Author Topic: Trees at the end of the runway  (Read 7044 times)

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
Re: Trees at the end of the runway
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2020, 03:17:24 PM »
The runway layout with tree's so close, that heavy  P 47's, et al, even with wep and flaps still hit trees trying to take off. The planner or planner's must to have been in the Army. The tree's also make it difficult when you're trying to land a crippled plane.

Mr High Tech, c u t  d o w n  t h o s e  t r e e' s.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 03:19:42 PM by ONTOS »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2020, 03:26:32 PM »
The runway layout with tree's so close, that heavy  P 47's, et al, even with wep and flaps still hit trees trying to take off. The planner or planner's must to have been in the Army. The tree's also make it difficult when you're trying to land a crippled plane.

Mr High Tech, c u t  d o w n  t h o s e  t r e e' s.

USAAF (U.S. Army Air Force). (And again, take it to the terrain designers - players that volunteer and work hard for our amusement :D ).

Offline KillerPops

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2020, 03:40:10 PM »
Same map, same field, same direction - 40 500 lb. bombs and 75% fuel

On Auto take off...  You got to be kidding !   :banana:

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2020, 03:44:03 PM »

Ya gotta pay attention. Auto shuts off when you manually rotate. ;)

What squad you flying with?  :D

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2020, 03:45:48 PM »
Spending 350 perks on the best bomber of WWII and relying on auto take off... Ooph.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2020, 03:51:31 PM »
Spending 350 perks on the best bomber of WWII and relying on auto take off... Ooph.

Might I point out that I'm not complaining about how impossible it is to take 29s off from that field.

Of course, offline its free and there's a difference between actual 'auto-takeoff' and 'auto-runway run.' Having less rudder input up to your rotate point seems to help those 29s just a smidgen. ;)

On another point - I'd much rather bomb in 17s.  :cool:

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2020, 04:15:12 PM »
Nothing wrong with auto takeoff. I use it all the time. But all it does is lift off at best climb speed and sometimes that doesn't work for all aircraft, especially super heavies and jets.

I too tested it out and made it off the same runway easily at both 50% and 100%. Not saying the trees at the end of the runway aren't stupid, but it isn't impossible to get around them.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2020, 04:35:37 PM »
But I'm not 'lifting off at best climb speed.' I grab the yoke and rotate when my IAS hits 120 (you'll see 'auto' go from 'takeoff' to 'off' at that point). What the runway run on auto does for me is eliminate the need for manual rudder input. I've seen no reason to takeoff in any plane dancing my rudders all the way down the runway since I've adopted this method (though, obviously, I did exactly that at one point).

Back to the heart of this apparent complaint thread -

Some suggest that using a perk formation of 29s should not take anymore forethought than fueling it up loading it up and upping from any `ol large airfield in any direction. It hasn't been that way as long as 29s existed in AH. It's not even historical. Crash them puppies on takeoff when playing in the MA and yes, poof go those perks. This is precisely why I'll only fly 29s with plenty of planning and forethought (given having the perks needed) and if there's a group of players that want to mimic such a strat run in the MA (a rare occurrence).

I understand KP's frustration but I don't agree with the projected blame. I'll gladly wing up with him and fly bomb runs in the MA. If HT would let me donate 300 bomber perks to him, I would (since I've discovered how easy they can rack up).

My sig tag goes to a web site dedicated to level bombing and is there for anyone that wants to fly in a group (the unofficial 918th Heavy Bomber Group *12 O Clock High*).  No need to leave a squad to join - I didn't. The only thing is arranging a date, time and side. :)

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2020, 04:36:53 PM »
I'm very close with AKKuya's procedures.  Couple things I do differently..

Engage WEP before releasing brakes on roll-out.

I forgot that one.  Without WEP, you won't be successful.  Thanks Drone.  :salute

During on my special events, I used the SFMA 2016 terrain.  A44, high altitude base, has a small airfield with an east-west runway.  An East takeoff results in the terrain dropping off as you climb with easy B-29 capability.  We had 15 plus players with sets of B-29s bombing the crap of everything.

There are plenty of other terrains with air starts that can be utilized in Special Events.

While ago in Melee, I lifted with a set of B-29s and forgot one of my steps and crashed all 3 losing around a 1000 perks.  It happens to us all one time or another.
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2020, 05:28:46 PM »
But I'm not 'lifting off at best climb speed.' I grab the yoke and rotate when my IAS hits 120 (you'll see 'auto' go from 'takeoff' to 'off' at that point). What the runway run on auto does for me is eliminate the need for manual rudder input. I've seen no reason to takeoff in any plane dancing my rudders all the way down the runway since I've adopted this method (though, obviously, I did exactly that at one point).

I guess I'm confused. I quoted the OP and am not questioning your methods.

My point being that the OP seemingly was relying on auto-takeoff the entire way. Even the slightest amount of input makes the trees avoidable.

FlyKommando.com

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2020, 05:41:41 PM »
I guess I'm confused. I quoted the OP and am not questioning your methods.

My point being that the OP seemingly was relying on auto-takeoff the entire way. Even the slightest amount of input makes the trees avoidable.

The OP was attempting to poke at me for doing such in the videos of my avoiding crashing 29s from that same base and direction.  Once that yoke is taken off auto-TO you can give your lead plane the needed extra umpf to get over the trees (while cussing out either the Army Corps of Engineers or SeaBees that decided shade at the end of the runway was needed for exciting dates with the nurses). :)

Offline KillerPops

• Zinc Member
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2020, 06:08:09 PM »
As I said, I play only now and then. Waiting another year or two to get enough perk points to fly the B-29 online is now what I consider fun. That is the only point worth considering, as I play online for one reason only: for fun  ;)

Stupid me, didn't anticipate trees on the threshold of a bomber runway exiting into the sea. Should have done this, should have done that, bla bla bla... And no, I never take off with auto take-off as is done in that video. That's just sad and no fun.

I have been around since WB days using analogue moden (yes, I'm that old  :D ), and switched to AH when WB disintegrated and went stale. I was in AH beta more than 20 years ago and a bit after. Came back for AHIII beta and have been a paying customer ever since, mostly just to support the developers. This game has/had great potential. I also use it offline for "dry practicing" when the weather is too bad to fly for real (or some bloody Corona virus takes all control). I like the FM and in particular I like the consistent "buttonology" across the fleet of planes.

I cancelled my account just after the "incident" with the B-29 earlier today  :) Now it's back to X-Plane/DCS/IL-2 for good, even though I would rather prefer AH due to the mentioned reasons. But, those other sims will do just fine, they have done so before also. They have their own good points, and they don't slap me in the face with tons of anti-fun the few times I simply want to have fun.

I wish all the best for AH and it's crew :aok I hope they get it back on some viable track before it is too late.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2020, 06:13:18 PM »
Here's hoping you reconsider after giving it some thought. It's not like this community didn't respond and offer you good advice and even an opportunity to wing up.  :cheers:

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2020, 06:43:53 PM »
Here's hoping you reconsider after giving it some thought. It's not like this community didn't respond and offer you good advice and even an opportunity to wing up.  :cheers:

Most of you just talked down to him. Your solutions to help him were "Well dont do that!"

In the old days, you let Skuzzy know which map, which field and direction and he got the trees removed from that runway.

Offline Hotstuff

• Zinc Member
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2020, 06:55:43 PM »
Most of you just talked down to him. Your solutions to help him were "Well dont do that!"

In the old days, you let Skuzzy know which map, which field and direction and he got the trees removed from that runway.

Thanks Fugitive for joining in.

I can see if there's some technical reason why trees can be in some random parts of runways and it would take a lot of work to take out, and it's not a priority right now, I don't have an inside view of how this game is run and managed. But there's simply no excuse to rationalize away BLOODY TREES at the end of a runway that would take some bored airmen not all that long to take care of, or at least chop down.  :bhead