Author Topic: Dark Man Cometh???  (Read 126176 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Dark Man Cometh???
« Reply #1830 on: March 31, 2020, 12:21:46 AM »
The last time I was in.kalifornia was in the late 60s.

Friend and his family were there about 6 months back. He said what you see on TV is just a drop in the bucket. He said roads were blocked off for homeless. He said it was so bad that they will not be going back. His words not mine.

i call bs to friends and family.  i was in San fransisco last August,  did i see homeless? i did.  did i see poop all over the place, no.  does it happen, yes, is it all over the place? no. are sidewalls closed due to people sleeping there, maybe, is it all over the place, no. are the streets closed? no that i saw.

same for Los angels, there's a district called skid row, homeless congregate there, they clean it up once in a while, but they come back. is it all over the place? no.  skid row isn't exactly in the tourist places.

just like the city i live in.  fridays we would go to the moose lodge and buy left over diners.  walk to another bar and give it the homeless we found, probably 6 or 7.

cesspool? yeah i agree some places are, and i don't go there,  but it's just like in every city in the country.

btw, San Francisco is a boring tourist attraction, other than Alcatraz, muir woods, Chinese district and fisherman's wharf, there isn't anything else, and you can do all of that in 2 days.  if you can stand there cold during the summer.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #1831 on: March 31, 2020, 02:02:27 AM »
I lived in the LA area for about 12 years and the San Francisco area for a few years, then moved to the Seattle area in 2000.  I liked aspects of LA and loved San Francisco, but for tax and expense reasons moved out of California.  I've been back to LA and SF multiple times since then.

All three of those areas have gotten significantly worse in the last 20 years, by what I see, in homelessness; crime; and trash, drug paraphernalia, and human waste on sidewalks and streets.  Seattle is doing its best to follow San Francisco's lead.

I grew up near Detroit.  Interestingly, Detroit seems to have hit bottom around 2010 after half a century of decline, and is on a little bit of an upswing.  But it is still post apocalyptic.  Americans (unless they live near places like Camden or maybe bad areas of Baltimore) have no idea.

A few Detroit stories.

When I lived in California, and my parents lived near Detroit, I would go back for Christmas.  One one visit back in the late 1980's, a Northwest Airlines flight took off with incorrect flaps set, hit an overpass right after takeoff, crashed, and killed everyone.  It didn't get far from Detroit Metro, but (according to the news cast I watched that night) before emergency crews got there, people were already looting the dead bodies.

Another Christmas vacation, I went back to visit with my girlfriend (now wife).  She, I, and my parents went to Trapper's Alley in Greektown, which was very nice and fun, and safe because it is heavily patrolled all around its perimeter and interior.  The People Mover (an elevated little rail system that makes a circuit around downtown Detroit, the result of one of the usual boondoggle projects that downtrodden cities do from time to time) had a station in Trapper's Alley.  My wife wanted to go on the People Mover.  My parents and I were nervous about that, as it went outside of Trapper's Alley.  She (from LA) was incredulous and pushed for going.  We did the little circuit.  It was around 5:30 pm on a non-holiday weekday -- rush-hour time for most cities -- and as we rode around the heart of Detroit, the streets were mostly deserted.  After we got home  and were watching TV, the nightly news reported that the People Mover had been stopped and locked down later that night because someone had been shot on it, and the police wanted to keep the perpetrator from fleeing.

Another vacation to Detroit in early 2000's, we went to the Red Bull Air Races in Detroit, near the Renaissance Center.  The air races were great!  It was a summer weekend mid day with lots of people around.  We took a little walk around the Ren Cen.  The Ren Cen is a fancy, impressive building -- the headquarters of GM -- but within one block of the Ren Cen, there were already abandoned, burned-out rows of shops.

In 2012, I read a news article from one of the SF papers:  "The Cheapest House in San Francisco".  For half a $million, you could get a tiny, rickety shack surrounded by a chain-link fence.  For laughs, I decided to see what $500k would buy in Detroit, and looked at various listings.  $500k would buy a 5000 sq. ft. gorgeous mansion on large, grassy, treed grounds, all encircled by grand privacy hedges and wrought-iron walls.  $250k would buy a 4000 sq. ft. mansion that looked like a castle, but only a large lot, no wrought-iron-enclosed compound.  I went all the way down to $50k.  $50k would buy a beautiful Tudor-style house, normal sized on a beautiful normal-sized treed lot.

However bad it might be for some cities these days, it can get a lot worse.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1832 on: March 31, 2020, 07:15:15 AM »

I think the "fix _ printing money non stop" for the economic crash caused by the virus will result in just that.

Wish I could but I cannot see how it will not.

Praying for a miracle these days.

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1833 on: March 31, 2020, 08:43:26 AM »
I lived in the LA area for about 12 years and the San Francisco area for a few years, then moved to the Seattle area in 2000.  I liked aspects of LA and loved San Francisco, but for tax and expense reasons moved out of California.  I've been back to LA and SF multiple times since then.

All three of those areas have gotten significantly worse in the last 20 years, by what I see, in homelessness; crime; and trash, drug paraphernalia, and human waste on sidewalks and streets.  Seattle is doing its best to follow San Francisco's lead.

I grew up near Detroit.  Interestingly, Detroit seems to have hit bottom around 2010 after half a century of decline, and is on a little bit of an upswing.  But it is still post apocalyptic.  Americans (unless they live near places like Camden or maybe bad areas of Baltimore) have no idea.

A few Detroit stories.

When I lived in California, and my parents lived near Detroit, I would go back for Christmas.  One one visit back in the late 1980's, a Northwest Airlines flight took off with incorrect flaps set, hit an overpass right after takeoff, crashed, and killed everyone.  It didn't get far from Detroit Metro, but (according to the news cast I watched that night) before emergency crews got there, people were already looting the dead bodies.

Another Christmas vacation, I went back to visit with my girlfriend (now wife).  She, I, and my parents went to Trapper's Alley in Greektown, which was very nice and fun, and safe because it is heavily patrolled all around its perimeter and interior.  The People Mover (an elevated little rail system that makes a circuit around downtown Detroit, the result of one of the usual boondoggle projects that downtrodden cities do from time to time) had a station in Trapper's Alley.  My wife wanted to go on the People Mover.  My parents and I were nervous about that, as it went outside of Trapper's Alley.  She (from LA) was incredulous and pushed for going.  We did the little circuit.  It was around 5:30 pm on a non-holiday weekday -- rush-hour time for most cities -- and as we rode around the heart of Detroit, the streets were mostly deserted.  After we got home  and were watching TV, the nightly news reported that the People Mover had been stopped and locked down later that night because someone had been shot on it, and the police wanted to keep the perpetrator from fleeing.

Another vacation to Detroit in early 2000's, we went to the Red Bull Air Races in Detroit, near the Renaissance Center.  The air races were great!  It was a summer weekend mid day with lots of people around.  We took a little walk around the Ren Cen.  The Ren Cen is a fancy, impressive building -- the headquarters of GM -- but within one block of the Ren Cen, there were already abandoned, burned-out rows of shops.

In 2012, I read a news article from one of the SF papers:  "The Cheapest House in San Francisco".  For half a $million, you could get a tiny, rickety shack surrounded by a chain-link fence.  For laughs, I decided to see what $500k would buy in Detroit, and looked at various listings.  $500k would buy a 5000 sq. ft. gorgeous mansion on large, grassy, treed grounds, all encircled by grand privacy hedges and wrought-iron walls.  $250k would buy a 4000 sq. ft. mansion that looked like a castle, but only a large lot, no wrought-iron-enclosed compound.  I went all the way down to $50k.  $50k would buy a beautiful Tudor-style house, normal sized on a beautiful normal-sized treed lot.

Well Brooke, there is a reason why they don't teach Accounting in high school.

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2018/01/portland_finances_get_an_f_gra.html

Homelessness is getting so bad here. Every year they use the uneducated and manipulated to vote in higher and higher taxes that leads to increasing prices or businesses going out of business. They just passed an increase in property taxes to fund 425Million to "maintain parks"....I am actually really scared about what's going to happen now with this shutdown as most small businesses were already extremely tight on cash flow as it is.

Driving down 33rd Avenue right outside of the national guard, there are at least 15 RVs lined up with trash spewing all over the place (so much for the environment). Tent cities are popping up all over the place. I've never seen such gross people in my entire life. It's like the Zombie apocalypse except its going slower than the movies suggest.

It's a sad state of affairs, but they feed off weak people and the people just never get it.. Portland is literally being used to destroy the state of Oregon and the policies are putting more on the streets, but they will never admit their policies actually have negative consequences.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 08:45:51 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1834 on: March 31, 2020, 09:05:21 AM »
Watch out..
LE, reporting snatch and grab robberies in Grocery Store parking lots.. For Groceries..
Easy marks, Women, Elderly, are set up by multiple people working as teams..
Bum Rush tactics.. Grab the stuff out of their carts, and whatever else they can get..

Had to start sooner or later..

« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 09:07:59 AM by OldNitro »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1835 on: March 31, 2020, 09:34:24 AM »
i call bs to friends and family.  i was in San fransisco last August,  did i see homeless? i did.  -snip-

They're not homeless. They're drug addicts. Thus the needles.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1836 on: March 31, 2020, 10:09:39 AM »

oh yeah because every single homeless person is a drug addict and every single addict uses needles. you have no idea what you address talking about.

hey, did you know i was homeless 20 years ago and i wasn't a drug addict, didn't even drink. and by the way, my salary was 50k a year.

semp

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #1837 on: March 31, 2020, 10:35:06 AM »
Do you think that's typical Semp? Homeless people, not doing drugs, and making 50k a year?

Or would that be the exception?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #1838 on: March 31, 2020, 10:38:28 AM »
Watch out..
LE, reporting snatch and grab robberies in Grocery Store parking lots.. For Groceries..
Easy marks, Women, Elderly, are set up by multiple people working as teams..
Bum Rush tactics.. Grab the stuff out of their carts, and whatever else they can get..

Had to start sooner or later..

Did they let people out of jail with no money, no jobs, and no place to live or is it just the usual street criminals?

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1839 on: March 31, 2020, 10:58:05 AM »
If your significant other is infected and you wake up with her snoring into your face, you could have acquired a massive initial infection and end up fighting for your life.

Would you rather start out with a 10,000 viral cells as your initial dose or a few billion? 

Snoring can also loose the virus from where it collects in the back of one's throat and you then aspirate it into your lungs.......which is where you really don't want it to go.   
Women and children snore significantly less than men and the processes above could explain some of the difference between critical cases of men, women, and children.

The process men use to "work up a good loogie" can do the same thing.

Vigorous exercise while infected can do the same thing.

If you're infected, keep the velocity of the air you are breathing to a minimum while battle the virus.   

You will see the experts saying this soon enough but it seems to have been overlooked by most of them even though these are very simple mechanisms of transporting the virus to where you least want it.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 11:12:06 AM by icepac »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1840 on: March 31, 2020, 11:12:54 AM »
Do you think that's typical Semp? Homeless people, not doing drugs, and making 50k a year?

Or would that be the exception?

nope to all.  mine was different.  but i have seen people making 50k living in a garage that don't have drug or alcohol problems.

while there's a higher rate if drug use among homeless, they typically don't use needles, more like speed and crack cocaine.

btw i think based on what I've seen, it's not drugs that make majority of people homeless.  it's mental health.  it also runs high on homeless people.

i used to help a group that would go find homeless vets and help them to find food and a place to stay.  while some had a drug problem, it started after they became homeless, mental illness was top cause.

most didn't or couldn't get help. that's reality.

i quit volunteering because it takes a toll on you.  it's frustrating.

you guys want to see how homeless life is, volunteer at a soup kitchen.

semp

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #1841 on: March 31, 2020, 11:25:01 AM »
3000+ Americans dead, 50 times infected, projected 50 million unemployed in near future, and Dairy Queen hasn't brought back my butterscotch milk shake.

The possible cure is just within reach over next couple of months.  It's going to take time to manufacture once the human trials are a success.  Before that can be handled, I fear that 250,000 minimum will die and the real in-fighting begins on who receives the first cures.  Desperate people will succumb to fear and paranoia creating hordes of mobs clamoring at the walls.

To keep that from happening, let's start a viral movement towards DQ and bring back the butterscotch milk shake.  Only that unique flavor, will soothe the hearts and minds of the oppressed.  We're in this together.
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1842 on: March 31, 2020, 11:25:48 AM »
That was my opinion early on, but I have been convinced that was in error in this case.

Usually, contamination for droplets on surfaces through your hands was by far the highest risk vector.

But this sucker is often airborne.  They are finding it could stay suspended for quite some time and be carried through ventilation systems.

And even a homemade mask from everyday materials can filter out at least 50% of virus sized particles:
https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/diy-homemade-mask-protect-virus-coronavirus/

Don't neglect your hands, but we need to be thinking about masks too.

My apologies for arguing the opposite earlier.

:salute

Get your wives and daughters sewing masks guys....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/cdc-considering-recommending-general-public-wear-face-coverings-in-public/2020/03/30/6a3e495c-7280-11ea-87da-77a8136c1a6d_story.html

:salute
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #1843 on: March 31, 2020, 11:25:48 AM »

Probably the most idiotic statement made in this entire post thread - and that is saying something.

I think that you should spend some time trying to understand the homeless community - many of whom are Vets who have been tossed out into the streets in one of the more shameful acts we have chosen to turn a blind eye towards as a nation.

Please think about the hurt you cause by saying what you did.
=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1844 on: March 31, 2020, 11:28:50 AM »
If your significant other is infected and you wake up with her snoring into your face, you could have acquired a massive initial infection and end up fighting for your life.

Would you rather start out with a 10,000 viral cells as your initial dose or a few billion? 

Snoring can also loose the virus from where it collects in the back of one's throat and you then aspirate it into your lungs.......which is where you really don't want it to go.   
Women and children snore significantly less than men and the processes above could explain some of the difference between critical cases of men, women, and children.

The process men use to "work up a good loogie" can do the same thing.

Vigorous exercise while infected can do the same thing.

If you're infected, keep the velocity of the air you are breathing to a minimum while battle the virus.   

You will see the experts saying this soon enough but it seems to have been overlooked by most of them even though these are very simple mechanisms of transporting the virus to where you least want it.

We got a My Pillow. Surprisingly it has greatly reduced the snoring between my wife and me.

nope to all.  mine was different.  but i have seen people making 50k living in a garage that don't have drug or alcohol problems.

while there's a higher rate if drug use among homeless, they typically don't use needles, more like speed and crack cocaine.

btw i think based on what I've seen, it's not drugs that make majority of people homeless.  it's mental health.  it also runs high on homeless people.

i used to help a group that would go find homeless vets and help them to find food and a place to stay.  while some had a drug problem, it started after they became homeless, mental illness was top cause.

most didn't or couldn't get help. that's reality.

i quit volunteering because it takes a toll on you.  it's frustrating.

you guys want to see how homeless life is, volunteer at a soup kitchen.

semp

I just want to know why the problem is expanding rather than contracting. Why is "mental health" and laziness expanding? Why are more people able to find hard drugs easier which puts them in homelessness and kills their ambition and drive? Why are vets being left on the streets while politicians get retirement pensions after 5 years of service?

I blame it all on high taxes and a failure of government officials, along with the hollywood culture of sex drugs and violence, along with a news organization that promotes fear, depression, death, and uncertainty. 

Like I said before, until people realize their government is taking advantage of them and selling out their society while using those poor souls to raise taxes. It will only get worse. That's what has been seen in Portland, Seattle, and San Fran.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 11:31:26 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion