Author Topic: Help me understand something please  (Read 4140 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Help me understand something please
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2020, 06:47:55 PM »
I know you guys are insane good. I experience it every day and every night. But when it comes to my gunnery compared to the enemy its like wtf is going on???

I understand the ballistics, the Kentucky Windage, the convergence ect..  but what I dont understand is why I can burn up all my 20mm and 30mm cannon and NOT shoot the guy down. I see my bullets hitting his plane.  But you guys will swoop in from my flank and 1 shot pilot injure me or drop in on my six and single burst kill me.  And in my honest opinion, this is why you cant keep new player for more than 1 month.
Time after time after time ill get firing solution and shoot and ill miss or you fly right through a stream of 20mm and other than impact sparks you come right around and one shot me.
Am I laggy? I know i dont suck that bad. I just dont get it and its sucking the desire right out of me. 2 to 6 hours a day of taking off climbing out, getting to battle, getting dope on you, missing or not killing you, you get around on me, 1 shot me and repeat, over and over again can be demoralizing to anybody.
This is my best most respectful ptsd plea for help.

You say you understand the ballistics, but do you use them?

Are you firing WHILE your pulling G's? If you are, your not concentrating your rounds AT CONVERGENCE, but are slinging them all along/around the target. Pull your lead, ease off the stick a shoot at a point out front of your target at the range you have your convergence set at. Convergence, closer is better especially with cannons. Cannons drop off as they get farther out so you need both lead AND to aim high, out front of your target, too many places to make a mistake.

Get close, under 300 is best, unload the G's, and lead the target and fire a burst. Stick with one plane for 100 hours to get use to the lead and start bringing your hit % up

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2020, 09:42:13 PM »
  Record your sorties.  Go back and watch the film. When you are shooting at someone, switch the view so you are centered on that plane, and see where your bullets are going.  You can get a close up look at where your bullets are hitting, and where they go when you miss.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline SAAMIAM

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2020, 10:10:49 PM »
Head to Head with Bf110?
Rag... im sorry i just now saw your reply... i like your style. Even better I like that you said in Match play arena. Can we spice it up a bit? Say ffa in match play? We both take knights and fight off ai drones while we battle it out head to headin our sick donut 110's?

Offline SAAMIAM

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2020, 10:12:11 PM »
Rudder is key. My hit percentage without a rudder would maybe be 1/4th of my normal one.

Atlau.. thanks for the advice brother.. you are one of those guys names that pops up frequently right before the words "shot you down"

Offline SAAMIAM

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2020, 10:15:38 PM »
Using a non-stick controller (or a badly setup stick) often results in a lack of quick precision required for getting a quick concentration of hits at a critical place. Several hit that are just all over the place often won't do the trick. And like atlau said, precise use of rudder is more than juts helpful for getting a high hit percentage.

What is your recent pilot ID?

Thanks Lusche... I feel I am getting good dope on my target but as you said its the precision that does it.. like that murderer 2cemex, He will one shot pilot injure you on a 400mph flanking strafe...
my id as of late is FounderJeff  (FndrJeff) It will stay that way for a while as i try and get AcesLeagues off the ground

Offline SAAMIAM

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2020, 10:17:30 PM »
For this complaint that's the answer. Obviously, no one can fix all of his problems.

Well thank you Chalenge for the constructive and positive reinforcing suggestion. 👍👍👍 quite the contributor you are i see

Offline SAAMIAM

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2020, 10:20:44 PM »
You say you understand the ballistics, but do you use them?

Are you firing WHILE your pulling G's? If you are, your not concentrating your rounds AT CONVERGENCE, but are slinging them all along/around the target. Pull your lead, ease off the stick a shoot at a point out front of your target at the range you have your convergence set at. Convergence, closer is better especially with cannons. Cannons drop off as they get farther out so you need both lead AND to aim high, out front of your target, too many places to make a mistake.

Get close, under 300 is best, unload the G's, and lead the target and fire a burst. Stick with one plane for 100 hours to get use to the lead and start bringing your hit % up

Best advice yet. Thanks Fugitive... as much as you can be like me, (a bit direct) you will not hesitate to offer someone good sound advice. I most appreciate that good sir. Thank You

Offline SAAMIAM

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2020, 10:23:12 PM »
  Record your sorties.  Go back and watch the film. When you are shooting at someone, switch the view so you are centered on that plane, and see where your bullets are going.  You can get a close up look at where your bullets are hitting, and where they go when you miss.

Thanks Mongoose,  I do record them and watch them bit I find myself making the same shots because they appear to be lined up.. i feel my biggest problem after reading all the suggestions is my range. I am firing way to far out. 400 to 600. Ill work on getting much closer.

Thanks everyone for the sound advice.

Offline SAAMIAM

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2020, 10:26:30 PM »
See rule #4
Were you telling me to see rule 4 so I could better understand how you violated it when you made your hurtful and sarcastic remarks about my controller setup?
- Flame baiting, flaming, being abusive, being disrespectful, trolling, spamming or posting to incite or annoy is not allowed. If you cannot make a positive contribution to the thread, then just stay out of it.
My friendly challenge to you was one made in good faith and still stands, I fail to see where it violates the above mentioned rule.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2020, 07:03:20 AM »
no he was rule 4'd for something he said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2020, 10:04:46 PM »
Aim and convergence are very important gunnery skills to know.  Unfortunately, it's a skill most don't have or not very proficient in. 

If you find that your rounds aren't do as much damage as you think they are, make sure that you're hitting the target at the convergence point.  Just like convergence, where your rounds hit the plane is just as important.  Aim for the weak areas, like the cockpit area, engine or wing root.  Most of the time a good, single solid burst is enough to bring down the bandit.  Another area to aim for is the tail section, specifically the area where the fuselage and tail section meet.  If you don't remove the tail with a solid burst, the damage usually result in being major by removing a flight control surface like an elevator, rudder or  stabilizer.

Just because one comes from another game where you were an Annie Oakley, it does not guarantee that you'll be a Toby Walker in here.  Practice, practice, practice is the name of the game with gunnery.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2020, 06:44:31 AM »
The video I made on how to setup your joysticks explains how to stabilize your airplane to get rid of the bouncy/slop that is present until you go through the process.

Where would I find this video?

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2020, 12:32:41 PM »
Hey Drano.. 1.) what is taptalk ? And 2.) how about you put down your ipad like me and log in and I'll make YOU the entertainment of the day as I make you check your parachute serviceability all morning? Just like liquid Drano you will be falling from the sky in a downward spiral.

hey Mr. best fighter pilot there is, my money is on Drano, and most every pilot in the game. and apparently you're squad isn't helping you to learn.
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2020, 01:14:05 PM »
The video I made on how to setup your joysticks explains how to stabilize your airplane to get rid of the bouncy/slop that is present until you go through the process.

Another thing that can make your shooting inaccurate is constantly changing your aircraft.

Stick setup first. Learn one airplane at a time after.

It's also really hard to shoot straight when you're fighting the stall.
where would i find this video-what was the date? what is the video called?
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2020, 01:17:05 PM »
All of the comments are true and helpful. Other considerations.

Which Sprite is which: if you fly a plane with machine guns and cannons, often time the machine guns will find the target first because the rounds have higher muzzle velocities.  So if you're in a Spitfire you could be hitting the bandit with the two machine guns and missing with the 20mm cannons.
Solution: Make use of two triggers on your joystick. Have one set for Machine guns and a different one for cannons. use the machine guns to range the enemy, then position for a little more lead and fire the cannons. Practice this and it will save you cannon ammo and help you get more kills because it will allow a higher hit percent for your cannon rounds.

Scattered Rounds: Convergence means there is only one point where the rounds are concentrated.  short or long of that they spread out. Add to that planes are at different attitudes toward each other. this means rounds will be spread around the enemy aircraft over time. So lots of sprites can mean you hit lots of different parts only a couple of times. which may not be enough to break them.
Solution: try something with concentrated firepower so sprites usually mean victory. P-38, 110, 109 w/30mm.

Crossing speed: If a target is moving very quickly through your guns sight due to scissor maneuver, or a crossing shot, the number of rounds you can land in the same place is decreased.  So you may just put a few holes in him.

Solution:
1) Getting a kill on a high speed crossing shot required lots of firepower. Many pilots, even the good ones, are surprised by a crossing shot (snap shot).  They feel they can survive a fast scissor long enough get there opponent (focused on making a shot) to slide out in front after a few turns.  Heavy firepower that kill a bandit on a quick snap shot can make for a lot of easy, quick kills enabling you more time to get in position for the next bandit in. P-38, 30mm equipped German planes, N1K1, Hurricane C, La7 with
(3) 20mm pack, 110 w/4 20mm, A-20 with 8 50 cal in the nose.

2) Other wise you need to saddle up behind him so you're firing more of a tracking shot. This effectively slows down how fast the plane is moving through you firing solution. The trade off is the smaller size of the silhouette (or cross sectional area) that your trying to hit. so a plane with lots of ammo is your friend where. F4U, Pony, hellcat, Jug, P-38,
Personally, I don't like have to take that long to saddle someone up, and stay there for a longer tracking shot because I'm usually picked by his wingman by then. 

Hope that helps  :salute
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 01:21:07 PM by Vinkman »
Who is John Galt?