Author Topic: Dark Man Cometh???  (Read 126172 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: Dark Man Cometh???
« Reply #1020 on: March 16, 2020, 10:49:57 AM »
The real and lasting damage will not be medical...

It will be economic

IMHO the bigger issue is ... are we going to be in a depression by the time this flu runs its course???

I dunno.  I'd rather lose all my money rather than lose my family.  I can always go out and make more money someday.

But, yeah, I hear you.

Current estimates are -2% GDP for 2nd Qtr.  (Note the minus sign.)  I wound't be surprised at near 0% GDP for the year.  Maybe worse. 

I'd expect the market to be down another 20% down from here before this is over.  Which with -10% days might not takes as long as I thought.  :O  This thing may have no bottom.

The problem is, to really have a chance to save lives, you are going to have to shut everything down. Everything.
Schools.
Restaurants.
Bars.
Factories.
Churches.
Hotels.
Airlines.
Theaters.
Amusement parks.
Malls.
Retail stores.

How long do you keep them closed?  Without a vaccine, as soon as you reopen them, you'll start getting infections.

People will lose jobs, or at least paychecks on unpaid furlough.  Business will fold. 
People will lose retirement.  They will burn though savings. 

Regardless of cost, we need to minimize infections over the next 3 months to avoid the health system from becoming saturated from the initial waves. If that happens, people start dying unnecessarily from lack of resources.

Fkit. We'll worry about the economics later.  This is the Big Kahuna.  US Government should pull out the stops and release all it's immense power without restraint.    WWII spending X 10.
What's the point of being the last super-power if at a time like this you can't stomp your foot and shake the very Earth?

If we try an nickle and dime this we'll end up scampering around caves in animal skins.   ;)

[Edit]  To answer your question directly, I'm expecting a "Repression"  half way between Recession and Depression.  It's going to be a bad global recession with the addition of piles of bodies.  But I don't expect it to last enough years to qualify as a depression.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 11:51:30 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1021 on: March 16, 2020, 11:10:55 AM »

https://www.westernjournal.com/trump-suspends-1938-road-law-gives-truckers-green-light-move-emergency-supplies

FTA: "All along America’s highways, trucks hauling vital relief supplies are cutting through red tape, thanks to President Donald Trump.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration on Friday announced that a 1938 law regulating the hours of service for truck drivers was being waived on a national basis to battle the coronavirus. The agency said this was first time the rule had ever been waived throughout the country.

“I will never hesitate to take any necessary steps to protect the lives, health, and safety of the American people. I will always put the well-being of America first,” Trump said, according to a White House media pool report."
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Snork

• Copper Member
« Reply #1022 on: March 16, 2020, 11:26:36 AM »
Expect a huge increase in childbirths 9 months after the "stay home" period ensues. That group of newborns shall be known as "Coronials".
Flying as Noser

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1023 on: March 16, 2020, 11:37:37 AM »
Expect a huge increase in childbirths 9 months after the "stay home" period ensues. That group of newborns shall be known as "Coronials".

or you will see an increase of home violence.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #1024 on: March 16, 2020, 11:42:57 AM »

“I will never hesitate to take any necessary steps to protect the lives, health, and safety of the American people. I will always put the well-being of America first,” Trump said, according to a White House media pool report."

And he spoke these words while standing upon the waters of the pool at Mar-a-Lago and then fed all the golfers at his resort with five small barley loaves and two small fish.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #1025 on: March 16, 2020, 12:16:02 PM »
You're gonna blow up like Mr. Creosote.  :rofl

(Image removed from quote.)

Maybe so but I wont need TP now will I?

:salute

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1026 on: March 16, 2020, 12:45:13 PM »
Those numbers, do they include the ones who have recovered or have they been removed. Just curious. Would be interesting to see the numbers that have recovered from this flu.

It is good to see that it does not seem to be as bad as the swine flu was. At least here in the US.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1027 on: March 16, 2020, 12:45:55 PM »

Maybe so but I wont need TP now will I?

No.  You'll need a bucket.  ;)
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1028 on: March 16, 2020, 12:49:41 PM »
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1029 on: March 16, 2020, 01:12:12 PM »

No.  You'll need a bucket.  ;)

:rofl

Also, pediatrics wars will be slammed in 9 months from now. People get BUSY when forced to stay home due to storms etc. There are studies that show when storms hit they can predict the increased number of births down to the two week period 9 months in advance.

So, good news with the bad. Maybe a good stock investing tip is on baby goods makers? :D

The R0 factor for Covid19 is ranging anywhere from 2.2 to 5, depending on the country's response and health care standards. PSI factor for COVID19 is 5. It's more infectious than the 1918 Spanish flu and 20X more lethal than the regular flu.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1030 on: March 16, 2020, 01:17:53 PM »

:rofl

Also, pediatrics wars will be slammed in 9 months from now. People get BUSY when forced to stay home due to storms etc. There are studies that show when storms hit they can predict the increased number of births down to the two week period 9 months in advance.

So, good news with the bad. Maybe a good stock investing tip is on baby goods makers? :D

The R0 factor for Covid19 is ranging anywhere from 2.2 to 5, depending on the country's response and health care standards. PSI factor for COVID19 is 5. It's more infectious than the 1918 Spanish flu and 20X more lethal than the regular flu.

Amazing how they make up numbers when they have no idea how many have had it and are no longer sick.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1031 on: March 16, 2020, 01:26:47 PM »
The R0 factor for Covid19 is ranging anywhere from 2.2 to 5, depending on the country's response and health care standards. PSI factor for COVID19 is 5.

OK.  I'm learning more everyday.  What is PSI?

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #1032 on: March 16, 2020, 01:54:43 PM »
OK.  I'm learning more everyday.  What is PSI?

Primitive survival index.

:salute

PS: dont you watch naked and afraid?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1033 on: March 16, 2020, 02:03:57 PM »
PS: dont you watch naked and afraid?

Very rarely. Normally I'm watching clothed and hungry.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #1034 on: March 16, 2020, 02:06:52 PM »
Those numbers, do they include the ones who have recovered or have they been removed. Just curious. Would be interesting to see the numbers that have recovered from this flu.

It is good to see that it does not seem to be as bad as the swine flu was. At least here in the US.

Here you go. It's updated daily. Look at the chart lower right, click to expand and look at the yellow line, Other Locations. That steep curve is what social distance mitigates. Social distance is what worked in the 1918 flu.

The reason people are confused about this virus is because we heard about it so early compared to other epidemics. We are fortunate our President acted so quickly.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

If you compare the yellow line to the orange line you can see why people don't trust the Chinese numbers.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 02:12:22 PM by FLS »