Author Topic: Bridges  (Read 1224 times)

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
Bridges
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2001, 08:42:00 PM »
Merry Christmas Tilt

Just got home.

I've sort of been trying to put a file together to help with some of the problems that you can get while making a bridge over water.

For now! why don't you (if you can) post a snap shot here, of your Bridge in the Editor looking down (Top View), make sure you have the grid lines turned on.

If you can't Post the snap shot here you then could email the snap shot to me at   tscott@accesswave.ca

Or

Another way is just email me your .OBA file for the terrain.  
This would be the best way.

Pokie

Just something to help

Areas in white are still part of the Ground texture and can still be traveled on.  Once you pass out of this area, towards the Water texture, then you will either stop or die.  

Some tiles, like the strtaxi, will only let you travel on them when they are over the Ground texture.  Once they pass into the Water texture area then you will either stop or die when you travel on them and reach the Water section.

Here are the 3 water tiles I used to temporarily replace terr0018, terr0019 and terr0020 so you can see were the danger areas are.

http://accesswave.ca/~tscott/AH-stuff/W18-19-20.zip

Pokie

[ 12-25-2001: Message edited by: pokie ]

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Bridges
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2001, 03:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by pokie:
Merry Christmas Tilt

[ 12-25-2001: Message edited by: pokie ]

Thx pokie ......... I have just sent you a couple of mails which will I hope explain or identify my areas of ignorance.

It seems that horizontal bridge construction across a river between two co - alt land tiles is frought with hazards. (yet this is how bridges generally are)

What I now have a wish for is an object which is a basic box type girder bridge which is 2640 x 120 x 120.

4 of these will get me across a river between the mid points of adjacent tiles. To construct a similar looking arrangement would take about 100 .OBA lines using current objects.

Tilt
Ludere Vincere

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
Bridges
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2001, 03:52:00 PM »
Got them and just getting ready to check them out.

Pokie

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
Bridges
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2001, 04:12:00 PM »
Nuttz,Pokie,you guys kick ass,i can't wait  :),Salute
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Bridges
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2001, 04:15:00 PM »
steely, am i ever going to see you in h2h again?

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
Bridges
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2001, 06:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steely07:
Nuttz,Pokie,you guys kick ass,i can't wait   :),Salute

I can't take any credit here, this is Nuttzs brain child, hes done all the work.

Pokie

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Bridges
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2001, 06:34:00 PM »
hey, i started the bridge idea

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
Bridges
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2001, 07:04:00 PM »
The Bridge concept been around since the Terrain Editor has been available BenDover.

Only since, I believe the release of AcesHight game version 1.05 with the carrier did it get closer for building it.

http://www.hitechcreations.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=55&t=000135

Pokie

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: pokie ]

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Bridges
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2001, 04:27:00 PM »
Thx to Pokie for the data......

I have a handle on most of it now......... but still have one or two transitional gliches to fathom...

The above shows two bridges.....

Both are based on the RUNWAY object with inverted pylons at the high level intercise. (inverted Pylons realy help locate you directly above stuff on the editor)

On the left is a two tile bridge..its the easest to build (with double pylons it has only 8 lines on the .oba (included inverted run way sections so you can view from below)

Like the other bridge it has a 6" curb to get on and is 100'-6" at its highest.

On the right is a 3 tile bridge also using RUNWAY. I have had some real problems with this and am still unhappy. Basically I can make one sloping side and the horizontal easily however transision with the second slope is problematical.

PT boats pass under both with ease.

Use of the .oba is essential to get the co-ordinates exact to give good transisions.

I also found that writing stuff in on the .oba (creating) meddled with its properties. I got better results creating stuff in the editor then modifying its, "hardness", position and orientation in the .oba. (I made the inverted runway objects "non collide" incase they had depth)

Raising the whole thing 6" off the ground seemed to be important.

I have used hanger nets to guide the vehicles onto the bridge.

Thx for all the help so far...........

Tilt
Ludere Vincere

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
Bridges
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2001, 09:20:00 PM »
Very nice work Tilt,can't wait to see em  :)..live that is
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
Bridges
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2002, 04:33:00 PM »
I want to use Tilt's bridges because Nuttz's bridges are obviously toll bridges!  ;) J/K. They look great. Although, I would be worried about my FPS around Nuttz's bridge.

Have you guys tried combining your techniques to make a 'draw bridge'? i.e., Use a runway section for each end then either use the re-arm pads all the way across the middle or use runway in the middle with a hot rearm pad between each end and the inclines at each end to act as the 'gated' sections?

Great work so far guys!

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Bridges
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2002, 06:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by Sundog:
Have you guys tried combining your techniques to make a 'draw bridge'? i.e., Use a runway section for each end then either use the re-arm pads all the way across the middle or use runway in the middle with a hot rearm pad between each end and the inclines at each end to act as the 'gated' sections?
Great work so far guys!

From what I have learned objects cannot cross grid lines with all their properties intact(on either side). They are sensitive to ground slopes below them and even in adjacent grids on occasion.

So the runway object is stuck between grid lines. It is the same length as a grid so there is no space for other stuff unless it fills all of another grid. Having then gone to a 3 tile bridge you can orientate pylons etc to make a "look alike" tower effect in the centre.

Some one has once upon a time created these objects.

My wish would be to add a few more. one would be an object 2640 ft long that looks like a box girder bridge. (vehicles drive through it but bullets bounce off the girders and pass through the gaps)

The other object would be a simple round grey cylinder about 100 ft high and say 20 feet in diameter. We would use these to construct supporting towers.

Tilt
Ludere Vincere

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
Bridges
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2002, 01:47:00 PM »
Rgr on the objects not crossing the grid line. Are you saying that even with a sloped taxiway, that if you placed a hot re-arm pad at the end of it (Level, instead of sloped) the overall distance exceeds the one mile length of the grid those two objects would be placed in? Or are you saying the entire bridge must fit within one grid? I was thinking of having the 'line' where the two hot re-arm pads meet the 'center' section be the edge grid lines with the mile long span between.

Also, according to HiTechs reply, you will be able to add the bridge types you are seeking in the future, once they complete the object creation editor.  :)

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Bridges
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2002, 02:52:00 PM »
wot object creator,and when did he say it??

Offline Broes

• Copper Member
Bridges
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2002, 04:20:00 PM »
Bendover, HT mentioned in a thread about players making plane models for AH that this was out of the question but that he was considering players importing objects into AH editor.

Broes