Author Topic: Lock the Screen Refresh at 60Hz ~ Remove hardware from the Dogfight.  (Read 3966 times)

Offline TBlayde

• Zinc Member
Short and sweet.

Refresh rates need to be identical for everyone regardless of the money they invest in hardware.

I and many people I know don't have the budget to compete with people with $5k rigs and get any enjoyment of constantly lagging behind higher grade equipment.

I love Aces High but it's practically un-playable since AH III game out from a game play perspective.

There has been tons of research done on this effect and I am just sick of it. Still holding out but this really has GOT to be fixed.

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Lock the Screen Refresh at 60Hz ~ Remove hardware from the Dogfight.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 11:38:08 PM »
So you want to force everyone into Atari 2600 mode?

Why not restrict us all to 14" monitors, too?

”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 11:55:38 PM »
Short and sweet.

Refresh rates need to be identical for everyone regardless of the money they invest in hardware.

I and many people I know don't have the budget to compete with people with $5k rigs and get any enjoyment of constantly lagging behind higher grade equipment.

I love Aces High but it's practically un-playable since AH III game out from a game play perspective.

There has been tons of research done on this effect and I am just sick of it. Still holding out but this really has GOT to be fixed.
Do you think HTC should make everyone internet connection identical as well.   :old:

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline TBlayde

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 12:00:23 AM »
So you want to force everyone into Atari 2600 mode?

Why not restrict us all to 14" monitors, too?

Utter BS response and you know it.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 12:47:23 AM »
Actually it is exactly what your post suggests.

Some folks have slower connections too. There is no way for everyone to be even.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline TBlayde

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 01:36:49 AM »
Actually it is exactly what your post suggests.

Some folks have slower connections too. There is no way for everyone to be even.

It was so in AH II.

Gameplay has suffered greatly. The only improvement has been Bustr's new maps. But that doesn't solve the refresh problem.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 07:08:11 AM »
This game is far from requiring cutting edge hardware.

Your game play has suffered but not because of Aces High.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 07:10:20 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 07:12:07 AM »

No, but yours may well be.

I think the replies above explain why. 

If you force people to downgrade you won't have to worry about losing any more because everyone will quit.
”KILLER V”

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 07:46:03 AM »
There were a few ppl talking about fancy screens on 200 the other day. I got jealous so I overclocked my screen from 60 to 70 Hz and turned of shadows and reflections. I'm happy now.

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 08:01:06 AM »
There were a few ppl talking about fancy screens on 200 the other day. I got jealous so I overclocked my screen from 60 to 70 Hz and turned of shadows and reflections. I'm happy now.

whats unfortunate is that most of us probably dont know how to do this. Another step in the uneven playing field that us bottom feeders have to deal with.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 08:30:48 AM »
Short and sweet.

What specific problem are you seeing personally that's caused by 60Hz?

I don't see how refresh rates are an issue. I would expect a bigger difference from input lag but that's not adjustable. Could you cite the relevant research for flight sims?

VR currently uses 70,80, and 90Hz refresh rates and I think 70 is a little low for smooth VR.

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2020, 08:47:44 AM »
whats unfortunate is that most of us probably dont know how to do this. Another step in the uneven playing field that us bottom feeders have to deal with.

Knowledge is power.  Ask for help and someone will.
”KILLER V”

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2020, 09:07:44 AM »

On the plus side, since it wouldn't make a noticeable difference going from 60 -70 you don't need to worry about it.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2020, 09:17:42 AM »
Gotta wonder what your PC specs are? Heck I built mine in 2012 and all I've done is replace the video card to get to VR which tops out at 80fps. Other than that, there's nothing that would be considered top end currently on mine. I overclock my CPU and GPU to keep up. My monitor is a 25" 60hz monitor that I've found I can bump to 75.

Think AH is bad on your rig? Try IL-2 or DCS! Or pretty much any other 3D game out these days. They're a huge factor prettier than AH is but your really need some higher end current equipment to even run it let alone be competitive. I belive that HT has made an effort over the years to keep the graphics toned down a bit if only to keep more players with older PCs in the game. But there are limits! We can't go back to air warrior in the 90s with flat water and pyramids! That was a long time ago.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2020, 09:59:40 AM »
Short and sweet.

What issue are you talking about? Refresh rates are how fast your screen is refreshed. The human eye cant see the difference from 30 to 60 to 90 anyway, so whats the problem?

The only difference between a high end rig and a low end one is how much eye candy you can run. I have a pretty good rig and run almost everything maxed out because I like looking at the pretty pictures. Many who CAN run high settings choose to run lower setting to "get an edge" by having less trees, or shadows, or lens flairs to bother them.

So, what issue are you talking about?

If your having an issue with the game, ask about it! You'll never know if it something you can easily fix or not if you dont ask. All the "fancy screen" does is give you pretty pictures. Many of these guys are willing to walk you through any kinds of adjustments you can make whether its in the game or on the computer