Author Topic: The future of the game: let's help write it  (Read 12255 times)

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
The future of the game: let's help write it
« on: July 21, 2020, 12:16:00 AM »
So I've been thinking a bit about the future of this game. Where it started, how it evolved, where we are now, who the audience is, how to breathe new life into the player base, and where it goes from here.

Disclaimer: I, nor anyone else, are soothsayers about the future - most if not all of this will turn out to be incorrect, but I hope a version with echos of these ideas emerges. All of this is discussion, and intended to formulate some ideas about how to ensure the next 20 years of Aces High.

This game started, and I believe still is, one of the premier flight simulators for WWII aircraft ever developed. It has remained that way, and like good fine wine it has gotten mostly better with age. New planes, new graphics, etc. etc. It has evolved over the years multiple times, and the thing that gets me most excited is the step into VR (which I just started last night, and have to say. omg wow.).

Here we are now: 100-200 players average per evening, US time zone. A decent scenario corps, with events drawing 40-60. A solid player base of mostly older (sorry!) players, that tends to like the tried and true methods this game offers. But what are we missing? New, fresh ideas. New players. New horizons and new campaigns to be written with a massive player base. How do we attract new players?

Hmmm... I think gamers today value speed, ease of use, and a fun-fresh experience. Think of the popularity of Fortnight, Call of Duty, Clash of Clans, Halo, etc. Those games have quick, robust multiplayer experiences. There are other games with much deeper experiences: Minecraft, name-your-RPG, and others. Why does Aces High not merit more attention?

How do we attract new players? How do we train and keep new talent in-game? How do we keep people coming back for fresh experiences (not just the Bish-Rook-Nit war that ends with 20 perks in your account, woohoo! It's always fought the same way and won the same way, endless melee).

My thesis: what if...there were a matchmaking server. And what if it matched players of similar skill (a la a Clash of Clans match), and what if it dropped you right into the action (Halo, CoD) on a map with other similar players; and how about letting you choose your ride, but 'skilling up' to unlock others? What if there were a pipeline that allowed you more access and eventually gets you to the MA, where the battle is always raging? What if there were new ways to honor achievements and recognize that building of skill? What about a more dynamic experience that is actually based on your game rank (again, any online competitive ranking/matching multiplayer)?

Are these things doable with this current platform? Maybe, maybe not. Does the player base want a new, fresh experience? Is there even a snowball's chance that Dale/HiTech and co. even want to try this? Is it technically feasible with the software and code that developed over 20 years?

All questions I'd love to ponder with this community. Let's keep this thing going, I can't bear to see it go the way of the dodo simply because of the intransigence of the community. If we want to see an evolution/revolution, we've got to talk about it and provide feedback! Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
AKSpnDoc
Spin Doc's Aces High VR Video channel! https://youtu.be/BKk7_OOHkgI

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: The future of the game: let's help write it
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 02:48:32 AM »
Is it worth losing the the game to take a chance?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 03:31:38 AM »
There is a matchmaking server called match play already in the game..

Also, is it really a good idea to split the playerbase up by skill, lowering the numbers in a map/server even further? Considering a lot of gripes point at/to "low numbers".
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 05:54:25 AM »
VR in AH3 is the best a2a WW2 combat sim experience going today IMO!

I have tried them all.

HT has combined the perfect balance btwn game play and realism for an online sim.

Ping me if you see me in MA and would like to take a spin in the dueling arena.

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 07:46:47 AM »
See rule #4
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 08:37:26 AM by hitech »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 08:40:07 AM »
The essence of what you describe is being tried in War Online Pacific. WOP allows me to experiment with other methods of game play with out change the core game play of AH.

HiTech

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 08:44:26 AM »
A decent scenario corps, with events drawing 40-60.

Friday Squad Ops draws twice that many players with 130-140 every Friday night.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 08:48:33 AM »
The essence of what you describe is being tried in War Online Pacific. WOP allows me to experiment with other methods of game play with out change the core game play of AH.

HiTech
Doesn’t seem to be enough traffic in there to get a real feeling for changes does it?  Also the game play is quite a bit different in there than AH.

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 08:49:54 AM »

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 09:09:33 AM »

HiTech

All, thanks for your ideas. It's helpful to see what people are thinking.

HiTech: first, I/all of us really appreciate how approachable you are and that you make yourself available to interact with the player base! I will check out that game, I'm interested to see what the matchmaking setup it like. Did you develop it based on all the same flight models we expect from AHIII?

Truly, I want to see Aces High continue and flourish. I've been playing since late 2000/early 2001 and am now just beginning to be able to teach my kids how to fly and play. We just got a VR setup, and the immersion is absolutely revolutionary. Now imagine I can strap the kiddo into a hi-octane plane and set him up instantly with players of his skill level. That sounds like an awesome combo. I'll experiment with the matchmaking mode and see what it yields.

Thanks again all for making this such an incredible community to be a part of.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 09:22:18 AM by SpinDoc1 »
AKSpnDoc

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2020, 09:20:00 AM »
Is it worth losing the the game to take a chance?

-- Not my game, and so that it up to the owner/chief coder :-) I think an argument can be made that updates and enhancements could add a 'fresh' look for newer players

There is a matchmaking server called match play already in the game..

Also, is it really a good idea to split the playerbase up by skill, lowering the numbers in a map/server even further? Considering a lot of gripes point at/to "low numbers".

-- I'm going to try the match play, will post back on results. I agree that a player split would be bad with low numbers, but if we want to keep newer players in-game, rather than drumming them out by constant unskilled death, then something may need to change.

VR in AH3 is the best a2a WW2 combat sim experience going today IMO!

I have tried them all.

HT has combined the perfect balance btwn game play and realism for an online sim.

Ping me if you see me in MA and would like to take a spin in the dueling arena.

<S>

Eagler

-- Good sentiment. I'd love to meet up for a duel sometime! I'll find ya.
AKSpnDoc

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2020, 10:02:45 AM »
Also the game play is quite a bit different in there than AH.

That is the point, to try different game play then AH, like the OP suggested.

HiTech

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2020, 11:54:48 AM »
Doesn’t seem to be enough traffic in there to get a real feeling for changes does it?  Also the game play is quite a bit different in there than AH.

It will be. The game is different.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2020, 02:28:31 PM »
It will be. The game is different.
Again the numbers seem to low to compare WOP to AH. Why not try some simple changes like wide switch timer being lowered or base capture cap for severely low numbered sides first?  Most of the day it seems one side out numbers the other two almost two to one. The. The rest of the day the other side is double teamed for the duration of “happy hour”. Those seem like simple test beds that could be changed to see if it has an effect on game play. I dont think many have an actual issue with the game it’s more game play they have an issue with.

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2020, 03:13:38 PM »
I fear , the game is being lost and nothing is going to change that, unless something big happens.