Author Topic: Two sides  (Read 15550 times)

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
Re: Two sides
« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2019, 02:57:01 PM »
You are funny, passing yourself as somebody that knows why thousand quit, doesn't make it true.

As for being obtuse, well I'm not the one pushing a 2 sided arena after being told no so many times.

semp

Let's just compromise and go with a 2.5 sided arena. The  2 full sides have ENY values of 20 to even it up :)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2019, 03:12:32 PM »
You are funny, passing yourself as somebody that knows why thousand quit, doesn't make it true.

Look around you.   It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure it out.

As for being obtuse, well I'm not the one pushing a 2 sided arena after being told no so many times.

semp

I've long given up pushing for Hitech to do anything.   He's got his mind made up and it ain't changing.   Everyone knows that.   Doesn't mean I won't press the case for why I think differently even though I know it's an academic exercise. 

As noted above the root cause has been likely overlooked, and the ultimate solution remains retaining new players.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2019, 04:17:27 PM »

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.

HTC used a playing card suit spade in their company logo.

Yet, they use chess pieces for their countries.  (Which have an intrinsic value difference.  So they are saying Rooks are far more important than Bish or Knits.  :bolt: )

Yet, I've never played 3-sided chess.

Is that like 3 dimensional chess?

:D
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: December 12, 2019, 04:46:59 PM »
With today's numbers and how slow activity can bog down due to distances between feilds. Hitech can keep three sides, instead, bring out a new terrain where airfields are 13-15 miles apart. Trying to hoard a field becasue of the short range will leave a back door to being hoarded at home. Then the urge to up, climb to a billion feet as a substitute for gawd mode will require flying 30 miles and make that even more boring and lame while everyone else will be hacking and slashing 12k and lower over several sorties until the alt guwds finish climbing. 

Take a que from fjordma and the GV spawn arrangement there and things will be busy for the fans of ground and air combat. A terrain like that will be flipped over night by the late night map flipping gremlins. All three of them.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #124 on: December 12, 2019, 05:03:21 PM »
By the way since I've ventured the shorter distance between airfields.

Hitech, would you allow this for an MA map.

A shorter range of 13-15 miles as standard for airfields. Air combat would be more like the three sides Furball lake and middle of NDisles. The shorter range would bring people together faster. On a 10x10 terrain, most of the fields, say not more than 22-25 per country would be inside of a 6 sector diameter while the strats would effectively be way out in the boonies for the strat runners. About half the terrain area would be excess make work for the builder becasue of the 10x10 area. Riftval and FjordMA have a lot a make work terrain just to fill space. I doubt anyone knows there are glaciers on Oceania.

From my 4 terrains since AH3 went live, I think shortening the field distances to 13-15 miles would help promote more air combat activity in the MA. The faster turn around would hold attention spans longer. That is why I shortened the GV spawns on FjordMA and placed a short spawn from the field out to meet the incoming spawns. That generates a lot of GV combat while most airfields on FjordMA are 19 miles. That experiment plus the flack bases on the Pizza map having all aircraft enabled and 15 miles from A30 validate my assumption about how much activity will be generated.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: December 12, 2019, 06:17:53 PM »
Shortening the distances will not solve the issue in my opinion when the number of bases still outnumber the total number of players online at peak times.   I understand the logic though.   

There are just too danged many bases spread across too wide an area.   

You could cut some maps by half and they would be greatly improved by it. 

Some of the best fights are with bases just shy of radar rings touching, with water in between them.   Not entirely sure why this is the case...

”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #126 on: December 12, 2019, 06:45:23 PM »
Here is where you have always gotten this wrong while I've been able to add none standard things to test in my 4 terrains since AH3 went live.

I don't try to force him to change his game based on the delusion I know better than him like you and many others do. I take what he provides and try to do something new with that. Over time he has allowed me to make changes across 4 terrains with little changes that I use to test how players use them. Without trying to force my lack of building games experience on him, and only building terrains for his game with tests built into them. I'm pretty sure since he wants to keep three countries even now. And our smaller numbers, reducing the minimum field distance rule to 13-15 miles will result in more air combat due to the faster turn around time.

I've built 4 terrains in the three years of AH3 you have been flapping yer gums the whole time telling him you know more about his craft than he does. So until he changes AH from 3 country centrist, I've been doing tests to get more activity out of MA terrains. For all I know, enabling planes at F89 15 miles from A30 on smpizza this week was him testing the feasibility of shortening the distance between airfields. It produced a long period of air combat over A30. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #127 on: December 12, 2019, 06:49:02 PM »
Here is where you have always gotten this wrong while I've been able to add none standard things to test in my 4 terrains since AH3 went live.

I don't try to force him to change his game based on the delusion I know better than him like you and many others do. I take what he provides and try to do something new with that. Over time he has allowed me to make changes across 4 terrains with little changes that I use to test how players use them. Without trying to force my lack of building games experience on him, and only building terrains for his game with tests built into them. I'm pretty sure since he wants to keep three countries even now. And our smaller numbers, reducing the minimum field distance rule to 13-15 miles will result in more air combat due to the faster turn around time.

I've built 4 terrains in the three years of AH3 you have been flapping yer gums the whole time telling him you know more about his craft than he does. So until he changes AH from 3 country centrist, I've been doing tests to get more activity out of MA terrains. For all I know, enabling planes at F89 15 miles from A30 on smpizza this week was him testing the feasibility of shortening the distance between airfields. It produced a long period of air combat over A30.

I’ll "flap (my) gums" as you so condescendingly put it, as much as I like within the TOS until he tells me otherwise.  It’s a DISCUSSION board.   And I’ll tell you something else I know better than apparently anyone: What we have now is not working.   If it were then numbers would be rising. 

He’s not gonna change.   I don’t expect him to nor does anyone else.    Many have left expressing that very frustration.   As Dr. Phil asked, “How’s that workin’ out for ya’?”   It’s his call.  He has to live with it.   All the well-intended end-user advice goes right into the round file.    That’s fine.    It is what it is.   It’s also why I spend 99% of my time on AH skinning not flying because the latter is something I can still find enjoyment in because the restrictions are reasonable.

And no, “ALL (I) HAVE DONE” is not just chatting on here.  I’ve spent COUNTLESS HOURS creating, restoring, and updating skins for the game, things that get used EVERY SINGLE HOUR it is online.    Hell, I’ve almost singlehandedly updated the entire stable of P-51s alone. 

You’re welcome.

Shortening base distances will cause other unintended consequences that will NOT solve the problem.    If you want more LAs and YAKs running amok knock yourself out.   It won’t fix the problem one bit.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 07:19:58 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #128 on: December 12, 2019, 07:01:02 PM »
I have read that just having two sided would be good for the game.

I am on Knights for years i would opt to get rid of this side as they are on the hole rubbish in game.
LMAO
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #129 on: December 12, 2019, 07:21:14 PM »
All the well-intended end-user advice goes right into the round file.    That’s fine.    It is what it is.

Don't let Bustr troll you into saying inaccurate stuff.

It is simply not true that Hitech never listens to customer input.  He just doesn't agree on this point.  But it is his rice bowl, so it's his call in the end.  He is the one that ends up as a Walmart Greeter if it all goes pear-shaped.  (Or worse, a COBAL programmer!   :eek:)

I've always said there has been some stuff I have convinced him on, and some stuff I haven't convinced him on ...yet.  ;) 

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #130 on: December 12, 2019, 08:03:19 PM »

It is simply not true that Hitech never listens to customer input.  He just doesn't agree on this point.  But it is his rice bowl, so it's his call in the end.  He is the one that ends up as a Walmart Greeter if it all goes pear-shaped.  (Or worse, a COBAL programmer!   :eek:)

I've always said there has been some stuff I have convinced him on, and some stuff I haven't convinced him on ...yet.  ;)

I'll buy that assessment.   :cheers:
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #131 on: December 12, 2019, 08:19:07 PM »
I for one am happy that shorter base distance is being tested and implemented. When players cannot defend a field because of far distances, it creates the horde effect. Plus more people just want to hop right into the fight. If you want to grab alt and get alt, a back base is right there for you. It works much better with lower #s. The biggest problem was players flying for 10-15 minutes. Then to get ganged immediately and die. Rinse and repeat. It gets old. But, players who can jump into the fight more quickly, dont care about dying as much.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #132 on: December 12, 2019, 08:30:02 PM »
I for one am happy that shorter base distance is being tested and implemented. When players cannot defend a field because of far distances, it creates the horde effect. Plus more people just want to hop right into the fight. If you want to grab alt and get alt, a back base is right there for you. It works much better with lower #s. The biggest problem was players flying for 10-15 minutes. Then to get ganged immediately and die. Rinse and repeat. It gets old. But, players who can jump into the fight more quickly, dont care about dying as much.

To a point yes. 

But do we want maps to be one giant collection of Furball Islands?  No.

There are too many bases.

The maps are too big. 

One side can be ignored.   

Putting bases closer together doesn't by itself solve this problem.   
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #133 on: December 12, 2019, 08:41:23 PM »

COBOL  :rofl

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #134 on: December 12, 2019, 08:43:17 PM »

WBs was the EXACT SAME GAME minus ENY and we never had balance issues. 

That is a load of BS.  When I played WB (before your time), balance was a serious issue and a major source of player complaints.

You also don't have any actionable metrics that prove 2 aides will alleviate the issue of side unbalance.  You are not privy to the metrics to prove your point.  You might think 2 sides will fix things but again, you don't have the metrics to prove it.  Saying it worked in another game isn't metrics a developer will take action on.  It would be like me saying 2 sidea don't work because of my experience in playing WW20L, in which the Allied aide usually out numbered the Axis aide by a large margin that often left the Allied side no one to fight.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song