Author Topic: What is your definition of a HO? Mine is different im sure  (Read 5440 times)

Offline SAAMIAM

• Copper Member
What is your definition of a HO? Mine is different im sure
« on: February 25, 2020, 07:30:21 AM »
HO - Head On, HO'ing - head oning??

We don't do HO's. HOing is bad etiquette. The blank blank HO'd me dangit!,

So here is my thoughts on the matter, my approach to HO's and when I call a pilot a Ho..

We all know HO means Head On. Yes. But lets examine it a bit deeper. When 2 pilots engage in a dog fight 9 out of 10 times they are usually facing eachother at distance. As they merge plot 1 breaks one way, the other guy the other way. Be it up and over, or left or right, both pilots are jockeying for a six position on the other. What ends up happening is the 2 pilots end up coming back around into a HO position repeatedly.
Now the examples i just gave above I do not call a HO, I call it 2 pilots trying to get  firing solution on the other. I dont have any issue with this by any means and when Im in my BF110 or HE 152, I will try to shoot you in the face as we pass and at each end over as we find our selves coming face to face again, ill try again to shoot you in the face.
Either you will kill me or I will kill you or we both miss and go around again. I am ok with this because for me, I am going to maintain my arc and flight path and although we are coming at eachother, we will not collide.
The guy I call a HO is the jerk that will intentionally alter his arc or flight path so he collides with you because he doesnt have a shot. That guy is a HO in my opinion. Coming straight at me from 6k and at 1k we each start firing. Then at the last second you pull up or down, altering your path to ram me because you didnt have a shot.. thats a HO in my opinion.

I like to fly the BF110.. i like it alot! Its got 4x20mm and 2x30mm cannons in the nose so heck yeah im going to play chicken with you. I like shooting you IN THE FAAAAACEEEEE.
But... But, i'll never alter my flight path and ram you just because you got the shot angle and I didnt..

Love it, hate it, its all good.. its my view and admitted actions regarding the issue.

Thanks for listening. Its 5:30am and im logging in to go blow some sh........ up. 😁

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: What is your definition of a HO? Mine is different im sure
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 08:30:44 AM »
Hi again, Samyam. Thanks for teaching this community about hos. Before you got here we all just thought they was hookers.  :aok

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 08:49:07 AM »
there was ho'ing in WWII so quit whining
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 08:56:31 AM »
What is the definition of landing, or taking off or crashing or compressing; its all the same with no different interpretations.

Most people look to "interpretations" to allow them to act how they like. Only the community comes up with *rules* and *regulations* to try to enhance the experience of combat and these community made guidelines are gifts in their own right.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 10:17:09 AM »
A head on shot may not be your best choice but if it's the only shot you're going to get you should take it.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 10:40:01 AM »
Coming straight at me from 6k and at 1k we each start firing. Then at the last second you pull up or down, altering your path to ram me because you didnt have a shot.. thats a HO in my opinion.

If you both start firing are you not also doing the HO? And why did you not alter your course to not collided?

HiTech

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 10:41:26 AM »
A HO is a low aspect engagement that you lost.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 10:44:34 AM »
I still say winding up in a position where the bad guy can shoot you is commonly called "losing the fight".

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 10:59:23 AM »
Anyone that commits to an HO will also shoot at any other angle.

Think about it.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 11:23:36 AM »
Anyone that commits to an HO will also shoot at any other angle.

Think about it.

What you mean lag turns can be a good thing?

HiTech

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 11:28:59 AM »
It is usually an engagement I lost whilst I was looking at the front end of my enemy.... I do cheat and look behind though so I see all the hobags that kill me

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2020, 02:25:07 PM »
Avoid the HO at all cost. You have a 90% chance of dying and a 95% chance at least of being damaged. (Made up stats but go ahead and try me  :old: )

If you collide. It's no one else's fault but your own.

After the first merge, if you avoided the HO, you already have the advantage during the first emmilman. If you both come around and are nose facing each other, you had better go nose down and turn left or right to get under their nose with an angle, then pull up as you pass to catch the angle and do another emmilman. Normally, if they are trying to shoot you in the face, they will be at the disadvantage and you will gain the 6 easily.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 02:40:37 PM »
What you mean lag turns can be a good thing?

HiTech

How do you lag a straight approach? 

Best to lead turn and trade the bandit a bad shot for good position.

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2020, 02:55:38 PM »
If you turn before the merge and you have an equal or more maneuverable fighter then you have THE advantage and will get on his six.

If you have a faster aircraft, then avoid his HO shot and extend so you can get altitude. Nothing wrong with
BnZ.

Luftwaffe pilots studied the Dicta Boelcke for a reason. Stay alive and land those kills.

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2020, 02:57:23 PM »
IMO a head on is when both aircraft have a firing solution.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com