Author Topic: The Tesla Semi will replace The Diesel Semi  (Read 13935 times)

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
Re: The Tesla Semi will replace The Diesel Semi
« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2021, 03:03:12 PM »
That's a cute fairytale.

What brand EV do you have? Is it really noisy? No torque?

Just curious.

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline BOBO

• Copper Member
« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2021, 06:15:44 AM »
Has anyone in this thread brought up petrochemicals as a reason to continue fueling vehicles and power plants with fossil fuels?

We can't just allow the plastics industry to collapse and pretend that nothing happened.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2021, 02:50:41 PM »
No one wants the plastic industry to disappear. I mean 3d printing is all the rage these days,right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Magnetic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYQ2PiX_Z9o

It's obvious we cant continue down the road we're on so change is coming.Back when horses were the main means of transport I'm sure many thought the automobile was a terrible idea too.

Offline BOBO

• Copper Member
« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2021, 08:08:50 PM »
No one wants the plastic industry to disappear. I mean 3d printing is all the rage these days,right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Magnetic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYQ2PiX_Z9o

It's obvious we cant continue down the road we're on so change is coming.Back when horses were the main means of transport I'm sure many thought the automobile was a terrible idea too.

I'm not against electric cars.  I just think it's silly to think that we can completely do away with something so useful.

I predict that fuel cells will be the future, not batteries.  Toyota has already figured out how to make them affordable and carry enough hydrogen safely to complete with gas burners.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2021, 06:15:49 AM »
120 years ago people thought the horse was the way to go and cars were a fad.  I mean, who would build gas stations or such things.

now we have electric cars and hybrids, while I personally wont buy one now as I think they're too expensive and besides I have nowhere to plug it in.  10 years from now who knows. but one thing to remember oil is not an unlimited resource. eventually we'll have a car that runs on trash like back to the future, who knows.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2021, 08:34:31 AM »
  Weight, cost and battery by product pollution is still a stumbling block for batteries right now. Without subsidies Tesla would never make a dollar. Still a better power plant than the combustion engine is needed and i think ultimately will be the future.
  Imagine tiny fusion reactors? Won’t see it in my life though.
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2021, 11:20:56 AM »
My question for those who dont think we'll go electric is...Why are all the manufacturers going to electric/hybred vehicles?

Sure a hydrogen/fuel cell system would be great,plenty of hydrogen and when you burn it it makes H2O,there are some other concerns.

My other question is..... How many have a cell phone,and if so have you ever used a wireless charger like most new cars have in them these days? Whats to stop us using that same tech to charge as you drive?

Then finally have you ever heard of training? It's where you connect several vehicles together when going in a common direction.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2021, 08:01:55 PM »

My other question is..... How many have a cell phone,and if so have you ever used a wireless charger like most new cars have in them these days? Whats to stop us using that same tech to charge as you drive?

Now that is an interesting idea, to have built into the road a section that would charge as you drive so the huge batteries would not be necessary.
               Only problem is the Guberment can't fill or fix roads now, maybe in a perfect world
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #128 on: April 17, 2021, 12:13:46 AM »
Wires have nearly no resistance, wireless is massively inefficient.  One of the key positives to going to electric drive trains is the more efficient energy usage. If you switch to wireless charging you're throwing away a massive percentage of the efficiency.  People would be justified for once saying that electric is just as bad or worse than gas/diesel, if you charged wirelessly.  Therefore it shouldn't happen, not on roads, not parked in a garage. Wireless charging for big things should never be a reality.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #129 on: April 17, 2021, 01:24:37 AM »
I have an s20 android phone.  it will charge in about 25 minutes.  I bought a phone holder for my car with wireless charger, it's a very expensive phone holder that hardly charges my phone.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #130 on: April 19, 2021, 10:55:09 AM »
Wires have nearly no resistance, wireless is massively inefficient.  One of the key positives to going to electric drive trains is the more efficient energy usage. If you switch to wireless charging you're throwing away a massive percentage of the efficiency.  People would be justified for once saying that electric is just as bad or worse than gas/diesel, if you charged wirelessly.  Therefore it shouldn't happen, not on roads, not parked in a garage. Wireless charging for big things should never be a reality.

While what I know about electricity could be written on the head of a pin there are others out there who know much more than I could ever possibly hope to.These same people claim that electricity is RF based,Tesla the man not the company was clearly able to transmit electricity without wires and over long distances,so while most wireless chargers are not efficient that doesnt mean they have to be.  The biggest problem with it is you cant put a meter on it!!

As I said I know diddley about electricity but if you're so inclined and would like to learn a little check out this guy.... Gerard Morin   Some of the things he does just makes you go .... :headscratch: I watched him use a 1500 watt generator and he powered about 4500 watts or when he transmits electricity from one fan to another without the use of wires and of course all the while explaining how the power companies are taking advantage of us.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #131 on: April 19, 2021, 01:31:21 PM »
Tesla crash killed 2 over the weekend when driverless car plowed into a tree at high rate of speed.

Seems the batteries are a fire issue as they generate their own oxygen.

Car burned for over 4 hours...

Tesla suggests letting them burn out on their own

That doesn't sound practical

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/2-dead-tesla-crash-after-car-no-one-was-driving-n1264470

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #132 on: April 19, 2021, 06:03:54 PM »
I've watched some of gerard morins videos. Before you consider yourself impressed with his "revolutionary" ideas, take a class in basic electricity.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #133 on: April 20, 2021, 04:00:53 PM »
For all you Tesla fanboys...break out your wallets

Too bad you can't retrofit perfectly working diesel International, MAC, or Volvo long haul truck. Cause that would actually be thinking about the environment and not having to buy a new truck to go 'green' when in actual fact, it's just turning you into another sheeple consumer
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2021, 01:25:49 PM »
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)