Author Topic: The Tesla Semi will replace The Diesel Semi  (Read 13702 times)

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
Re: The Tesla Semi will replace The Diesel Semi
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2021, 12:21:03 PM »

and what if you could charge the Tesla semi in 1 hour?

...............the semi-truck’s charging port reveals an 8-pin configuration that’s significantly larger than the Supercharger port found on Model S, X,Y, and Model 3 passenger cars...

....it has been rumored to have 4 battery packs......we shall see .............soon.

......unlike a Supercharger that has a power output of roughly 120 kW, Tesla’s Megacharger will see more than ten times the power levels...........

link below:

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-semi-megacharger-charging-port-close-up-look/

The new 4680 cell will give the semi more range.....along the lines of 600+ miles.....and the battery packs will weigh less......cheaper to make

link below:

https://electrek.co/2021/02/12/elon-musk-reveals-tesla-semi-battery-pack-electric-truck/

No clutch. No gears. Will you be able to handle that Scotty?   :D :D  You might be able to eat that cheeseburger when the autopilot is on.

:salute

and a link for Shuffler:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2021, 12:28:50 PM »
So where is all the power going to come from to charge all the batteries needed for the this?

I read recently that we could not go all electric today if they wanted to...

We do not have the needed levels of electricity for it to happen.

So if we do not have that level of power with all the different types of power generation used today how will it be possible when only green energy production is permitted?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2021, 01:43:31 PM »

Correct. But not just because of electricity demand, for the car market you are restricted by rare earth element product. Global consumption of new cars is ~60million per year, potential EV production is probably around 5 million.

I've no idea where trucks fit into that model, but I suspect it'd be similar.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2021, 02:26:53 PM »
rare earth element product.

That's crap. Tesla already has motors that don't use any rare earth element magnets. They're called induction motors. If rare earths are a bottleneck at all, they can use the induction motors from the Model S / X instead of the permanent magnet motors from the Model 3 / Y. And before anyone says "but the batteries", the batteries don't have any rare earth elements in them at all.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2021, 03:31:31 PM »
So where is all the power going to come from to charge all the batteries needed for the this?

We do not have the needed levels of electricity for it to happen.

So if we do not have that level of power with all the different types of power generation used today how will it be possible when only green energy production is permitted?

Eagler

replace power with gasoline and you have a statement from 120 years ago when the cars started coming out of production.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2021, 03:43:48 PM »
@mano.....I don't think I'll ever be able to ride shotgun and let auto pilot drive but they are taking my shifting gears activity at from me anyways most of the new trucks are Auto shift I still have a 13 speed but mines older 2014..I miss my 2000 pete 379 with 18 speed it gave me something to do lol
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2021, 03:54:49 PM »
That's crap. Tesla already has motors that don't use any rare earth element magnets. They're called induction motors. If rare earths are a bottleneck at all, they can use the induction motors from the Model S / X instead of the permanent magnet motors from the Model 3 / Y. And before anyone says "but the batteries", the batteries don't have any rare earth elements in them at all.

Spot on !

link:

https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/16223/no-rare-earth-metals-in-the-model-s

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2021, 12:36:14 AM »

Uh huh : https://www.mining.com/all-the-mines-tesla-needs-to-build-20-million-cars-a-year/

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2021, 11:22:56 AM »
Uh huh : https://www.mining.com/all-the-mines-tesla-needs-to-build-20-million-cars-a-year/

Yeah, and? Your article does nothing to dispute what I said.

I'm guessing you have no idea what a rare earth element is.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline DurrD

• Zinc Member
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2021, 01:18:42 PM »
The rolling blackouts from this current winter storm are further evidence that our existing grid is not ready for an all-electric fleet.  I have no doubt that perhaps someday this will happen, I just don't see it happening in the next 20 years even, which is where many of the targets have been set by California, several European countries, and even General Motors.  We couldn't even handle a single day of people running their electric heaters some before they had to start shutting it down.  Imagine if everybody is charging their cars! 

Anyhow, they are going to have to improve a lot before I will be able to use one.  I'd love to drive a Tesla Model S to work, but my commute is a little over 80 miles one way, Monday through Thursday.  There are no electric vehicle charging facilities at either end, nor anywhere along the way.  Even if I installed one at home, I'm not sure there is enough time at night to charge it up enough to make the same near 200 mile trip the next day.  Until vehicle range and recharging technology improves a lot, I'll be driving my diesel VW Passat mostly I guess.
FBDurr -- A Freebird since 2013, been playing Aces High since 2001.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2021, 01:38:07 PM »
Jaguar plans all EV's by 2025,Ford has plans to revamp the german plant to build EV's for euro market and all EV/PHEV by 2030. Volvo has followed with hybred/ev only by next year.

Someone suggested I buy generac shares,hmmm might have to look into that.

Do they still make buggy whips?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2021, 03:31:30 PM »

Do they still make buggy whips?

you will never see me touching those. you know how they used to make them? exactly what you are thinking.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2021, 08:01:48 PM »
The rolling blackouts from this current winter storm are further evidence that our existing grid is not ready for an all-electric fleet.  I have no doubt that perhaps someday this will happen, I just don't see it happening in the next 20 years even, which is where many of the targets have been set by California, several European countries, and even General Motors.  We couldn't even handle a single day of people running their electric heaters some before they had to start shutting it down.  Imagine if everybody is charging their cars! 

Anyhow, they are going to have to improve a lot before I will be able to use one.  I'd love to drive a Tesla Model S to work, but my commute is a little over 80 miles one way, Monday through Thursday.  There are no electric vehicle charging facilities at either end, nor anywhere along the way.  Even if I installed one at home, I'm not sure there is enough time at night to charge it up enough to make the same near 200 mile trip the next day.  Until vehicle range and recharging technology improves a lot, I'll be driving my diesel VW Passat mostly I guess.

Yup, agreed!

Plus 10 years ago Texas suffered a similar brutal winter storm causing blackouts and grid failures.  The study conducted in that aftermath concluded the power grid was to blame and needs to be winterized.    Guess they didn't learn,  and oh,  they don't rely on any backup plans outside their state due to their independence, yet  are accepting FEMA emergency assistance.   Love the irony  :)
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2021, 03:27:11 AM »
Bruv got a semi yesterday
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2021, 02:38:53 AM »
Bruv got a semi yesterday

You've really got to stop giving him lapdances.