Author Topic: To all you forum flyers  (Read 4878 times)

Offline Litjan

• Zinc Member
Re: To all you forum flyers
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2020, 06:55:02 AM »
People playing choose how to play. AVA has 2 sides and no one goes there. The main arena has a little of everything. It is your choice where you want to be in that equation. If you want to force others into yours.... think about you being forced into thiers.

Donīt want to force anyone to do anything. The main arena is like you said - thats why I donīt enjoy it and cancelled my subscription.

AVA is empty --- because it is empty. If it wasnīt empty and boring I would definitely fly there and pay 50$/month without cringing.

The OP was asking what it would take to get us "Forum fliers" (= people that obviously loved this game very much once, but donīt play it anymore) to play again.
The dwindling numbers seem to be a widespread concern for many, not so for a few who just brush it off and want everything to stay the way it is. To those I say: Enjoy your Main Arena!

Cheers, Jan

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2020, 12:36:43 PM »
Obviously you are not flying and have no idea what the numbers are doing. They have been climbing slowly. Many know this but there are those no longer in game who have no idea.

Enjoy visiting the boards of the game and community we support.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 12:38:15 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2020, 01:29:56 PM »
I reupped my subscription yesterday and I am already contemplating terminating it again. Honestly there just aren't enough players to have what I consider good battles (everyone's opinion of "good battles" is different.) On Friday night I joined the bomber mission that was put on and that was pretty fun but there was quite a lack of enemy engagement. Today I logged on to see the Bish with 40 player to the knit and rook 21 and 19 respectively. The Bish simply out number the other two teams and start efficiently steam rolling bases. There is no way to defend them when they are all working together and the other two teams are spread thin. I spent some time defending and logged off. I even got called a feminine hygiene product by someone I've never heard of nor remember their name because I had the audacity to fly a Fi-56 and spot/mark incoming GVs for the one or two people that actually were trying to defend a port at the time. It's pretty crazy that I find more maturity playing fortnite with my 10 and 7 year olds than I find in this game of "adults." I'll see how the next few days go but I'm not that optimistic to be honest.     
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 01:31:34 PM by SilverZ06 »

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2020, 01:38:14 PM »
Good Post\Question. :salute

I'd come back if AI planes were introduced into the MA

Great idea.  :aok

+1
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2020, 03:36:39 PM »
I reupped my subscription yesterday and I am already contemplating terminating it again. Honestly there just aren't enough players to have what I consider good battles (everyone's opinion of "good battles" is different.) On Friday night I joined the bomber mission that was put on and that was pretty fun but there was quite a lack of enemy engagement. Today I logged on to see the Bish with 40 player to the knit and rook 21 and 19 respectively. The Bish simply out number the other two teams and start efficiently steam rolling bases. There is no way to defend them when they are all working together and the other two teams are spread thin. I spent some time defending and logged off. I even got called a feminine hygiene product by someone I've never heard of nor remember their name because I had the audacity to fly a Fi-56 and spot/mark incoming GVs for the one or two people that actually were trying to defend a port at the time. It's pretty crazy that I find more maturity playing fortnite with my 10 and 7 year olds than I find in this game of "adults." I'll see how the next few days go but I'm not that optimistic to be honest.   

Welcome back, SilverZ06, sorry you had that experience.
Yeah, the hording happens with all sides when/if they get enough numbers.  I experienced it the other night, well, two days in a row, and while the perk planes are cheap, other than that it gets real old, real fast.
Anytime someone starts name calling like you describe, hit ". report" and that will give HiTech a heads up.  He does care about behavior in the arenas, we don't always see what he does in his role.  Had a run in with someone a couple months back, sent an email to HTC, talked with Dale on the phone, haven't seen that person in the arenas since then.
It's nice to see familiar names giving the game another go, even if only for a short while.  I hope that you won't consider your experience the other night to be the norm.  There are really fun nights (speaking for myself only) and other nights I spend maybe half an hour in the MA and find it to be not what I want to deal with at that time, and I log off and find something else to do.  Give it a chance, please, a week or two at least, before you pull the plug on the game.
For myself, I refuse to fly WITH or AGAINST a horde.  Just doesn't appeal to me.  Don't know if that sentiment was what you were alluding to, but if so, I agree.
To the other forum flyers, while it would be great to see old faces back in the game, if it doesn't appeal to you, that is okay, too.  Talked with Dale on the phone last week about pulling the plug myself, as 19 years in a game is a LONG time, and after a while, almost any game loses it's appeal.  A lot of things that I see in game that bother me NOW, didn't bother me in the least back in 2000, or even 2004............but now, I find them irritating and make me look for entertainment elsewhere.  Funny how that works..........fun when you are younger, not at all fun when you put on a few years............

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2020, 05:36:25 PM »
I usually take a break from time to time based on life but I've never got "bored" of the game. Maybe I'm just weird?

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2020, 10:16:55 PM »
I usually take a break from time to time based on life but I've never got "bored" of the game. Maybe I'm just weird?

I rarely get bored with it either, been playing on and off since AOL Air Warrior days.  But I am a WW2 aviation addict and have a lot of other things going on to occupy my time and even though I only fly fighters in game, I rarely have big enough chunks of time to play enough to get bored with Aces High.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2020, 12:33:48 AM »

I rarely get bored with it either, been playing on and off since AOL Air Warrior days.  But I am a WW2 aviation addict and have a lot of other things going on to occupy my time and even though I only fly fighters in game, I rarely have big enough chunks of time to play enough to get bored with Aces High.

Agreed. I have been playing for 20 years. This is the only game I play and Im still into this game. The only problem I have is the way the game is played these days. Far too many players avoid a fight. Sad as planes are unlimited with the $15 subscription.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2020, 02:30:24 AM »
Far too many players avoid a fight.

A sign of the times I am afraid.  I have been putting my money into World of Warships and there is a healthy contingent in there that are scared to get the paint scraped.  It confuses and frustrates me and I would love to blame the young kids for growing up being told that everyone is a winner but AH is not filled with young people it is filled with old farts so why they worry so much about losing a fight is beyond me.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2020, 06:29:32 AM »
When was you last AcesHigh sortie?
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2020, 07:48:25 AM »
A sign of the times I am afraid.  I have been putting my money into World of Warships and there is a healthy contingent in there that are scared to get the paint scraped.  It confuses and frustrates me and I would love to blame the young kids for growing up being told that everyone is a winner but AH is not filled with young people it is filled with old farts so why they worry so much about losing a fight is beyond me.

Exactly. They all just want to hide in video games nowadays. In Aces High you cannot hide.
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2020, 08:14:50 AM »
What HiTech stated about friends made during participation and competition, friendly competition is a factor for many of us.  Some of us came from AW and Gamestorm.  A lot of us did meet in person.

Some of us attended Air Warrior conventions hosted by members of the Community. We met in person at these conventions.  Indy at 2K was a fun one.  Jordi organized it and did a great job.  A lot of friends from Air warrior I miss a great deal.

Some of them have passed such as Whels/Wheels in AW real name Mike Koon.  1colo, Rick Sype, my wingman for a lot of years in AW who also passed.  I see a lot of old AW participants in Aces High that I got to know very well from flying with them in AW many years ago.  TC, The Fugitive, 1ijac, MaX, et al.  Westy...miss that guy he was a lot of fun and highly opinionated and so it goes.  I used to wingup a lot with old squads from AW, The Damned and the MOL just to name a few.  I even remember the first squad I was a member of many years ago in AW. The Warthogs of C-Land.

I have made a lot of friends I miss in AH that no longer participate.  Wilbuz, Apar, Saw, RAM..we used to fight one another and laugh.  We'd wing together in AW.  Hell..YUCCA, I and Wilbuz would fly together at times.  It's the Community that keeps me young.......and the fun is still there at times.  Don't be absorbed by how someone plays the game.  It's a choice that everyone has a right to do when they sign up to play.  Don't take the game seriously.  Key word is GAME.  Have fun is the key.  You can do it YOUR way.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2020, 04:38:46 PM »
I'm on a break now... check the boards everyday
 :salute
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2020, 05:57:54 AM »
Always too many fights or not enough for some. Depends on the day and/or night.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2020, 07:05:00 AM »
What would it take to get you back in the game. (I mean the ones that post here but don't play)

1. Free Time
2. Player created missions

i want to play now. but i have to werk.  If i did log in, it would probably end the same.  "oh that would be fun! we could do this! anyone? anyone?.....is anyone even out there?..."