Author Topic: Free to play 35-40 ENY planes good or bad idea?  (Read 3143 times)

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
Free to play 35-40 ENY planes good or bad idea?
« on: January 24, 2021, 08:27:23 AM »
I'm curious as to the pro and con arguments for this as I believe it would help the numbers and new player subs, however I'm aware there there could be something I'm missing.

It seems it would get a bunch of planes out of the hanger and if the FTP players could build their perks but not use them until they subbed that it might motivate them to sub.

I know there is a 2 week trial but if I came in brand new I don't think there's much chance of my being successful in 2 weeks.

I know that other WW2 sims have FTP with basic equipment and it seemed to help the numbers as they did away with FTP for about a month in one that I play and they immediately reversed course when they saw the drop in numbers.

Looking for constructive input please...

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Free to play 35-40 ENY planes good or bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 09:37:37 AM »
Two weeks is to try the game out, not to get successful. There are already areas free to play. Yes no one is in there...... there is your answer.

Of course I may not be around much longer. They killed the only thing that attempted to even sides. Next, purchase code to make you better. Who knows.

Have not played in the last 2 or 3 weeks. Signed on last night for about 10-15 minutes. At least no shark cards..... yet.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 09:44:51 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 10:13:43 AM »
Fair enough. I'm just saying that if I got owned for 2 weeks as a newbe I doubt that I would sub.

You don't think that the reason that nobody is there is because nobody is there? I mean I think more people would be interested to play in an area that had people in it and that would be the main.

It seems to me that there are a few people who seem to be able to influence the path of the game more then others so I can understand your frustration.

I'm just trying to understand why or why not it wouldn't be a good idea to implement FTP in the main, even if it was for a trial basis as I've seen it work to increase numbers in other games.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 10:14:01 AM »
2 weeks is not enough, and the way they say it "Free to Play!" does nothing but piss off the new players because while technically you can play for free, there is nobody in those arenas like Shuffler said and the arena where everyone IS you have to PAY for. So to play the real game all you get is 2 weeks and most say "Screw you!" long before that.

I have always thought a bunch of 35-40 ENY planes and vehicles being free in the main arena was a great idea. 5 fighters, a buff, a couple of vehicles including the M3 and the goon should be open and free in the main arena HTC already has the "log in" page setup. All he needs to do is for those with out paid subs have a limited hanger page. Grey out the equipment they cant use so they can see what they are missing. This way playing for free doesnt cost THEM anything but time. It may not look like it will fill HTC cash box, but over time it will help. Less players leaving because of low numbers more new players coming in to test the waters and some WILL subscribe. Even the ones that dont subscribe will help with word of mouth advertising bring in more new players.

Personally I dont see a downside other than the work it will take to setup the "free group" in the login process. Server already are setup to handle 1000 players and all of that background stuff is bought and paid for (I would think)

Two weeks is to try the game out, not to get successful. There are already areas free to play. Yes no one is in there...... there is your answer.

Of course I may not be around much longer. They killed the only thing that attempted to even sides. Next, purchase code to make you better. Who knows.

Have not played in the last 2 or 3 weeks. Signed on last night for about 10-15 minutes. At least no shark cards..... yet.

Personally I dont see a big difference with or with out ENY restrictions. "Sometimes your the hammer, sometimes your the nail" As when ENY was on, you can switch side to find the fight your looking for, or to get away from the one your in. 

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 10:23:18 AM »
I don't think it would be that hard to configure as you have the arena configuration ability already so it seems to me you could have two groups that people who were logging in were part of. One could be FTP with the FTP arena configuration and the other could be paid members with the paid members or default configuration. It seems that way you could even throw in a bonus plane or tank from time to time without much work.

Offline Peanut1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 10:36:43 AM »

Shuffler, there is a constant pattern of you having  zero tolerance for any new ideas, as if the current plan is working. Quit being foolish. Do you even play anymore?

Offline Peanut1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 10:38:49 AM »
Hitech, please consider a trial of this? We love this game with passion but need more pilots ! I will use the forbribes link if you consider....

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 11:00:42 AM »
Shuffler, there is a constant pattern of you having  zero tolerance for any new ideas, as if the current plan is working. Quit being foolish. Do you even play anymore?

Let me know when there is a NEW IDEA.

Not the same old beating a dead horse.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 11:06:01 AM »
I'm trying to use defibrillators on the horse not beat it!

What I mean is surely there is some variation of the idea that you might think is doable?

What do you think is the best idea Shuffler?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 11:11:29 AM »
I'm trying to use defibrillators on the horse not beat it!

What I mean is surely there is some variation of the idea that you might think is doable?

What do you think is the best idea Shuffler?

Recently it was suggested that time switch to low number side be lowered or negated. That discussion seemed to be bearing fruit. Discussion included HT and they were discussing adjustments based on HT's input.

Nothing will entirely fix the issue. People are broken.. There needs to be something to help with the problem though.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 11:14:36 AM »
Good idea.

I also like the idea of a complete perk arena. Every aircraft below 35-40 costs perks to fly, Values of aircraft separated by islands or mountains, that way you can visit each island in the arena and not be outclassed if you dont have the perks. Make the perks available for purchase where it is roughly comparable to a month's subscription for those who don't want to grind for perks.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 11:19:10 AM »

Soon to be back with other mods.

HiTech

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 11:27:17 AM »
Recently it was suggested that time switch to low number side be lowered or negated. That discussion seemed to be bearing fruit. Discussion included HT and they were discussing adjustments based on HT's input.

Nothing will entirely fix the issue. People are broken.. There needs to be something to help with the problem though.

I remember this discussion and it seems like I good idea.
But without having aircraft restricted by ENY I don't see a reason a person would move. What I'm trying to understand is why one would leave the country that has a massive number advantage to go to fly the same plane against a massive number of enemies. Maybe I'm missing something?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2021, 11:41:14 AM »
Soon to be back with other mods.

HiTech

eww, eww, eww!!! 2 weeks?   :D

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2021, 12:12:00 PM »
zero tolerance for any new ideas

Are you speaking of the multiple player made suggestions that are implemented in the next release?

Simply because I disagree with your view about an idea, don't think I'm not always looking for player ideas.

Normally I don't post on topics like this because no matter what I give as reason people in favor will simply ignore my reasons and continue to argue for what they think is a good idea.

First you must realize that you and I do not have the same goals. You goal is to maximize players in the arena. The best way to accomplish your goal is to simply make all free. My ultimate goal is to maximize profits.

But This time I will break the normal and post my thoughts.

I do not believe it would have and positive effect on player conversion. (I.E. convert free to paying player)
Look at the augments in this thread about time to learn and frustration of not getting kills. So now you propose a new player fly a less capable plane to succeed?
And statements like this.

2 weeks is not enough, and the way they say it "Free to Play!" does nothing but piss off the new players because while technically you can play for free,

Are simply way off the mark, if a someone is angry that all parts are not free forever , then they would never be a subscriber no matter  what we did. They would also be upset that all planes were not free.
It also ignores how the word free attached to the game entice people to download and try and take a look. If we did not use the free hook then the person you are describe who get pissed off, would never even download the game.

We do not even ask for your name while many free trials require a credit card and will automatically subscribe after the trial. You to come try Aces High no strings attached.

Now also do not think I believe everything  is fine. The core issue remains how to raise the conversion % of players who down load to players who become a paying subscriber. With out raising this % any suggestion of advertise increase are not doable because the ROI on the advertising does not make it. We currently get plenty of people downloading and trying the game. The issue is that our conversion ratio is about 1/2 what it used to be. In reality the %  is lower then when we advertised a lot, because simply finding us now (with out advertising ) means you are better disposed to become a subscriber. If I can find a way to double that conversion suddenly we are growing quickly again and advertising becomes worth the cost.

My current thoughts involve methods of forcing new players threw automated training thus giving them a felling of progressing and accomplishments before being thrown into the main arena.

HiTech