Author Topic: Getting New Players To Training  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
Getting New Players To Training
« on: January 05, 2020, 10:35:52 AM »
  One of the biggest problems that new players face is learning the basics of how the game works.  I think I have a pretty good idea of how to present the material, but I am at a lose as to how to get new players into the class in the first place.  Suggestions?

Requiring attendance in a training class would not work.  People need to be able to get in the game quickly.  I understand Hitech is considering a way to require a recorded training mission for new accounts, which might work.  As for me, I am looking for ways to get new pilots to attend a specific event.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Getting New Players To Training
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 10:39:47 AM »
We've discussed this at length.   I have heard Hitech is working on some ideas, but that's second-hand info.

If players can't communicate to ask for help, can't navigate the interface, etc. well...
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 10:51:52 AM »
I never go into the MA if there is anyone in the training arena . I always check in and gently ask if there is something they need a hand with. Im an expert on the basics and always willing to help.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 10:54:37 AM »
I never go into the MA if there is anyone in the training arena . I always check in and gently ask if there is something they need a hand with. Im an expert on the basics and always willing to help.

Well, I've wasted many a sortie flying around a base trying to help some poor soul ground looped in the grass firing his guns into the air.  They eventually Alt+F4 never to be seen again.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline racoon1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 11:10:43 AM »
  One of the biggest problems that new players face is learning the basics of how the game works.  I think I have a pretty good idea of how to present the material, but I am at a lose as to how to get new players into the class in the first place.  Suggestions?

Requiring attendance in a training class would not work.  People need to be able to get in the game quickly.  I understand Hitech is considering a way to require a recorded training mission for new accounts, which might work.  As for me, I am looking for ways to get new pilots to attend a specific event.

+1

Good idea turt21 I would be willing to help new players learn the basics to get started. If any new players see me on the roster in the MA please let me know and I will try my best to help <S>
Game ID Moose1
TAs AeroFighters Inc.

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 11:13:20 AM »
Perhaps a line somewhere on the opening screen that trainers are available in the TA at a set time/day. I would be up for that and being on a schedule. Im retired so time doesnt mean anything anymore as long as Im not required to do anything after the car-lights come on.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 11:26:52 AM »
+1
Good idea turt21 I would be willing to help new players learn the basics to get started. If any new players see me on the roster in the MA please let me know and I will try my best to help <S>

That's very generous but new players probably aren't going to see this.

For now the best thing you can do is offer to help people you see struggling or suggest they go to the forum and request training. Any player can help a new player with communication, picking a plane, and getting it up in the air.  If you don't know much more than that you can request training too. :aok

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 11:33:16 AM »
+1

No offense but I think most of us are willing to help new players.   For some reason the help isn't helping.   And if they can't figure out how to chat in the MA how will they see this post offering assistance?

The answer lies elsewhere.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 02:50:01 PM »

If players can't communicate to ask for help, can't navigate the interface, etc. well...

I suspect the word "can't" should be replaced with the word "don't"
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 03:37:19 PM »
I suspect the word "can't" should be replaced with the word "don't"

They can't (don't) because they don't know how.   
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 04:43:47 PM »
They can't (don't) because they don't know how.   

Is that a fact? I’ve communicated with new players by voice and chat, I tune the Help channel and answer when I can. I’d say it’s more a issue of not knowing what to ask and staying silent.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 04:51:09 PM »
Is that a fact? I’ve communicated with new players by voice and chat, I tune the Help channel and answer when I can. I’d say it’s more a issue of not knowing what to ask and staying silent.

For more than a dozen I've encountered it is absolute fact.   

And yeah, it's a matter of not knowing what to do.    That's been my precise point all along.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 05:24:14 PM »

Those you did communicate with could. Those would cannot you did not communicate with.

Simple question: Which button opens the chat in other games? Which button opens the chat in AH with default mapping?

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 05:39:56 PM »
Those you did communicate with could. Those would cannot you did not communicate with.

Simple question: Which button opens the chat in other games? Which button opens the chat in AH with default mapping?

This is a good point I think, when I started, I didn't read any instructions, and spent 2 weeks communicating by hitting esc, and clicking "radio" on the clipboard, my check 6's were glacial <G>
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2020, 07:20:14 PM »

In other games I open up the keybindings to check. Battlefield, Battlefront, Hero’s & Generals, Hell Let Loose, all different. I don’t don’t remain totally helpless.