Author Topic: The Tesla Semi will replace The Diesel Semi  (Read 13700 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: The Tesla Semi will replace The Diesel Semi
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2021, 01:18:49 AM »
No matter what they come up with we are going to need fusion eventually, so why wait?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2021, 04:22:00 PM »

I doubt we will be seeing them lugging up high mountain passes but at least they can recoup. some and it might regen brake better than a jake brake.

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2021, 04:55:45 PM »
I doubt we will be seeing them lugging up high mountain passes but at least they can recoup. some and it might regen brake better than a jake brake.
my cummins Jake works awesome using the dedicated cam .. Honestly more Jake than I need even fully loaded at 82.5k
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2021, 12:25:20 AM »
Nothing is going to out-torque the electric motors on the Tesla Semi, other than maybe another electric semi.  Whatever hill a diesel can get up an electric will do twice as fast, modestly.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2021, 08:38:26 AM »
Nothing is going to out-torque the electric motors on the Tesla Semi, other than maybe another electric semi.  Whatever hill a diesel can get up an electric will do twice as fast, modestly.

Locomotives have been diesel/electric for some time now. WWII subs were the same. The issue with straight electric is you have to make enough electricity, far more than we do now, to supply a public that can run on it. We have issues with the grid now. This would have to be far improved before we can ever move to electric vehicles for the masses. Worrying about the vehicles at this point is like putting the chicken before the egg.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2021, 09:55:11 AM »
Locomotives have been diesel/electric for some time now. WWII subs were the same. The issue with straight electric is you have to make enough electricity, far more than we do now, to supply a public that can run on it. We have issues with the grid now. This would have to be far improved before we can ever move to electric vehicles for the masses. Worrying about the vehicles at this point is like putting the chicken before the egg.

This FUD is no more valid today than it was when it first appeared on this BBS ~ 10 years ago.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2021, 01:39:25 PM »

I hear ya shuff but dinos laid eggs long before the chicken appeared,so the egg came first..... Ah I just answered that age old question.... :devil

:salute

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2021, 01:42:45 PM »
BTW in Canada they've been working on the electric hyway for some time now.

Most the parking spaces downtown in the city I live in have free charging and parking for EV's.I'm hoping to get a PHEV soon,but my honda just wont die.

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2021, 03:45:36 PM »
This FUD is no more valid today than it was when it first appeared on this BBS ~ 10 years ago.

Do you have the background to make such an assumption?

I'm not trying to be offensive, as Ive been accused of in the past, but I would like to know whether a poster actually has a clue about what they are addressing.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2021, 03:57:58 PM »

If your electric company does rolling blackouts in the summer, the infrastructure is not ready.

Imagine the sag from 5:30 to 7:00 when people arrive home from work.

If your model 3 uses the 120V charger at 32 amps, you get 5 miles range charged per hour.

240v charger doubles and almost triples the rate of charge with the requisite KwH draw.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2021, 05:36:41 PM »
BTW in Canada they've been working on the electric hyway for some time now.

Most the parking spaces downtown in the city I live in have free charging and parking for EV's.I'm hoping to get a PHEV soon,but my honda just wont die.

Free... no... you are paying for it and just don't use it yet.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2021, 05:38:58 PM »
If your electric company does rolling blackouts in the summer, the infrastructure is not ready.

Imagine the sag from 5:30 to 7:00 when people arrive home from work.

If your model 3 uses the 120V charger at 32 amps, you get 5 miles range charged per hour.

240v charger doubles and almost triples the rate of charge with the requisite KwH draw.
The grid on the upper east coast is the most susceptible and can cause almost half the US to go black. It has happened before and not much better now.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline TryHard

• Copper Member
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2021, 10:46:10 AM »
Whatever hill a diesel can get up an electric will do twice as fast, modestly.

Until the electric semi truck has to pull over for 10 hours to charge... doesn't seem twice as fast.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2021, 04:29:08 PM »
Until the electric semi truck has to pull over for 10 hours to charge... doesn't seem twice as fast.

So when the Tesla Semi specs are officially announced, and the charge time is a small fraction of 10 hours, you guys will change your mind about it?
Boildown

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2021, 07:11:02 PM »
I'm all for electric as long as it can do 11 hours of driving and charge less than the 10 for sleeper/off time plus it needs generator back up in case of emergency like weather and road closures plus it needs to be able to meet the personal conveyance of 50 miles a day after your 11 if needed. We are a long ways off.. Luckily I'm on the back side of my driving career I won't have to deal with it. I'm sure they will adjust the DOT regs to match what electric is capable of
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 07:15:49 PM by scott66 »
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait