Author Topic: Dang WTH Happened to the Numbers???  (Read 23943 times)

Offline diaster

• Copper Member
Re: Dang WTH Happened to the Numbers???
« Reply #195 on: December 28, 2020, 01:47:55 PM »
<leaving watch mode>
I will try to Address the slow decline in numbers rather than sharks and the like.

Based on successful business models.
Advertising (% of budget/income) for google search -  pay per click, YouTube - aviation channels advertising. As to TV, younger demographics just don’t watch it like we do/did. Consider an increased Social presence, YouTube, Instagram, Facebook etc.. As mentioned before, better teaser videos, do a YouTube search on this, there are some pretty good aces high videos that... well to be frank, are better than what is on the website.

Arena Size - Taking a lesson from some 3rd person shooters that are quite popular and obvious frustration in arena size/flying to fights. Shrinkable maps, as the numbers fall, the border collapses inward (Battlefield Series). Some issues from that, strats, do they move as the map size changes or leave them untouchable as it shrinks. If strats remained outside the small map border it would remove “milk runs to strats” but would increase to some degree sub 20k bomber runs.

Playability (Personally I echo the sentiments of RV and Shuffler when it comes to ai.
When it comes to base feeding frenzies, I guess I will address some of the shark behavior after all). These are just ideas folks!
1. Defenses - make an auto gun on both ends  of runway unkillable and increase their accuracy (restrain to anti air only (remove from capture requirement) on those bases with on base map room). This may help keep the sharks from vulching on runways and allow some defenders to gain traction. What it does is make camping the runway harder and moves the fight to the air. Yes you will get people hugging ack and running to it so think of it this way, if that is happening, you are the winner of the confrontation. This could also be a feature of shrunken map only, I am not a coder so feasibility is out of my league.
2. Death ring on map border (standard game practice) - keeps buffs more in play
3. Bomb and bail = death and zero points - keeps buffs in play. I don’t know how many times people climb up to get them and when the DarBar switches, the buff guy bails. Why? Perhaps to avoid the death that hurts thier standing, maybe some don’t like returning, then don’t go :) ...
4 Idle time out (standard game practice) - Two benefits, it clears the tower and stops the base flashing from afk vehicles.  if you are there to bog down enemy efforts great! But you have to be there to turn your gun or something when the timer warns you not off having a beer with the boys.
5. Commander view main gun shooting - this has frustrated many players I know and I am not sure which way this should go but it is worth consideration at least. I do know that objects you can see and hit from commander view you cannot through the gun sight. It seems to be the gv equivalent of 3rd person in ftrs, which is disabled. I reckon the  guys who do this a lot won’t like it but can’t count how many times people have complained about rounds coming through hilltops.
6. Vehicle base hanger camping - how about all the hangers are spawnable. This will definitely involve more players to take a base that is being defended. Instead of just two camping the hanger and one running an M3.
7. 200, nope not going there!

These previous suggestions are more to keep Aces High in line as a war time simulator and eliminating some of the game the game attributes that make it more gamey. Not sure if this will actually increase playership or not, that is the subject for study. But I do think it may factor into retention. Just the other day many people logged because they were tired of being camped and just gave up, so the numbers went down.

Egocentric or points motivated behavior.
Again this is a sensitive topic, mostly with those that “do” want their name in lights. IMHO all of this should be changed. No running stats or who killed who, turn that message back off. As to xfighterx landed XX kills. You could change that to xfighterx has landed a successful sorty. Enable it for two or more kills as is current. Another option would be to tell only your country of your success. Kinda like in the real war. Again not sure about increasing playership but may contribute to retention.

This one is not quantifiable but is relevant. It is a personal choice of all the players if they want this game to be better and Is  ganging and picking/kill stealing. I often see four or five guys fly right past co-altitude fighters to gang on one low guy for what reason? To get the kill and name in lights of course.. of course I’m not referring to wingmen tactics! But everyone has seen it and everyone has complained about it and many do it! I think as a community we should try asking the person fighting if they want or need help. We have all  kills stolen after finally getting the advantage in a good contest only to have another teammate zoom in and destroy the adversary leaving one with an assist for all thier troubles! This is not to be confused with the con’s buddy coming to help him out (if he needs it) that’s legit!

This was more brainstorming than anything an I have covered a few ideas that are not new. Some would take little effort to implement and some would more effort. This commentary is my opinion and is as such not totally objective but is based on my experiences and those of my online friends who have repeatedly mentioned these things. I like this game and would like to see it like it was in its “glory days!” That will take compromise and concessions for sure.

In my organization the following model was used for policy changes, operating procedures implementation and was our philosophy based decision tree. A decision flowchart if you will. A change was objectively run through these criteria.
1. How does this affect or customers/community?
2. How does this affect our organization?
3. How does this affect management as a group?
4. How does this affect the work force as a group?
5. How does this affect the individual?
If all were positive, it was implemented easily but 1 through 4 were mandatory for any change.

In regards to Aces High perhaps the following:

1. Does it benefit the game, drawing in more players? If the answer is yes then
2. Does it benefit HTC? If yes then
3. Does it benefit our community? If yes then
4. How does it impact the individual to the extent it may cause them to quit?

An example I will offer up, quite simplified.(of course risk v gain needs to be a factor)..
Advertising will draw in more players so 1. Is yes
Advertising will thereby increase HTC income so 2. Is yes
Advertising will increase players and therefore fights and Benefit the community so 3. Is yes
Advertising will impact the individual positively with more fights and increased game play so the answer is do it!

I hope this commentary is taken as I was trying to deliver. Constructive ideas that may help us grow. The big unknown is Playabilty above, that is probably a polling question. For example I have no idea how many people will quit if bomb and bail, or activity timer is implemented.

Dale, a way to address this may be to form a group of people you trust to really look into some of these and others ideas to see if they have merit. I am sure many of these experienced people and contributors above would be happy to help in that respect!

With all that said, Happy New Year to all of you and I hope for more fun for everyone in Aces High III in 2021.

<back to watch mode>
"Harden The F_ck Up”

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #196 on: December 28, 2020, 03:53:05 PM »
A few lower tier planes and GVs is not a bad idea. IMHO.

+1

Defenses - make an auto gun on both ends  of runway unkillable and increase their accuracy

Diaster, I like all your other ideas though.  88s are stupid accurate already.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 04:02:53 PM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #197 on: December 29, 2020, 01:58:52 PM »
I think I paid $2.95 for the battle of Stalingrad on a Steam sale recently but now I just need to buy some more planes if I want them. I found Rise of Flight really hit me hard for DLC I just had to have a lot of them planes.

I spent a fortune on the planes for RoF, I had the same need to get a bunch of those planes.  Found out the same with the IL2 Battleground games, had to get each new "Battleground" when they were released.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #198 on: December 29, 2020, 03:35:56 PM »
Not reading the whole thread because, well because.

Have they thought about advertising on youtube channels like The Great War, WW2 by Indy Neidel, Mark Felton Productions, and many more? Each one of those get hundreds of thousands of views, some millions. I see World of _____ on there all the time. They did the Pearl Harbor Special with World of Ships but thought that if they used Aces High, it would've looked much better.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #199 on: December 29, 2020, 03:54:31 PM »
Not reading the whole thread because, well because.

Have they thought about advertising on youtube channels like The Great War, WW2 by Indy Neidel, Mark Felton Productions, and many more? Each one of those get hundreds of thousands of views, some millions. I see World of _____ on there all the time. They did the Pearl Harbor Special with World of Ships but thought that if they used Aces High, it would've looked much better.

I watch youtube a lot and never see advertisements.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #200 on: December 29, 2020, 07:16:39 PM »
I watch youtube a lot and never see advertisements.

Do you have an adblocker? Lol

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #201 on: December 30, 2020, 12:53:52 AM »
Claim Jumpers still rook? Didn't they make 7 or 8 squads at one time due to the 32 player limit per?

Arlo from AW and AH?
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #202 on: December 30, 2020, 09:07:43 AM »
The "pay to cheat" path is available in many games today. It is popular with those too lazy to actually improve. Sadly many so called gamers fall into that category.

I agree with this.

Game quality is great but much of the new blood is comprised of people who can't be bothered to learn how to become awesome.

What percentage of players are left who would spend hours configuring their machine to best run earlier flight sims to the point of writing custom configuration files and modem strings?

The definition of "gamer" is not what it was.

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #203 on: December 30, 2020, 10:44:25 AM »

...Dale, a way to address this may be to form a group of people you trust to really look into some of these and others ideas to see if they have merit. I am sure many of these experienced people and contributors above would be happy to help in that respect!

With all that said, Happy New Year to all of you and I hope for more fun for everyone in Aces High III in 2021.

Some really good stuff in that post, and echoes some thoughts I had posted a couple months back. But I'd like to key in on these 2x statements.

1) The player base is very loud and vocal on the forums, but I think a small focus group would be interesting. Dale/HiTech would have to agree to that, but it could be like a little player's committee. If Dale doesn't want to run the game without that input, it is 100% his call, but it could be nice to pull in some volunteer effort to sort the wheat from chaff and think through the implications of any changes that the player base has put forth

2) Yes, a very happy and fun new year to all. This pandemic has brought out a lot of change. Not the least of which is some more time at home, and thus some time to be able to enjoy more time in AHIII!
AKSpnDoc
Spin Doc's Aces High VR Video channel! https://youtu.be/BKk7_OOHkgI

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #204 on: December 30, 2020, 11:34:32 AM »
Do you have an adblocker? Lol

Yes...... I always watch youtube through a browser and not the youtube app also. That way it blocks the ads.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #205 on: December 30, 2020, 06:27:12 PM »
Yes...... I always watch youtube through a browser and not the youtube app also. That way it blocks the ads.

I do believe there's a large population that watches on phones and youtube apps like on Roku or AppleTV. Haven't been able to get an adblocker on those or I'd done the same!

It's just a different route, that has a lot of viewership. No idea on the pricing of stuff like that.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #206 on: December 30, 2020, 08:40:15 PM »
Sigh sigh.

The good days of Titans Tuesday aka tantrum Tuesday or titanic tantrum.   
Having two late war arenas that cap at 600 players with never ending fights.
FSO with over 500 players.
AvA +100.
50-100 players do memorial flight for one of the fallen.
Great squads; pigs with wings, jg-54, das muppets, unforgiven, CJ....
Gv raids

Days we will never see again. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #207 on: December 30, 2020, 09:51:22 PM »
Days we will never see again.

True!

And so what?

We will never see pirate days again, or Mongol horde days again.  We live for what we have today.

Which is still pretty good.  I haven't lacked for entertainment.

- oldman

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #208 on: December 30, 2020, 11:36:01 PM »

True!

And so what?

We will never see pirate days again, or Mongol horde days again.  We live for what we have today.

Which is still pretty good.  I haven't lacked for entertainment.

- oldman

Did you run everyone of again?

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #209 on: December 31, 2020, 01:13:50 AM »
Another topic that has been run over and over again, with good reason.

Imbalance is the problem.  ENY tried to address that but all it did when I played was piss me off and piss me off enough to log off when it got stupid.

To those that say 'change sides and no ENY'...please READ THIS CAREFULLY...  We could change sides and the fight would evaporate to the other front leaving us nothing to do (fighter pilot, really not interested in any other aspect).  So I would change sides and no fight 30 minutes later but stuck for 12 then 6 hours.  nah, outta here.

Imbalance takes many forms though, it could be a horde, it could be 2 sides on 1 or it could be late war planes against early war.  ENY tried to address that last point but it really did not work.

For me, to make it more fun I would have restricted planes to time periods.  Early, mid, late.  Cycle that on a time basis, for arguments sake 30 minutes a period.  Once that period is over you lose the right to fly the later period plane, you can continue in a lower plane if preferred but once your sortie in a later period ends, be it die, land or refuel.

But I liked fighter plane action so obviously my preference favours that play style.

Problem is there is no way to please us all and I feel that is the essential problem with the game.  It tries to be all things to all men and ends up being poor at everything rather than excellent at one thing.