Author Topic: What are the numbers these days?  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
What are the numbers these days?
« on: April 11, 2020, 09:05:32 PM »
I've been gone a while.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: What are the numbers these days?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 09:17:08 PM »
100-150 on a weekend, 100-120 weekday. You get surges now and then, but numbers are still the biggest problem with AH.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 09:18:08 PM »
There were over 200 on before FSO last night.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 09:20:15 PM »
There were over 200 on before FSO last night.

I saw it hit 292, then FSO started and 160 went there, MA 100, and 20-25 in other arenas. MA was junk

And 150 is what, about half of what it was a year or so ago?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 09:22:48 PM by The Fugitive »

Offline Trev95

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 09:41:25 PM »
120-200 on average, fights are still awesome. :D
FBTrev95/Riftval
Riftvals Bombers

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 10:00:12 PM »
I saw it hit 292, then FSO started and 160 went there, MA 100, and 20-25 in other arenas. MA was junk

Sure.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 11:34:37 PM »

292? That's awesome.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 08:46:00 AM »
292? That's awesome.

Yes it is, but if it is only for the half hour before FSO and then it all disappears, it doesnt help game play in the main.

Now if they could get those players to play more often in the main arena we'd have something again.

I wonder why those players avoid the MA except before FSO?  :noid

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 09:08:59 AM »
If I had to guess, it is because people enjoy the coordinated and historical style of play that FSO offers.

FlyKommando.com

Offline Litjan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 09:14:48 AM »
I recently cancelled my account...second time in about 20 years. I was back for a little over two years, I think.

I could tell you the reasons why I cancelled and what I am playing now to still my thirst for WWII aereal combat instead, but I know that it will not register with or interest the people that frequent this forum...which in turn is part of the problem of the declining numbers.  :D

It would almost be funny, but I think this game will die out because of the people playing it and wishing for it to succeed...but are actually in the way of it doing so.

Aces High was a big part of my life and gave me countless hours of intense fun, and in total I have never spent as much on any computer game like I have on Aces High over the years.

Enjoy it while it lasts, but I am not funding "no progress" anymore. HiTech seems caught in the dilemma between alienating the regulars with unwanted changes and the need to modernize this game to attract new users.

Cheers and good bye, Litjan

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 09:38:32 AM »
Yes it is, but if it is only for the half hour before FSO and then it all disappears, it doesnt help game play in the main.

Now if they could get those players to play more often in the main arena we'd have something again.

I believe it is more the way you are looking at it. FSO is once a week. MA is all the time.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2020, 09:39:54 AM »
Fugi I only kept my account for events such as scenarios.  A lot of others felt an did the same thing I did.  At times the MA just becomes a vulch fest.  Glad I came back though.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 10:37:45 AM »
Fugi I only kept my account for events such as scenarios.  A lot of others felt an did the same thing I did.  At times the MA just becomes a vulch fest.  Glad I came back though.

This, I think, is the biggest problem. The only thing you can call "battle" nowadays is the horde rolling base after base. Your either under the horde defending, or in it shooting "Mine, Mine, Mine" with everyone else. It has turned into a cesspool of game play, or maybe its just a LACK of game play seeing as so much of the game is ignored.

If a bit of structure were brought back into the game, would those FSO only players venture back in a bit more regularly? I would think so.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 10:52:22 AM »
This, I think, is the biggest problem. The only thing you can call "battle" nowadays is the horde rolling base after base. Your either under the horde defending, or in it shooting "Mine, Mine, Mine" with everyone else. It has turned into a cesspool of game play, or maybe its just a LACK of game play seeing as so much of the game is ignored.

If a bit of structure were brought back into the game, would those FSO only players venture back in a bit more regularly? I would think so.
I don't know. I played yesterday for pretty much the entire day in the MA, something I have not done in maybe 6-7 years.

There was a fight from A9-A11 on the fjord map that was literally going on for 5-6 hours, both aircraft and GVs.

Sure there is hording and taking bases, but that is no different than when I started playing 15 years ago. I personally think the game play with regard to rolling undefended bases is better now than it was before. We have uber-dar, range based dar, GV dar, and even some of the new maps (fjord map in particular) has GV spawns from the base to the town. Not to mention the NOE altitude is extremely low now. It is very difficult to sneak anything anymore.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 11:06:32 AM by Spikes »

FlyKommando.com

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2020, 11:18:15 AM »

In general the MA lacks fighter pilot aggression.  Even if you give the alt/speed advantage to the other pilot, he usually won't attack unless he also has several buddies with him.  This is why I don't fly much in the MA.  Instead I fly the WWI arena, Monday Night Madness, and FSO.  There the aggression is turned up the way it used to be in the MA.

The prevailing mantra in the MA is "never hit someone, unless you are absolutely sure you can get away with it"  :( 

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills