Author Topic: Reward effort not just success  (Read 2460 times)

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
Reward effort not just success
« on: October 10, 2019, 05:43:47 AM »
Hi,

I posted something along these lines a while ago however people got all bent out of shape with assumptions and misunderstanding so I am going to try again.

I think it would be a good idea to award score for effort and not just success.  Let me give you an example:

Player 1 hammers player 2.  Player 3 comes in and does critical damage and is awarded the kill.  Player 1 gets nothing.   wooohooo as player 1 I really want to do that again.

Take a look at the system in play in World of Warships.  Emulate that IMO

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Reward effort not just success
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 07:35:15 AM »
You get an assist and practice to do better next time.

I have no idea about the other game. I found it too boring to stay.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 08:01:25 AM »
You should earn medals of some kind that get placed in your Shadow Box in the Hangar/O'Club.  Or credit toward a medal later.   It needs to be more obvious that the current achievements system progress.   Maybe a handshake image from your CO saying  well done after you land and a note saying what you've accomplished.  This will happen frequently for noobs, less so for vets.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 08:08:53 AM »
It could start when you log on. "Good job logging on, you're awesome!" and go from there...   :D

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 09:40:40 AM »
It could start when you log on. "Good job logging on, you're awesome!" and go from there...   :D

:rofl :rofl :rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 12:40:33 PM »
I think it's something people have been trained by most other games to expect.  They see something to show "Progress" even though at the end of the day, it just means you've put in time.

One of the things that I think doesn't help this game is people don't have anything to "work towards" other than getting better at the game itself.  There's no "progression" to better equipment or cosmetics, we get everything.  The achievements don't provide a tangible benefit.  Some see that as a good thing, I think some people see it as a detriment.

I think there's a very prevalent attitude that no visible/tangible progression means there's no "game".

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 02:05:20 PM »
I think it's something people have been trained by most other games to expect.  They see something to show "Progress" even though at the end of the day, it just means you've put in time.

One of the things that I think doesn't help this game is people don't have anything to "work towards" other than getting better at the game itself.  There's no "progression" to better equipment or cosmetics, we get everything.  The achievements don't provide a tangible benefit.  Some see that as a good thing, I think some people see it as a detriment.

I think there's a very prevalent attitude that no visible/tangible progression means there's no "game".

Wiley.

Agreed...  :salute
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 04:34:17 PM »

Wiley.

So you think it would help if people were more limited and then as they are here awhile, they get more stuff. Not sure if they would stay long enough to do so since they do not stay when they have most everything.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 04:41:58 PM »
So you think it would help if people were more limited and then as they are here awhile, they get more stuff. Not sure if they would stay long enough to do so since they do not stay when they have most everything.

It juuuust might be possible there is more than one variable involved with why people don't stick around. ;)  All I'm saying is, I don't think it's helping.

Also the relatively static planeset.  Gamers want to see "active development" which generally means new content, new planes, new skins, power creep, yadda yadda.  If they don't get it, regardless of how logical it is or not, the thought is usually "Then what am I paying a sub for?"

This ain't that kind of game, but it's what people have been trained to expect by most other games.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 04:46:16 PM »
You get an assist and practice to do better next time.

I have no idea about the other game. I found it too boring to stay.

Picture this.  A structure takes 2 bombs and 4 rockets to destroy.  I hit it with 1 bomb and 4 rockets.  The next guy hits with 1 bomb.  The target is destroyed.  I get no reward he gets reward.

So in this scenario i do not need to practice to get better, I did more damage but get nothing for it. 

Open your mind a little, there are examples of this all over the game

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 04:51:10 PM »
Picture this.  A structure takes 2 bombs and 4 rockets to destroy.  I hit it with 1 bomb and 4 rockets.  The next guy hits with 1 bomb.  The target is destroyed.  I get no reward he gets reward.

So in this scenario i do not need to practice to get better, I did more damage but get nothing for it. 

It happens a lot drop 2 bombs and rockets and squadie puts 5 bullets and gets credit.

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 04:56:28 PM »

The score calculates this information as damage. Sure, you don't get a message saying that you destroyed it, but the arena can't read it anyway so what is the point? The same goes for damage on aircraft, the game knows you did damage and that damage is translated in your score. But, you may not get the kill and therefore no name in lights. I, personally, do not feel it necessary or even beneficial to have an arena message that says "Player 1 landed successfully and damaged 3 aircraft." That seems ridiculous to me.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2019, 05:01:45 PM »
The score calculates this information as damage. Sure, you don't get a message saying that you destroyed it, but the arena can't read it anyway so what is the point? The same goes for damage on aircraft, the game knows you did damage and that damage is translated in your score. But, you may not get the kill and therefore no name in lights. I, personally, do not feel it necessary or even beneficial to have an arena message that says "Player 1 landed successfully and damaged 3 aircraft." That seems ridiculous to me.

I don't think it's so much name in lights broadcast, I think what he's talking about more is for it to show you somewhere what you did on the sortie so you can feel warm and fuzzy because the game gave you an attaboy.  Ideally, maybe have it so you could look at a guy's record over the last few sorties (or whatever) so other people could look at it and be impressed.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2019, 06:03:13 PM »
I've always thought that assists should give you some percentage of the perk points.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2019, 06:38:40 PM »

When you land a screen pops up saying, "Player X is hereby awarded a commendation for participating in the destruction of yadda yadda yadda."

Show mission stats for hits, damage, etc..

Then a mention of criteria remaining for the next medal or achievement.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)