Author Topic: The future of the game: let's help write it  (Read 12764 times)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Re: The future of the game: let's help write it
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2020, 07:07:00 AM »
Are new maps being created these days by anyone for MA?

Smaller maps, harder to capture bases - whatever that takes would help.

If we keep these bigger maps the numbers need to be increased with AI driven offensive and defensive, aerial and ground actions to provide something to shoot at without having to fly around for 15 minutes first.

I made a new map designed for small numbers, "NORTHCO".  It has three isolated center bases for furballing that should be very difficult to capture and a remote "tank town" separated from bomb****s.   I didn't include fleets so that there would be less sneaking and more head-to-head fights, but some players were very unhappy about that.  The map only lasted for 1 hour the first time it was played, and about 6 hours the second time.  I didn't count on two sides attacking the least populated side and ignoring each other -- what was I thinking?   :D

I am in the process of making another small-numbers map and will try to avoid the same mistakes (but probably find new ones).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 07:08:57 AM by popeye »
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2020, 07:19:07 AM »
Thanks popeye!

Is the othermap still in rotation?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2020, 07:23:18 AM »
As far as I know, it is still in rotation.  You can download it for "Offline Practice".
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2020, 08:52:56 AM »
Are new maps being created these days by anyone for MA?

Smaller maps, harder to capture bases - whatever that takes would help.

If we keep these bigger maps the numbers need to be increased with AI driven offensive and defensive, aerial and ground actions to provide something to shoot at without having to fly around for 15 minutes first.

<S>

Eagler

The newest small map lasted a very short time. I never saw it but I did see folks post about it.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2020, 11:44:18 AM »
IMO, maps being turned quickly isnt a bad thing. Maps that stay up for 3-5 days are the ones that are too big. Players like me typically get bored playing on the same map for a week. With maps that turn quickly, it allows the players currently in the game to have a chance to win a map. Team coordination is much more meaningful.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #110 on: July 30, 2020, 11:49:53 AM »
IMO, maps being turned quickly isnt a bad thing. Maps that stay up for 3-5 days are the ones that are too big. Players like me typically get bored playing on the same map for a week. With maps that turn quickly, it allows the players currently in the game to have a chance to win a map. Team coordination is much more meaningful.

Maps bore you but the fight is the fight. Look for the fight. Use the FORCE....  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #111 on: July 30, 2020, 01:08:56 PM »
Maps bore you but the fight is the fight. Look for the fight. Use the FORCE....  :D

One would have to look at his or her definition of a "fight". 
I look for fights, most of the time I fly a plane that really can't run from a fight, especially from a single engine fighter.
Today, the first time I upped, I got swarmed under by "fighters" on the country that outnumbered both the other sides combined by 50%.
Sure, I could have upped from a base farther back, would have made no difference as at some point "quantity takes on a quality of it's own".
Later on, I saw a single fighter hitting a town, upped a fighter, even flew directly under him to see if he would fight........nope, he "extended" toward his base, and safety.
Saw a bomber approaching a base, took off late, tried to get to his alt...........he ran for home as soon as I got near co alt.
HiTech "could" implement some rules to further encourage players to balance the side, but inevitable there would be those who would threaten to quit............it's a Catch-22 situation I think for him, and ultimately, we, the player base.
I know times change, and while I look back on yesteryear and the fights that took place in the arenas, I've had to admit over the past few months of flying in the arena that those times are gone forever.  The players dictate how gameplay progresses, HT can only do so much.  I have to admit that the style of gameplay I see now isn't what I want to see in a game, or be involved in. 
"The future of the game: let's help write it"..........that starts with policing our own in game behaviors, asking ourselves if said behaviors and tendencies are welcoming to new players. 

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: July 30, 2020, 01:23:50 PM »
I've had to admit over the past few months of flying in the arena that those times are gone forever.

I'm not sure behavior has changed all that much.  Maybe the results of the behavior has.

I think a big driver is the lack of density given map sizes vs player numbers. 
In the prime golden years, there were so many players and so much density that someone trying to run simply ran into someone else and got cut off.

It takes a certain amount of empty space to run successfully.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2020, 01:28:44 PM »
Trips is right with regard to the space thing. In large furballs it was very difficult to run since there were always multi-layered cons constantly arriving and leaving.

Ultimately, players won't change the way they play.

Basically in order to find a half decent fight these days you have to fly a lesser plane to entice people to attack you. Then, if you are decent enough and get an advantage the players will just run away because they have a superior aircraft.

i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2020, 02:23:57 PM »
Trips is right with regard to the space thing. In large furballs it was very difficult to run since there were always multi-layered cons constantly arriving and leaving.

Ultimately, players won't change the way they play.

Basically in order to find a half decent fight these days you have to fly a lesser plane to entice people to attack you. Then, if you are decent enough and get an advantage the players will just run away because they have a superior aircraft.

Yup. And that is precisely why defensive maneuvers to create a counter punch shot is one of the most important things to learn in AH. Unfortunately 98% of the people in the MA don't know what defensive maneuvers are.

One of my biggest issues is that people in uber planes must gang at all cost. I dont know how to solve that issue. Its tough to fly a sector only to get jumped by 3 yak3s and a la7 that can just about catch any plane. Its very tough for players to learn how to not get caught up in that situation. I feel with shoter base distances, your friendlies who died can get back to the fight more quickly which can block the gang. With far bases, your friendlies get killed and you are stuck with the gang. If your friendlies re-roll, they won't get back to you in time. The further the bases, means you have to roll at roughly the same time as your Friendly's or the fights become lopsided which allows the other team to begin hoarding the base. I realize that shutting down the base is necessary to take a base in most cases, but further bases makes it strenuous to want to defend that field from a back field or roll to stop them in time from taking it.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2020, 04:03:15 PM »
One would have to look at his or her definition of a "fight". 
I look for fights, most of the time I fly a plane that really can't run from a fight, especially from a single engine fighter.
Today, the first time I upped, I got swarmed under by "fighters" on the country that outnumbered both the other sides combined by 50%.
Sure, I could have upped from a base farther back, would have made no difference as at some point "quantity takes on a quality of it's own".
Later on, I saw a single fighter hitting a town, upped a fighter, even flew directly under him to see if he would fight........nope, he "extended" toward his base, and safety.
Saw a bomber approaching a base, took off late, tried to get to his alt...........he ran for home as soon as I got near co alt.
HiTech "could" implement some rules to further encourage players to balance the side, but inevitable there would be those who would threaten to quit............it's a Catch-22 situation I think for him, and ultimately, we, the player base.
I know times change, and while I look back on yesteryear and the fights that took place in the arenas, I've had to admit over the past few months of flying in the arena that those times are gone forever.  The players dictate how gameplay progresses, HT can only do so much.  I have to admit that the style of gameplay I see now isn't what I want to see in a game, or be involved in. 
"The future of the game: let's help write it"..........that starts with policing our own in game behaviors, asking ourselves if said behaviors and tendencies are welcoming to new players.

I have seen the same.

There are folks on this board who have all the answers but not all the information.    :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #116 on: July 30, 2020, 05:58:12 PM »
It is great to know some ACM ninja moves for when things get on top of you. But learning those moves should not remove the need for the very basics of virtual dogfighting such as not allowing yourself to get into such a position of disadvantage in the first place. Not unless you want to that is.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2020, 12:17:56 PM »
I made a new map designed for small numbers, "NORTHCO".  It has three isolated center bases for furballing that should be very difficult to capture and a remote "tank town" separated from bomb****s.   I didn't include fleets so that there would be less sneaking and more head-to-head fights, but some players were very unhappy about that.  The map only lasted for 1 hour the first time it was played, and about 6 hours the second time.  I didn't count on two sides attacking the least populated side and ignoring each other -- what was I thinking?   :D

I saw that new map. It’s a great map! However, I saw players pointing out bugs; field guns not working was definitely one issue, I don’t recall at the moment but there were a couple more. HT checked in when that map was up and the issues were brought to his attention. I don’t know of course if he’s working with you to fix it, but I hope to see that map again!  :aok
 :airplane:
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2020, 06:17:00 PM »
One of my biggest issues is that people in uber planes must gang at all cost. I dont know how to solve that issue.

I am still a fan of "Rollin Plane Sets"............. get players out of the Uber stuff for a few weeks.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline Razorbak

• persona non grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2020, 07:01:44 PM »
IMO the games biggest enemy is ht itself,you would think they know their current game model isnt working and its been my experience they wont listen to anything the players have to say so it seems their approach is wait for magic dust to fix the current player levels which is the main reason i left. :bhead I would hope they do something before the game totally goes away because I would love to see 600 players again in two arenas.