Author Topic: August 29th - Target for Today RAF Skins  (Read 746 times)

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
August 29th - Target for Today RAF Skins
« on: July 28, 2020, 04:36:33 PM »
Gentlemen,

Can any of you help with outfitting the brave pilots of the RAF with skins from the following units?

RAF 64 Sqn Spitfire IX

RAF 611 Sqn Spitfire IX

RCAF 401 Sqn Spitfire IX

This is for the Battle of Dieppe at the end of next month. Any time that you could spare on these would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

:pray

:salute

« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 04:39:53 PM by swareiam »
AKWarHwk of the Arabian Knights
Aces High Scenario, FSO, and Combat Challenge Teams
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Re: August 29th - Target for Today RAF Skins
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 04:21:48 AM »
I can skin a 401 Sqn RCAF Spitfire Mk IX Dieppe skin no problem, as there is a reasonable photo of one available. However a search of the internet and my books has yet to turn up a photo of a 64 Squadron one. There's plenty of photos of 64 Sqn Mk IIs and Vs, as well as a few late Mk IXs with 1944 markings, but nothing from 1942. I've asked Lyric1, hopefully he can dig something up.

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 09:30:17 PM »
I can skin a 401 Sqn RCAF Spitfire Mk IX Dieppe skin no problem, as there is a reasonable photo of one available. However a search of the internet and my books has yet to turn up a photo of a 64 Squadron one. There's plenty of photos of 64 Sqn Mk IIs and Vs, as well as a few late Mk IXs with 1944 markings, but nothing from 1942. I've asked Lyric1, hopefully he can dig something up.

Many thanks Greebo!

:salute
AKWarHwk of the Arabian Knights
Aces High Scenario, FSO, and Combat Challenge Teams
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 06:37:44 PM »
Found on another forum of 64 Squadron Spit IX.  These two images are from July 42 so right before Dieppe.  The serial is covered over by the fuselage band.  The initial IXs sent to 64 serials started with BR or BS.  Note the squadron code designation is behind the roundel on both sides, which was rare. 

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 07:00:04 PM »
Found on another forum of 64 Squadron Spit IX.  These two images are from July 42 so right before Dieppe.  The serial is covered over by the fuselage band.  The initial IXs sent to 64 serials started with BR or BS.  Note the squadron code designation is behind the roundel on both sides, which was rare. 

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Couldn't imagine who started that thread.  :devil

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 09:31:36 PM »
Funny how that works :). The info had only been up a couple of hours when I saw the images. So your bait worked  :aok
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 03:36:09 AM »

Thanks for the photos Guppy. Since Lyric1 found the same ones I have been investigating the airframe code. I've seen a few Mk IXs of this period with the code repainted very small between the fuselage band and the fin flash and assumed that's what had happened here. Going through the Spitfire airframe code database I cross referenced 64 Sqn Spit IXs operational during July 42 and found thirteen, one of which is still flying today. However only a few of these thirteen could then be associated with a squadron letter, and none with "N". This does seem to be the only candidate though so I guess I'll just do this one and skip the repainted airframe code. I have just started on the 401 Sqn aircraft and will do this one straight after.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 12:03:37 AM »
Thanks for the photos Guppy. Since Lyric1 found the same ones I have been investigating the airframe code. I've seen a few Mk IXs of this period with the code repainted very small between the fuselage band and the fin flash and assumed that's what had happened here. Going through the Spitfire airframe code database I cross referenced 64 Sqn Spit IXs operational during July 42 and found thirteen, one of which is still flying today. However only a few of these thirteen could then be associated with a squadron letter, and none with "N". This does seem to be the only candidate though so I guess I'll just do this one and skip the repainted airframe code. I have just started on the 401 Sqn aircraft and will do this one straight after.

We can strike "SH.K BS315" off per the thread.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235077745-raf-64-squadron-spitfire-ix/