Author Topic: Plane Size , Flight Model and Horizon Shading  (Read 1947 times)

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
Plane Size , Flight Model and Horizon Shading
« on: January 25, 2000, 11:43:00 AM »
     Now that we're gonna be payin' fer it soon I'd like to take this opportunity to air some of the ideas I'd like to see implemented if technically feasible.  The first being plane size, their just too damn small running 800x600.  They need to be 20%larger in my estimation to even approach realistic scale.  When runnin 640x480, their better, but the game runs like garbage in that resolution.  I get 10 to 15 better frame rates runnin 800x600 and I would guess that the vast majority of AH players are running 800x600 or higher.  The staff at AH has done a wonderfull job with the damage graphics, pieces flying off, flames, smoke ect., it's just a shame that we can't see it clearer. I think that increasing plane size is most important idea mentioned here.
     Now I realize that increasing plane size makes them easier to hit so I would suggest a corresponding reduction in leathality.  It might not be so bad to have to keep guns on target a little longer to get a good kill, and anything that reduces all that head on nonsense would be a welcome change in my book    
     Either I'm getting much better at this game or the flight model's been dumbed down a bit.  I fly this game for one reason only, realist flight model.  I want as close to real life as I can get were flight model is concerned.  I realize the guys at AH need to make a buck and they need this game to appeal to as many people as possible to do that. If dumbing down the flight model will draw in paying dweebs, so be it.  Put'em in another arena if possible but keep the one I'm flying in as real as possible please  
     Quite frankly, the horizon looks fake as hell and completely ruins the illusion of depth.  It gets worse the higher u fly.  I feel like I'm flying in a large blue fish bowl.  I think we need to increase the view to the horzon some.  I realize frame rates will take a hit but their are keys built into the game to reduce visible area, the guys with the lesser machines can use those.  
     I've already brought this up in the arena with HT and Pyro and I understand their working on it, but I wonder how many other players feel the same way so I'm gonna toss it out fer discussion if anyone's interested.  When one is in an aircraft or even on a hill, when looking at the horizon it appears whiter towards the horizon and goes deeper blue as you move your gaze skyward. As old as it is, I think Air Warrior has got it about as right as you can where this is concerned.  I'd like to see something similiar implemented here if possible.  On occasion, some white mist in the valley's wouldn't hurt  
     To me these are basic issues.  Having more planes is nice, but we have a pretty good basic plane set here already, I'd like to see more emphasis placed on the ideas mentioned above.  
  Regardless of whether these ideas are ever implemented, thanks for a great game HT.

CRASH

[This message has been edited by CRASH (edited 01-25-2000).]

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2000, 12:12:00 PM »
screeeeeechh!

An old soldier drags and easy chair closer to the fire, settles in, opens a beer and gets ready to enjoy the re-fighting of THIS old battle <G>.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

funked

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2000, 02:40:00 PM »
Need better horizon!!!!!!!!!!

Offline fats

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2000, 03:00:00 PM »
Oh no not the plane size question again! Maybe there ought to be a FAQ on the web site, explaining that they are _correct_ and 'this' is the reason why...

//fats

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2000, 03:21:00 PM »
Mathematically correct, fats, mathematically correct. <BFG>
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2000, 10:36:00 AM »
Crash:
 The current field of view (FOV) depicted in AH is 90 degrees without any zoom. To approach realistic scale you have to sit so close to the screen that it occupies 90 degrees of your FOV. The simple calculation shows that you have to sit 8 inches from your  21 inch screen to see everythin realistically sized. Since the normal distance you would sit from your screen is about 22 inches, you see everything 44% of the actual size.
 You can set your zoom to x2 to still see everything 100%, but then you will only see 1/4 of the picture (area is proportional to the square, remember). That will affect your situational awareness (SA) dead.
 Your choices - bigger screen (50 inch viewed from the same distance will do the trick), VR glasses, Fresnel lense.

Another point.
 The planes seem to small to you, so you have problem hitting them. Since even in AH the planes look pretty big from 200 yards - the distance where you should fire at.
You probably open fire from too far when you can barely see the enemy plane - 400 yards or more.
 If the planes are made bigger, and bullets weaker, you will still be opening fire when you can barely see the plane, now at 600 yards and with weaker bullets. So you will have even worth results! So you will want the plane even bigger and bullets more potent. And so on.
 This is not a Jet sim with a BVR combat. You have to get real close. Close enough to target a specific part of the enemy plane - 200 yards and under. It is very difficult to do - you need to match speeds with the enemy to stay in range enough time to make a good shot and not collide, but you may not want to blow the energy advantage. That is why we have all those tricks like high yo-yo's and barrel rols and displacement rolls that allow you to fly faster then the bandit and still control your rate of closure. With prop planes you have to outfly the enemy before you can shoot him down. It will take you a few months of dilligent study and practice, so you have exiting time ahead of you.
 Good luck!
miko--

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2000, 10:46:00 AM »
Miko,

What of fighter and bomber "dots" that are exactly the same size at longer ranges?

How does it affect game SA if you can't distinguish between a bomber and a fighter (even when using zoom)at a range that would easily allow this identification in RL?

..Toad whistles as he stirs the pot <G>.....

Shacker

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2000, 11:04:00 AM »
"Flight Model"

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe one day it can evolve into something that can actually be called a 'flight model'

Have fun in the aracde kiddies

out

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2000, 11:37:00 AM »
>What of fighter and bomber "dots" that are
>exactly the same size at longer ranges?

That is a little thing in computer graphics called the "aliasing" effect.

The problem is that a pixel is only so small.  it can't get any smaller.  So if you have an object you wish to render, and it is smaller than a pixel, you have to use a whole pixel if you want to represent it at all.  So if a b17, when rendered on the projection plane, would take up 100% of a pixel, and a fighter aircraft when rendered would take up 0.25% of a pixel, and a Mitchell would take up 0.75% of a pixel then you have to use a single pixel to represent them all.  Which makes them all look the same size at distance where their angular size resolves to a pixel or less.

Now there are a couple of ways to approach this problem.  You can write the engine so that nothing is rendered unless it resolves a full pixel or more.  In that case the b17 would show up as a pixel and the nearby fighters and Mitchell would not render at all.  the other way to handle this is to add the con's pixel color to the background color in proportion to the % of the pixel it would occupy.   So if the con dot color was black and the sky was white (work with me here)  then the b17 would render as a solid black dot, the Mitchell as a 75% grey dot and the fighter as a %25 grey dot.  This can be used to simulate rendering objects at higher than the physical resolution of the display device.

I'm sure they will add bells and whistles like these eventually.  Until then just head towards the dots.  Theres bound to be something there worth killing. ;>

Regards,
Wab

[This message has been edited by AKWabbit (edited 01-26-2000).]
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2000, 12:06:00 PM »
Toad, you've still got me stitches after 5+ years with your little <stories> within the posts! LOL!

------------------
Brian "Ripsnort" Nelson
+JG2+ ~Richthofen~
"There is no reason anyone would
want a computer in their home."
   Ken Olson, president, chairman and
founder of Digital Equipment Corp.,1977

Offline dolomite

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2000, 12:53:00 PM »

Originally posted by Shacker:
"Flight Model"

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe one day it can evolve into something that can actually be called a 'flight model'

Have fun in the aracde kiddies

out

Sorry the B17 doesn't meet your requirements. Be a good boy and go away now.

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2000, 02:32:00 PM »
<<Another point.
The planes seem to small to you, so you have problem hitting them. Since even in AH the planes look pretty big from 200 yards - the distance where you should fire at.
You probably open fire from too far when you can barely see the enemy plane - 400 yards or more>>

I dont have any problem at all hitting from 400yds, hell, half my kills are longer than that.  I love long range shots  ...anyway, I know that it's correct when a 90degree field of vision is considered..just think it's a shame to hide all those great graphics.
CRASH

Offline jmccaul

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2000, 03:14:00 PM »
Shaker :

Ok can you please now answer my question in thread "B17 flight model"

Or are you going to continue to not back up your statements  

P.S. the relevant bit is near the bottom of the thread.

[This message has been edited by jmccaul (edited 01-26-2000).]

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2000, 04:38:00 PM »
Hey Shacker....

This quote look familiar...it should, you posted it on another forum...

We must all remember that everyones opinion is valuable. Just because we disagree does not mean the other individual is an idiot.

Is it do as I say, and not as I do that applies here??

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2000, 04:50:00 PM »

Originally posted by Cobra:
Hey Shacker....

This quote look familiar...it should, you posted it on another forum...

We must all remember that everyones opinion is valuable. Just because we disagree does not mean the other individual is an idiot.

Is it do as I say, and not as I do that applies here??

By the way, glad to see you still are interested enough to care  

Actually, I never had a problem with your technical critiques, Shacker. I did feel the condencending tone hurt your points a little.  But this last post was completely childish.