Author Topic: College football 2020  (Read 27940 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: College football 2020
« Reply #390 on: December 30, 2021, 11:41:04 AM »
Not to start getting frustrated, I understand your guys point of view of what happened to some of the bowl games being canceled and some still going on. But could we change the topic back to the college football playoffs pretty please. I read some of the point of views, and was just wanting to talk about football only. I wanted to mention that Alabama said that they feel like they are underdogs in this game which I consider weird that they have a decent offense, and a good QB. And yet I feel UC is the underdog for this.
MOTIVATION....  :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #391 on: December 31, 2021, 03:47:40 AM »
Actually, the private sector is beating them to the punch there. But they are requiring those with federal contracts to step in line. Not nearly as radical a move as those with a political grudge attempt to paint.

Actually, no.

There are three federal mandates.

First is the big one.  Biden's Executive Order 13999, resulting in OSHA's ETS.  It requires employees at all companies with 100 or more employees to be vaccinated or do weekly Covid tests (among other requirements on staffing, tracking, reporting, etc.).  It is not just federal contractors -- it is all companies with >= 100 employees.

Second is the lesser one you are talking about.  Biden's Executive Order 14042, mandating vaccination for employees of companies that do federal contracting, and I suppose individual federal contractors -- and for all subcontractors (i.e., companies that do work for a contractor but are not themselves contractors).

Third is the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) rule that requires all healthcare workers at CMS-covered health facilities to be vaccinated.

You can read about these three tiers of federal mandates and their current status in the courts here:
https://www.mondaq.com/unitedstates/health-safety/1146090/status-of-federal-vaccine-or-test-mandates

All sides today have "a political grudge" and "attempt to paint" things -- not just the side you don't like.  To get a more-complete view requires reading stuff from both sides.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #392 on: December 31, 2021, 03:56:18 AM »
I watched the Michigan State / Pitt game.  That had some interesting swings and was a game to the end.

I watched some of the Tennessee / Purdue game.  That also was an interesting game right to the end.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #393 on: December 31, 2021, 09:59:40 AM »
Actually, no.

There are three federal 'mandates.'

I pretty much covered those. None of that involves a universal requirement to vaccinate all U.S. citizens like DS wants to pretend. It's a health and wellness issue and even then the public (with the aforementioned exceptions) are left free to be as stupid as they want.  :aok

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #394 on: December 31, 2021, 04:06:18 PM »
Someone for Bama needs to take Cincinatti's 125 lb. punter out.  What a goober.     
“Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.” - Ronald Reagan

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #395 on: December 31, 2021, 06:59:53 PM »
I pretty much covered those.

You partially covered one of them (the smallest):
But they are requiring those with federal contracts to step in line. Not nearly as radical a move as those with a political grudge attempt to paint.

None of that involves a universal requirement to vaccinate all U.S. citizens like DS wants to pretend. It's a health and wellness issue and even then the public (with the aforementioned exceptions) are left free to be as stupid as they want.  :aok

Nope, not up to 100% yet.  But as I pointed out, they are making a good run at it so far.

The existing mandates cover 2/3rds of all workers in the US.
https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2015/econ/g12-susb.pdf

There's one that covers companies.  Tweak it to cover more companies.  There's one that covers health-care workers.  Do one to cover educational workers.  Add one that covers students.  Add one that covers food-service workers.  There's one that covers federal contractors and subcontractors.  Add one that covers companies and people who get government assistance.  Add one that covers companies and people who use any public facilities.  And so on.

I don't feel that any of this is constitutional, and courts are working to decide that issue.

It might turn out, though, that the government drops all of this -- as Omicron might put an end to this zombie apocalypse in the next couple of months.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #396 on: December 31, 2021, 07:01:55 PM »
Just watched the Bearcats sink under the waves after the Crimson Tide rolled in.

They did hold Alabama to not many points for Alabama, though.

On to Michigan vs. Georgia!  Go Blue!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #397 on: December 31, 2021, 10:42:12 PM »
Cincinnati went fairly as expected. They are not used to playing on that level.

I really thought Michigan would put up a bit of a game. Not so in the end.

Ends up just as I called it.... SEC Championship game again.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #398 on: December 31, 2021, 11:01:58 PM »
Alas, my beloved Wolverines were ground into a fine powder and dispersed over the field.

Ah, well -- on to next year!  :aok

Offline LNG15

• Copper Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #399 on: January 01, 2022, 05:47:06 AM »
I am sad UC is out now. I was reading an SI article, and Nick Saban the coach of Bama said quote for quote, that "UC does belong in the playoffs." Coming from a coach who has gotten Bama to many championships, I give him respect seriously.
Be Prepared To "Get Lanced!"

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #400 on: January 01, 2022, 01:08:02 PM »
I am sad UC is out now. I was reading an SI article, and Nick Saban the coach of Bama said quote for quote, that "UC does belong in the playoffs." Coming from a coach who has gotten Bama to many championships, I give him respect seriously.

What was Nick supposed to say?  I'm pretty sure he and Kirby are just happy to have put the formality games behind them so they can once again concentrate on big boy football.  I know this sounds harsh, but Cincinnati exceeding their own expectations does not make them playoff material.  Maybe in an eight team playoff.  Maybe.

Offline LNG15

• Copper Member
« Reply #401 on: January 01, 2022, 01:21:40 PM »
So the way I read it, is this. Big boy teams always will have the best players, and have the huge money they always get. And the formality teams like UC who are small admittedly can be in a 8 game playoff which I get doesn't make them playoff material?

I am just in shock with that. I am like, doesn't anyone remember anything 'could' happen in playoffs or anything in between. Rush I get where you come from that Big Boys get the big bucks and the big admission numbers, but you have to consider on this, small teams who can push as hard as they do want to show their presence. The way you mention it, it's like Saban was saying under his breath that they don't deserve it while actually not saying it during interviews.

I think from here on out, I'm going to now stay out of these type chats since it seems that small teams should have 8 team playoffs, and just stop there.

Only factor I will focus on now is the 'corrupt' NFL with the Burrow/Chase show for a big game for the potential clinching of the AFC North which will be a huge game.

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #402 on: January 01, 2022, 04:10:40 PM »
So the way I read it, is this. Big boy teams always will have the best players, and have the huge money they always get. And the formality teams like UC who are small admittedly can be in a 8 game playoff which I get doesn't make them playoff material?

But we are currently in a four-game format.  I admitted that I might consider them in an eight-game format.  You are correct about Cincinnati being at a disadvantage when it comes to recruiting and money.  The team they put together this season was pretty amazing considering.

I am just in shock with that. I am like, doesn't anyone remember anything 'could' happen in playoffs or anything in between. Rush I get where you come from that Big Boys get the big bucks and the big admission numbers, but you have to consider on this, small teams who can push as hard as they do want to show their presence. The way you mention it, it's like Saban was saying under his breath that they don't deserve it while actually not saying it during interviews.

As I stated above, what is Satan supposed to say?  I completely understand why a team like Cincinnati would want to showcase their talent on the big stage and with an expanded playoff format I would be ok with that. 

I think from here on out, I'm going to now stay out of these type chats since it seems that small teams should have 8 team playoffs, and just stop there.

Under the current format, as long as you are one of the best four teams in the country it doesn't matter how large or small your team's school is.  I think many would agree that the best four teams in the country did not play last night.  I also do not think that my or anyone else's opinion should cause you to leave a chat.  It is just a game, and sports chat/debates are fun.

Only factor I will focus on now is the 'corrupt' NFL with the Burrow/Chase show for a big game for the potential clinching of the AFC North which will be a huge game.

I hate the NFL.   

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #403 on: January 01, 2022, 04:17:34 PM »
Under the current format, as long as you are one of the best four teams in the country it doesn't matter how large or small your team's school is.  I think many would agree that the best four teams in the country did not play last night.  I also do not think that my or anyone else's opinion should cause you to leave a chat.  It is just a game, and sports chat/debates are fun.

I haven't had a chance to start in on Brooke and the B10 yet.   

Offline LNG15

• Copper Member
« Reply #404 on: January 01, 2022, 05:15:16 PM »
I get your POV Rush. I appreciate that. I understand people hate NFL, but ngl.... After the Reds choked a chance for a playoff push, the (NHL) Columbus Blue Jackets are in a new rebuild again. The NFL is really the only thing I could keep a good eye on, because of years of issues with Mike Brown being a cheap owner, and with some of the free agent signings, the Bengals/Bungals (I admit they had terrible years, and one and done wild card games under Marvin Lewis, and Zac Taylor still needs to relay on his Offense Coordinator more than him making the calls.) This year, they may have an honest chance, but have to face the Chiefs tomorrow to hopefully clinch the North.