong side so I had to do it again.  took me an hour and a half after several tries trying to remember where the damn gv computer was, that was frustrating as hell.

semp

A little back ground in defense of semp's first experience with PlanetSide 2.

POTW as a squad decided to check it out recently. They have a forced tutorial which can be confusing since their tutorial arena limit's your vision, the horizon and ceiling is capped with a net mesh, and your ears are constantly overloaded with music and sound effects. That is a targeted demographics give away. It's a good representation of combat in the game though, and combat is visually and auditory max overload. I went through the tutorial in 15 min then got setup on the correct continent in the pig's local squad on that continent. Then for the first week, hours of spawn then die, spawn then die, spawn then die. All the bad arse piggies from AH3, sucked while we started figuring out how to not suck. At least in PS2 your keyboard and mouse let you instantly jump into action and kill a few things, while running around is learning the strategy's of not running around like a lame newbie giving away kills. AH3, you have to learn how to fly, then learn ACM, then maybe get a kill on a vet who went afk. In PS2 they have flying, if you can figure out how to fly a Harrier where the wings are replaced with directional jets and you cannot do straffing runs. I'm still learning how to hover and put the pipper on one point to unload my my gun into a target. And landing, you land like using a VTOL and you cannot see down between your legs. So semp got information and sensory overload which many FPS games are defined by.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2019, 11:59:45 AM »
There are a lot of games now that force you through 'training' before allowing you to play the actual game. It's not a bad idea - to force new players into the training modules first before being allowed to fly.

It's actually a great idea Hitech.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech