Author Topic: Trees at the end of the runway  (Read 7043 times)

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
Re: Trees at the end of the runway
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2020, 06:59:38 PM »
Same map, same field, same direction - 40 500 lb. bombs and 75% fuel

Figured I'd try at 100% fuel (though that seems like overkill):

Same map, same field, same direction - 40 500 lb. bombs and 100 fuel

Even so, I wouldn't select that field on that map for a strat run (but I hardly do strat runs - town bombing yields higher points [at least that's what I've found]).

That tail strike.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Hotstuff

• Zinc Member
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2020, 07:02:37 PM »
That tail strike.

This game forces you to do silly stuff to avoid palm trees lol :D

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2020, 07:08:09 PM »
Here’s another stupid one, spawn into a 21 on Baltic from a 16. you’re on a steep incline of a mountain with rocks for surface. That spawn is useless.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2020, 07:10:17 PM »
Most of you just talked down to him. Your solutions to help him were "Well dont do that!"

In the old days, you let Skuzzy know which map, which field and direction and he got the trees removed from that runway.

Since when? I'm wondering about the way you 'remember' things quite often. And 'talked down to him?' Seriously? Disagreeing or having a different pov on who is or isn't 'to blame' (if you can remember, he came here to blame someone and many of us merely offered him a different perspective to consider) - those responses are anything but 'talking down to someone.' Members of the community gave him some sincere advice on how not to lose those B-29 perks. This wasn't an issue requiring your defense of someone being maligned.

Now .... ahem.

No auto-takeoff, no external view, even. Offered as a mere example of how AH players 'can do' the full realism (probably aided by my dial-up analog AW days):

Example once again offered .... so is the offer to wing together in buffs and have lots of fun in AHIII.

If this isn't good enough, Fugi, have a fit in this thread about how mean and awful I treated the OP.  :D

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2020, 07:16:52 PM »
This game forces you to do silly stuff to avoid palm trees lol :D
Is it any more silly than dive-bombing sets of Lancasters or Fw 190Ds pulling 10Gs while stick stirring?
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2020, 07:41:04 PM »
Since when? I'm wondering about the way you 'remember' things quite often. And 'talked down to him?' Seriously? Disagreeing or having a different pov on who is or isn't 'to blame' (if you can remember, he came here to blame someone and many of us merely offered him a different perspective to consider) - those responses are anything but 'talking down to someone.' Members of the community gave him some sincere advice on how not to lose those B-29 perks. This wasn't an issue requiring your defense of someone being maligned.

Now .... ahem.

No auto-takeoff, no external view, even. Offered as a mere example of how AH players 'can do' the full realism (probably aided by my dial-up analog AW days):

Example once again offered .... so is the offer to wing together in buffs and have lots of fun in AHIII.

If this isn't good enough, Fugi, have a fit in this thread about how mean and awful I treated the OP.  :D

I couldnt find the Skuzzy one I was thinking of, but this one works too.

https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,380847.msg5072821.html#msg5072821

Everytime someone comes in with any kind of complaint a number of you feel the need to point out how wrong they are and there is nothing wrong with the game. Well your wrong.

A better way to handle it may have been to just have him send a note to Hitech and ask him to check it out, and then drop it. If a person has a complaint, to them its important. All you guys seem to try to do is brush it off and make them feel like they have wasted their time. In this case the player decided he didnt get an answer he could live with and canceled his subscription. With the low numbers, we cant afford to chase ANY player away?

I believe its called deplomacy. A little hand holding may go a long way in keeping some of these players who are leaving.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2020, 07:46:32 PM »
I could have swore I saw a video somewhere of somebody taking a B29 off a carrier.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2020, 07:56:19 PM »
I could have swore I saw a video somewhere of somebody taking a B29 off a carrier.

Well, I dunno. You can't spawn one offline on a flattop in AHIII. Maybe it was allowed (by mistake) back when the 29 was first introduced. Even then, it's hard for me to picture unless there was somehow a bow wind of 100 mph or more. :)

Edit: I could spawn one (disable formation) but the wingspan was too wide.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 08:04:49 PM by Arlo »

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2020, 08:08:23 PM »

https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,380847.msg5072821.html#msg5072821

Everytime someone comes in with any kind of complaint a number of you feel the need to point out how wrong they are and there is nothing wrong with the game. Well your wrong.

A better way to handle it may have been to just have him send a note to Hitech and ask him to check it out, and then drop it. If a person has a complaint, to them its important. All you guys seem to try to do is brush it off and make them feel like they have wasted their time. In this case the player decided he didnt get an answer he could live with and canceled his subscription. With the low numbers, we cant afford to chase ANY player away?

I believe its called deplomacy. A little hand holding may go a long way in keeping some of these players who are leaving.
Nope...that ain't it.

I think there were multiple people in this thread who have agreed that the trees at the end of the runway are a problem, nobody is telling him that he is straight wrong, moronic, idiotic. The fact of the matter is the guy lost 3 B29s due to trees, what we are trying to do is what WE CAN DO to not have that happen in the future. That is educate someone on best practices on how to roll heavy bombers, how to roll perk planes, how to avoid ground obstacles while flying. Unfortunately I myself cannot remove trees from runways, so I do what I can to help otherwise.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2020, 08:20:22 PM »

Every time someone comes in with any kind of complaint a number of you feel the need to point out how wrong they are and there is nothing wrong with the game. Well (you're) wrong.

A better way to handle it may have been to just have him send a note to Hitech and ask him to check it out, and then drop it. If a person has a complaint, to them its important. All you guys seem to try to do is brush it off and make them feel like they have wasted their time. In this case the player decided he didn't get an answer he could live with and canceled his subscription. With the low numbers, we cant afford to chase ANY player away?

I believe its called (diplomacy). A little hand holding may go a long way in keeping some of these players who are leaving.

He wasn't chased off. AAMOF, his last post indicated that he cancelled his account shortly after crashing those B-29s. Now, if you want, maybe everyone on the forum can designate you to be the one member to handle every complaint of this nature with kid gloves. Obviously it takes more than advice and an offer to wing up. You, my friend, can just paste HTC's contact email and we'll see if that's considered the correct community response from now on.  :D

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2020, 08:23:13 PM »
The B29 film showed the wheel at the very edge of the deck because I remember they mentioned an area where the wheel would not be on the deck. Man, I gotta find that film

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2020, 08:34:19 PM »
Wasn't there a mission many moons ago that saw about 10-15 players go pop on a hillside in buffs shortly after t/o?

I remember that.  The guy who filmed it was flying parallel to the field, perhaps 5k up.  He started laughing as, one after another, the B29s crashed into a hill as they attempted to take off.  The odd thing was the lemming aspect of it - even though they could see what was happening, people kept rolling their perk planes.

- oldman

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2020, 08:37:40 PM »
There are bombers that give really good returns on perks. The Boston is one. Using it and surviving might be the hardest part.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2020, 08:37:51 PM »
The B29 film showed the wheel at the very edge of the deck because I remember they mentioned an area where the wheel would not be on the deck. Man, I gotta find that film

Beyond my meager 'skills.' Maybe 999000 can. But if not, I'd be content that there are practical limitations.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2020, 08:38:19 PM »
Yes I know. Lots of large fields eats B-29s for breakfast (which is stupid enough as it is). But, this particular field is just way over the top. A runway that practically extends out into the sea, and there are trees at the end? In real life, if aircraft were based on an airfield (which usually is where aircraft are based), there would be no bloody trees practically on the runway threshold.

Reading the posts her, I don't know what is most at odd; trees on the runway threshold, or people actually defending trees on the runway threshold as something a "pilot" should be aware of  :headscratch:

I believe that this map was an automatic conversion from it's Ah2 version to the current version. Several maps were done this way. Because I still have AH2 installed for some reason, I decided to check out the layout of A82 SW on the Ah2 Grinder map. There is nothing but sandy beach on the original. Therefore, it was the auto conversion to an Ah3 terrain that put the trees there. It was not the conscious decision of a person to put trees in the path of your precious B-29's.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com