Author Topic: Covid19 Paranoia  (Read 10695 times)

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
Re: Covid19 Paranoia
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2020, 03:24:23 PM »
The economic aftermath will make the virus damage look pathetically weak in comparison

By that time we are at 30% unemployment .

Do you realize the gov is setting up unemployment to equal a $15 an hour 40 week payout regardless of how little one made when working?

You are going to have millions signing up for this tax $$ funded " raise"?

Good luck getting them back into the workforce anytime soon.

Same time gov printing billions more for small businesses to account for their loss of business in an attempt for them to keep their people employed

Burning the candle from both ends

Nothing wrong can happen here..

Eagler

Blame this on the Gov, the dems, repubs and the collective voting citizens of the U.S.
 :bhead
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2020, 11:01:05 PM »
Good planning. If it ever gets so bad that you need to shoot you need to be in a group big enough to handle the gangs that will form to rob you.  :aok

Exactly. Some ammunition is for hunting... if whatever happens allows. You don't think folks stockpile for just hunting. Your most important ability is to protect your sources.

Having supplies to get started is but a small part of the puzzle.

You are seeing how I'll prepared most folks are now. This is hardly a blip on the scale. Fail to plan, plan to fail.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2020, 01:24:59 AM »
I don't have any opinion on American gun control.

So your first thoughts in this situation are, I need my guns and ammo to protect my family and loved ones from OTHER Americans who now more than ever are likely to steal my stuff?
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2020, 03:26:50 AM »

So your first thoughts in this situation are, I need my guns and ammo to protect my family and loved ones from OTHER Americans who now more than ever are likely to steal my stuff?
Yes, pretty much! Hope it doesnt go this route but desperate folk do desperate things. Look at what happened in Ferguson,Mo. and Baltimore,Md riots. All some need is an excuse. At least I am not a seller of Hair Extensions. Those 2 events make a very valid point...if folk can go crazy about non-essentials, what should you expect them to do for the Essential stuff. Goes for everyone and every place. Most would probably help them out, if they had it to spare, I believe however Pride would make that a lot harder for some to ask for help. So makes theft a REAL possibility. Not to mention the fact that, we as Americans find ourselves in a VERY divided society along just about any issue you could imagine. This could get real bad here and in a HURRY :uhoh For me, it is no different than having a "House Fire Evac or Flood or Tornado" exit/shelter plan. I would be remiss in my duty as Head of Household, if I didnt prepare for this situation
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2020, 09:46:51 AM »

At the point we are talking, those not prepared will be dead or dieing. Your question leads me to believe you will not have to worry about it for long. What we prepare for will undoubtedly affect your country too.

It is insurance. We have it and hope to never have to use it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 09:48:45 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2020, 09:52:56 AM »

I have opinions about UK knife control.

One of the responses here to the current crises is letting criminals out of jail. There is also a trend to reform bail where criminals are caught and released immediately so the only penalty they see is a brief interruption in criminal activity.

If you have no violent crime in the UK that's awesome but we have a few people here who will hurt you to steal from you. Our constitution recognizes the right to have the means to stop them.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2020, 10:11:49 AM »

Yes.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2020, 10:19:21 AM »

No. I don't share that wet dream.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2020, 11:02:22 AM »
No. I don't share that wet dream.

Do you have a better plan for stopping a violent criminal? Like offering them job training?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2020, 11:26:35 AM »
Do you have a better plan for stopping a violent criminal? Like offering them job training?

I don't plan to encounter violent criminals. I don't fantasize nor do I fixate on such. I find that anyone who has been preparing for such for years tends to reach a point in their lives where they are either forced to consider how much of a waste of time it all was or they take active measures to prove it wasn't. I've a good friend who is very much like a brother to me (same hometown, joined navy together, etc) who convinced himself that he needed an arsenal of exotic weaponry to 'keep his family safe' and his excuse was that an older member of his church was a victim of violent crime in her own home. It was a horrible event but it didn't turn our small Texas town into a war zone.

I think that for less than half the cost of his collection I could move the family from a prospective war zone (obviously, it really isn't one). He'd not be facing as much of a money crunch, either. If it's all about hunting for food, one may find a better investment in archery than ammo.

I still love him and if we were ever actually put in a 'here comes the hordes, we gotta mow `em down' situation, I'm sure he'd have a weapon to spare so I can cover his back. But I'm thinkin' I'm being a bit more realistic when it comes down to this pandemic situation and my priorities involve other things than ammo for my AR-15, AK-47, Soviet model sniper gun, etc. Canned food, comes to mind. And, yes, part of the survival - of society - would be thinking about being helpful to strangers in need and not being focused on how many of them I could kill because, well, I'm scared.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2020, 11:31:20 AM »
I don't plan to encounter violent criminals. I don't fantasize nor do I fixate on such. I find that anyone who has been preparing for such for years tends to reach a point in their lives where they are either forced to consider how much of a waste of time it all was or they take active measures to prove it wasn't. I've a good friend who is very much like a brother to me (same hometown, joined navy together, etc) who convinced himself that he needed an arsenal of exotic weaponry to 'keep his family safe' and his excuse was that an older member of his church was a victim of violent crime in her own home. It was a horrible event but it didn't turn our small Texas town into a war zone.

I think that for less than half the cost of his collection I could move the family from a prospective war zone (obviously, it really isn't one). He'd not be facing as much of a money crunch, either. If it's all about hunting for food, one may find a better investment in archery than ammo.

I still love him and if we were ever actually put in a 'here comes the hordes, we gotta mow `em down' situation, I'm sure he'd have a weapon to spare so I can cover his back. But I'm thinkin' I'm being a bit more realistic when it comes down to this pandemic situation and my priorities involve other things than ammo for my AR-15, AK-47, Soviet model sniper gun, etc. Canned food, comes to mind. And, yes, part of the survival - of society - would be thinking about being helpful to strangers in need and not being focused on how many of them I could kill because, well, I'm scared.

Fail to plan, plan to fail.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2020, 11:40:03 AM »
Fail to plan, plan to fail.

Simplistic jingo. My plans are different and not nearly as fear based.  :old:

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2020, 12:15:11 PM »
Simplistic jingo. My plans are different and not nearly as fear based.  :old:

You mistake preparedness for fear. Your loss should anything happen. Good luck.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2020, 12:24:58 PM »
You mistake preparedness for fear.

No mistake. I take the motivation implied and the immediate reaction into account. If it's all about killing others as your primary means for survival then the 'preparedness' is fear based (unless, of course, it's just plain psycho based).

Back to the question:

"So your first thoughts in this situation are, I need my guns and ammo to protect my family and loved ones from OTHER Americans who now more than ever are likely to steal my stuff?"

First .... thoughts.

There was more than one immediate yes response. It would have been nice to have seen a more reserved 'Well, not first, so much, but it lingers somewhere after meeting all my family's needs in a potential shortage of survival necessities.'

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2020, 12:38:31 PM »
Arlo you have two plans. Run away, and let somebody else deal with it. That's fine. But there is no reason to imply that gun owners have a sexual fetish about guns. I have stopped violent criminals with and without guns. I know which works better. Your assumption that guns require killing to stop criminal behavior is nonsense and ignores the fact that guns usually prevent violence from starting.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 12:40:19 PM by FLS »