Author Topic: How To Fix The Game  (Read 7324 times)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Re: How To Fix The Game
« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2020, 03:30:02 PM »
Another concession to low numbers and the time to fight making AH3 seem very slow to younger players\potential new customers. Change the up time for maps to 4 or 6 ours so wining a map for them is a tangible accomplishment to work for. Many of our numbers\timers are scaled from the past and 400 players swarming a map. So 400 players would want the map around long enough to keep initiatives going or the illusion of that.

Today 100-120, 7 days on the same map is killing younger people with boredom. Yes they have the choice to gear up and flip the map, but, how many do we really have with us. And they will be the ones telling other young people how fast or boring our game is. The MA is the size it is becasue it is the essence of AH the game making it not the competitors game. Time is now the game's problem. All the customers are in the MA and not in WO:P or the other arenas. Time to accomplish anything is still scaled from 2007. I tested that on FjordMA with the unique way I setup GV spawns at all bases. At least the GVers were having fun becasue I scaled time to target to drop them in each others laps.

I think 2-3 days on one map is plenty. If it ain't won by then, it will drag on all week. Smaller maps get won faster, but with more smaller maps being implemented, it won't matter so much that maps get rolled more quickly.

The side switch time in the off hours 12am PST should be reduced to 3 hours at least. This may help the flow of the fights better. I think smaller maps that put people into the action would avoid too many people needing to switch.

The best maps gain the highest #s. When a good map is on during the weekends, you can really see the #s reflect it as more people stay on closer to 12am est. time.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2020, 03:32:48 PM »
Pretty much this. All games do it. If a meta develops that isn't intended to be meta, things get changed to make it no longer meta.

I think you just became a Demigod by using the word Meta three times in a single sentence.   :D
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2020, 03:35:00 PM »
I subscribed because I saw 85 people in the MA and I've seen over 100, I think it's pretty amazing.

As an experiment, measure again come May.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2020, 04:48:27 PM »
AH properly models the effect of the trim tab. There is no need to model the trim tab and the control surface separately.

Just did some more experiments. It's the pushed elevator only that's really weird. Easy to see since the stick was visually added, even when sitting on the runway. Fully pulled changes of trim do nothing to the stick position, centered the stick moves with changes if trim (weird at 0 ias, but ok), fully pushed trim moves the stick the same as when centered. Aileron and rudder do not show this asymmetry.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2020, 05:00:35 PM »
Which aircraft? You don't have to look at the stick you can look at the elevator but even then keep in mind that the graphics don't have to match the flight model so the best test is performance.

Kudos for posting data.  :aok

Another issue for flight testing. AH models control surface forces that limit the effect of full deflection of the stick. But using trim will add force to the desired control surface movement without adding to the actual limit of stick movement.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 05:09:07 PM by FLS »

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2020, 05:56:52 PM »
P38 and pony. Guess it's all of them. There are no significant forces at 0 ias that trim needs to help the pilot. Just go otr, push stick, modify trim, watch stick/surfaces move.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2020, 06:19:28 PM »
P38 and pony. Guess it's all of them. There are no significant forces at 0 ias that trim needs to help the pilot. Just go otr, push stick, modify trim, watch stick/surfaces move.

AH3 doesn't use a detailed model of a real aircraft trim system, instead it's modeled to fly like a real aircraft with a trim system.  What you're looking for is what DCS does, but DCS prop planes don't fly like AH3, although it's gotten a lot better. AH3 is an accurate dynamic flight model, it's not a detailed systems model and that's a deliberate design decision. 

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2020, 07:12:20 PM »
See rule #4
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 08:32:52 AM by hitech »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2020, 07:16:36 PM »
Many good ideas have come from the community over the years.  Some people get carried away, everybody's baby is the most beautiful baby ever, but it's good to have productive conversations.

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2020, 07:26:54 PM »
Many good ideas have come from the community over the years.  Some people get carried away, everybody's baby is the most beautiful baby ever, but it's good to have productive conversations.

I agree , but as of late the boards are filled up with threads like this and nothing really related to the good times playing the game. The community has keep this game going, they make the maps, skins, custom terrains for the special events and used to make sound packs up until the Fmod stuff took over.

Here is a question since I have not been around as long as most of you, is there a map, sound pack or skins ever been in game that the developers have made, besides the ones that are stock/default to the game download?

Dont get me wrong I liked the game very much over the years I have played, had a blast with the friends I have made in it.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2020, 07:32:33 PM »
There are maps that are not in rotation but extra skins and sound packs are player mods.

People are free to express themselves here, within a few posted rules, it's a good thing. Hitech is very lenient. People get to dig holes, if they're so inclined, for a while.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2020, 07:39:12 PM »
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 08:34:37 AM by hitech »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2020, 07:48:58 PM »
I agree , but as of late the boards are filled up with threads like this and nothing really related to the good times playing the game. The community has keep this game going, they make the maps, skins, custom terrains for the special events and used to make sound packs up until the Fmod stuff took over.

Maps made with a terrain editor he made and opened up to the community.
Skins made because he created a system for them to be shared and loaded into the game.
The WW1WF arena I made was only possible because of the additional mission tweaks he made so we could try that.
He accepted feedback and  ideas on improving the new Offline Mission workflow that I think has really made it a new resource that players can enjoy.

He is not Electronic Arts.  I can argue all day (and will ;)) on additional changes I'd like to see, but frankly the fact that he has even kept this ball rolling at all for 20 years is mildly amazing. 

Online Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2020, 07:53:30 PM »
If it was EA, they would of killed the game by selling $100 packs and chasing everyone away
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2020, 08:11:29 PM »
If it was EA, they would of killed the game by selling $100 packs and chasing everyone away

Aces High Loot Boxes?

Good thinking!   :D